Indispensable accessories

Bome Midi Translator Pro - Transformed my old POD HD500 to a great extension to Axefx3 switching (allows for creation of 2 sets of grouped switches and 2 functions per switch). Also provides for lots of other midi programming if you are game for that sort of thing.

Weber MiniMass - Enables a cranked small amp power section at lower volume. Yes, there are better available these days but this one is cheap and works well for general usage.

Gravity Picks - Love these - expensive, but have a particular "attack" that I really like.

Laptop Riser - Allows midi keyboard to fit under raised laptop on my desk

Very useful thread Yek, thanks a ton!!
Appreciate the additions to Yek's list as well.

Thanks for the Neve suggestions...more money ;)

I got one of these about 3 months ago to make monitor control easier and it's been AWESOME!

I just started using the USB interface with my work laptop so I can quickly run audio to my monitors from that laptop. Works just great as an output-only connection.

For the price, the package is impressive especially that it includes an audio interface! I was also looking at the SPL 2Control which is nearly 3 times the price (in the UK) so the Behringer is a welcome addition to my home studio! Phew, money saved to put towards a MkII!

Bome Midi Translator Pro - Transformed my old POD HD500 to a great extension to Axefx3 switching (allows for creation of 2 sets of grouped switches and 2 functions per switch). Also provides for lots of other midi programming if you are game for that sort of thing.

Weber MiniMass - Enables a cranked small amp power section at lower volume. Yes, there are better available these days but this one is cheap and works well for general usage.

Gravity Picks - Love these - expensive, but have a particular "attack" that I really like.

Laptop Riser - Allows midi keyboard to fit under raised laptop on my desk
I have a Stereo MASS. Great for an attenuator or load box. I also have an LCR dummy load I built back in the '90s from high power crossover parts to run a slaved EL84 amp in my old rack. I had a Hafler Hellrazor feeding the amp, a modified Knight KM15 monobloc hi-fi amp. Probably the best iteration of my rack rig from the days when dirt was rock....

especially that it includes an audio interface
It's uni-directional, audio out over USB only FWIW. Handy, for certain.

It fixed the problem I had with using my X-Air 18 at home and it not having any physical controls.

A worthwhile contender for an accessory to avoid is a Gator 2 guitar gig bag. Carry straps stitching breaks within a couple of weeks and now the front pocket zip just went pinging across the room a while ago.

Great list @yek, always love to have nice gadgets around to make life easier. Can make a couple of contributions:

On my desk, I use my Rolls MX 122 Mixer (https://rolls.com/product/MX122) with connections to my Sonos Port, AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB Dac, Scarlett 8i6 and my FM3. That MONITOR2USB looks interesting as well but I find my setup works well for me. The Rolls has headphone out as well.

On my FM3 board (and previously my Ax8 board and before then my Axe Fx 2 board) I always have at least one mini expression pedal from This1smyne (http://this1smyne.com/shop/me-mini-expression-pedal/). Currently one that controls lead volume boost between 0-8dB (4dB as 12 o'clock that is my starting position).

I've tried a bunch of wireless systems and settled on Line 6 G10s. I like the pedalboard format and the fact it has both power and signal indicators, without having a big pouch for the transmitter.

Enjoyed https://barefootbuttons.com since I discovered them.

Settled on Earasers: https://www.earasers.net musicians earplugs after trying a few different ear plugs. Comfortable, not really visible and attenuates a good amount for me.

All my guitars that require 9V use ANSMANN Rechargeable 9V Battery 300mAh. I tested a few and these have the highest voltage of all rechargeable batteries I tested. Some rechargeable batteries are down to close to 8V and I tried one with a builtin usb charger and that caused heaps of noise.

I use a PowerCube Remote (https://www.amazon.com.au/Allocacoc-PowerCube-Socket-Mountable-Charger/dp/B077LY21TJ) that is connected to my FM3 and my two CLRs at home so one press on the remote turns all of them on. Very handy.

Though not strictly a 'guitar accessory', few things have been as helpful when playing guitar while doing home DAW work than my motorized standing desk. I prefer to stand while playing (or singing) and with a single button push the entire DAW system rises to the challenge.

Cloudlifter
Connecting a microphone directly to the FM3, Axe-Fx or CLR, won’t deliver enough signal level. This device increases level with 25dB. It’s phantom powered, so you need an external phantom power source; I use the one that comes with the Neve RNDI.

You've confused me a bit on this one. How are you plugging in, say an SM58 (from your list) using the Cloudlifter (into the CLR) via the RNDI for phantom? You refer to a phantom power source that comes with the Neve. Please explain, I didn't get one with my RNDI (if that's what you mean). Thx

You've confused me a bit on this one. How are you plugging in, say an SM58 (from your list) using the Cloudlifter (into the CLR) via the RNDI for phantom? You refer to a phantom power source that comes with the Neve. Please explain, I didn't get one with my RNDI (if that's what you mean). Thx

Yeah, my mistake, the phantom power supply came with another mic, the Oktava. It has XLR in and out, only to supple phantom power. So the mic goes into the phantom power supply first, then into the Cloudlifter, and then into the device.

Looking at the suggestions here, the Eventide MixingLink might be the better choice, because it does the same, and much more.

Those using the String Stretcha, is there anything that you would improve on the design?

I am going to make a 3D printer design, because I find it too expensive for what it is.

There is a review saying that you have to be careful to avoid sctratching the neck, so I will try to round the edges. I am wondering if there are other areas to improve

Those using the String Stretcha, is there anything that you would improve on the design?

I am going to make a 3D printer design, because I find it too expensive for what it is.

There is a review saying that you have to be careful to avoid sctratching the neck, so I will try to round the edges. I am wondering if there are other areas to improve
Uhh... I can't imagine how you would possibly scratch the neck... It can bump the frets if you don't pay attention but I have no concern about that.

Also, I have no experience with 3D printing but there's actually a fair bit of tension on the device. I'm not sure something you print will be strong enough.

In the US I can get one for $13... What's the cost for you?

Uhh... I can't imagine how you would possibly scratch the neck... It can bump the frets if you don't pay attention but I have no concern about that.

Also, I have no experience with 3D printing but there's actually a fair bit of tension on the device. I'm not sure something you print will be strong enough.

In the US I can get one for $13... What's the cost for you?

This is the review saying that you can dent your fretboard if you are not careful with the Stretcha. Maybe he is a brute
https://www.guitaranswerguy.com/002/

The tensile strength, density and strength to weight of epoxy (Stretcha) and ABS (3D printer material) is not very different. I don't think that it would break.

The cheapest one I've found that ships to Thailand (from Ebay Japan) is $40.97 inc shiping. I'll start with the design during the spare time at the office. There is no rush, just for fun. In the meantime, I'll keep doing like @Joe Bfstplk but without breaking the strings :D

Back
Top Bottom