Incredibly long winded, wandering, loquacious, geeky, effluviastic review

nikki-k

Experienced
I will preface this review with a warning, and a bit about myself:
I am a mid-forties paraplegic Autistic female with past injuries that inhibit my playing ability to various degrees. I meander and misdescribe due to a failure to communicate ideas/observations/etc "properly"/well at times. I find reviews (and myself? lol) to be a little.. pretentious, pompous, narcissistic, etc at times.. but, I also value reviews highly. At times, I make Lewis Carroll (Charles Dodgson) seem to be more firmly anchored in reality. Also, tangential conversation is "normal" (ugh, that word) to, and for, me. I have played guitar and bass in various A/B circuit bands (lots of covers, lots of originals), worked in studios (both sides of the glass, nothing of real note though), and done FOH (in house and A/B circuit tours). I play guitar, bass, piano/keyboards, and I am learning to play a wind instrument (Yamaha WX-11). My favorite genre is "prog rock." While guitar could be considered my primary (and more fluent) instrument, I consider myself a musician first, guitarist (bassist, or other "-ist") second. I do not, and do not presume to, "know it all." Very far from it! With this provided as "fair warning" of how "*insert expletive/descriptor here*" this may get, please feel free to follow this or ignore it!

I purchased an Ultra back a few years ago, and wrote a review piece on the (older?) forums; it was a "day-to-day" type review. I would like to do the same here. I do not like to make nor retain an unmalleable opinion. Particularly, I find that it can require ~7 days to truly experience something before a foundational opinion is built. In the end, I returned the Ultra within the 15-day guarantee period. I will touch upon those reasons via comparatives within this review. I will preface this also with a simple declaration: I will not be sending the Axe FX II back. I already see it as surpassing the Ultra by (at least) a giant leap, and my own psychological factors have been placed firmly in check. This time, I am not replacing, I am supplementing. Also, with something this deep, I feel it will require far more than a (simple) 15-day period to properly dig into, and thus give a fair shake. Also, and finally, I may seem a bit clinical, pedantic, etc at times; but, in fact, I can be very childlike, and as such be full of awe and fascination.. and be quite "immature" :lol

For now though...
IT IS HERE!!!
It is beautiful!!!
I am unable to rack it myself, so I will need to wait until my better half has time to help 8)
View attachment 7913View attachment 7914

Next post: Day One!
(btw- I purchased mine from Tone Merchants)

First Impressions...
...Sort of

Well packed.
Love the manual, and hate the manual.

Manual
Okay, time to qualify that last statement. I love the construction, but will likely do what I do with many manuals: three hole punch it and ring binder it. I love tech, and love manuals, journals, etc. Having spent time with *complex* equipment, I have grown to expect a certain amount of deciphering to be required; this is not the case here. For the typical(?) user, I can see this being a great gateway, with the online wiki providing the bulk of what one might *typically* desire to know. However, having spent time with other deep/complex gear, I would love to have had a more comprehensive- perhaps secondary- manual. I am not faulting what is provided! Additionally, I applaud Fractal for even including a printed manual, as this seems to be a diminishing inclusion these days. Also, I applaud them for omitting certain bits, such as a preset list, as this is content that will evolve over time, given the nature of the beast and the frequency and lifespan of firmware updates.

I will need to spend time with the wiki, and hopefully find a way to create a local copy for myself. One of the things I love about online manuals/wikis is the ability to virtually "highlight marker" them (especially PDFs). In the past, I have even spent large amounts of money photocopying manuals, just to be able to retain a copy of the original, and have one to mark up for myself. I did download the PDF manual (actually, grabbed that months ago), but have not checked to see if it is editable by default yet. The manual was easy to find online, as were almost all of the most recent materials. Axe-Edit is the reason for the "almost" (covered later).

The Fan
Ugh. Yuck.
A common comorbid for Autistics is SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder). This can manifest in a myriad of ways, from person to person as well as within each individual. For me, one of my issues is with sound, specifically higher-pitched sounds. As such, and since I build my own computer systems, fans are a major consideration, from video cards (I love gaming as well) to case fans to CPU fans. My Kurzweil K2500XS is usually powered off unless I want to play it due to the fan. The fan in the Axe that i got has a steady hum, but also has a very high pitched whine. It is racked (20 space rolling studio rack, filled but space above and below the Axe via gear placement; Korg tuner above). I would definitely like to find a replacement that fits the requirements, but is quieter.

Construction
Beautiful! IMO, the Axe FX II has benefited from its predecessors. Features, their placements, etc have all benefited. Buttons feel solid, and operate nicely, as does the Value wheel. Jacks feel solid, unsure of the brand used. I really like the slightly recessed front jacks, and the handles, as with the Ultra, are perfect for this unit IMO. A+ so far, really love this!

Other
Interestingly, the firmeware is 2.00c (Sep 20 2011). Since my unit arrived at Tone Merchants on Tuesday last week (delayed ship to me due to holiday), I was expecting a later firmware, possibly the most recent. However, expecting the most recent would have been unreasonable IMO (given the circumstances). Is this a complaint? Hahahaha!!! Oh, no no no... quite the opposite! As soon as I saw the firmware, I smiled. Why? Because this allows me to try a firmware that is two months old (that's ten years to you and me, Russ), and then compare it with the newest 3.x firmware that has so many flipping out over how good it is.

I noticed that no software was included. Once again, with the frequency and lifespan of updates, I could not see this as being a reasonable expectation. I applaud Fractal for not wasting time and materials where it would be wasted. This does require the new owner to find those materials, and in doing so, figure out which ones they will need. Fractal site -> Support -> grab what you need. Everything but Axe-edit was right there, clearly marked and easy to download. For Axe-Edit, I had to return to the front page and there it was at the bottom. Clearly marked, easy to find from there. However, IMO, a link on that software materials download page would be really nice. I actually typed, "axe fx axe-edit" into google to find it, and it presented me with the Fractal front page, and the aforementioned content kinda slapped me in the face. Duh on me.

Installation was smooth and without issue. I have installed, but not tested, the USB driver and Axe-Edit. I opened Axe-Edit for a peek, and I do have the USB cable hooked up, and the taskbar icon (W7x64) appears to function. Once I have given firmware 2.00c a run, updates and such will be next... and I will do so via USB and Axe-Edit.

So far so good!
Time to actually play a bit! 8)

LOL on the dictionary :lol
I have tried to change, but I end up using so many additional words in an effort to feel I have explained/communicated well/properly, so I gave up. As far as video games.. I am actually not into them as much as one might think. When I was building a new system years ago, one of the *new* benchmarking apps being used was.. Quake 3! I was baffled, so I bought the game, and after playing it several times over a few days, I was about to shrug my shoulders and move on with music. But, I discovered a variation called "Xsiv" (by a guy called "Mr Pants"), and lucked into becoming friends with a guy who called himself "Meatgrinder" that was flying around with a lightning gun. Intrigued and utterly fascinated.. and now being mentored.. I was hooked. I enjoyed games when they were new, like Pong and Asteroids, etc. But I never really got "hooked." I loved programming more (my Dad is a programmer, now retired after 43 years doing so.. as well as being a Jazz musician). I love.. challenging games. Robotron was the first that really hooked me. I need games that demand you to let go of conscious thought due to the intensity. Enough babbling off topic (for now?)

First, more primer.

I am using..
Two 4x12 cabs; one has V30 style speakers + a pair of funky jukebox speakers, X pattern (I know- but they rock!); the other is loaded with EVM12L's. Also, Two 2x12 cabs, one with Celestion Greenbacks, the other with H30's (Hellatones). I will be using a Carvin Legacy that I modified (one mod is a PPIMV), and I run either EL34 (Ruby) or 2 JJ EL34 + 2 JJ 6L6 (closely matched, these bias very well), and I also vary the preamp tubes (primarily.. old Brimar ECC83's, plus various JJ, Chinese unmarked, Tung Sol, etc) as a comparison for general tone and feel, and also the FX Return to feed with the Axe (cab + PA off, of course). I am using the Legacy since there is no Legacy amp model in the Axe FX II (at this time), and I am NOT attempting to replace tube amps with the Axe. I simply want to see if I can get a similar vibe.. "does it feel and sound good to me *live*?" My Legacy is my fav all-around tube amp right now, so if the Axe can make me as happy :mrgreen. Also, I will be using a nice old MosValve MV962 (love these things!). Final amp.. drum roll.. my favorite practice amp (so much so that I bought 3 of them, wore one out).. a Peavey Audition Chorus. Yes, an old 90's solid state 2-6" speaker combo. However, I removed the "head" from one of mine, and mounted it in a custom box, and made a couple jack plates for the speaker out wires to hook to. Typically, I keep this in the bedroom, hooked up to the Greenback 2x12. This has been my low volume "goto amp" for 2 decades plus now.

For a direct/recording solution, I will be using a Steinberg MR816 (bypassing the pre's via insert inject), cabling the Balanced Output 1 from the Axe. The MR816 has direct monitoring capabilities, so no host being used. When I record, I will be using.. Cubase 6, PT9, and Reaper 4.xx. Monitoring is via a Blue Sky System One 5.1 system, with an additional 15" sub (swappable with the default 12" sub, or run in tandem). The system is calibrated and arranged according to current Dolby specs (surrounds at ~110 degrees; not being used for these reviews).

Firmware 2.00c
Varied presets, just as with the Ultra. I love the sheer number of effects, but I did notice that the number of amp (sic) models are in greater abundance. MUCH greater. I did notice a bit of a variation in overall *volume* levels however. I caught myself altering amp/out put levels several times, most notably when going from clean to *distorted* and back. Since I will only be using custom patches during actual use, this is not a big deal for me. I did reflash the banks with the included banks with Axe-Edit (review on that coming up!).

The effects are stellar upon initial listening and "fooling around with." I will need to really dig in, both in memory recall and deeper editing in the Axe, to come up with any comparative with the Ultra. Since my experience with the Ultra was earlier on, I would have to imagine there have been HUGE strides here. Also of note: I am NOT going to be expecting to get TC, Eventide, etc rack unit specific operational *equalities* here, just as I would not expect to get the same qualities of the Axe with those pieces. An Eventide H8000, for instance, is a behemoth unit with a different intent, a decades long legacy, and hardware accommodations that specifically target multi-channel, incredibly demanding users. IMO, the Axe units were made for us guitarists (and bassists) (guitarists/bassists are also incredibly demanding users.. sometimes more so, lol), and that is why I bought one. I do not need, nor do I want, 5.1 surround and other niceties.. better a developer spend time and effort on things that benefit us musicians. You cannot swap from pentode to triode in an H8000, can you? The Axe is a behemoth unto itself, as it should be (IMO) 'Nuff said.

However!!! In the future, and since I love "painting soundscapes" (in addition to good ol' "blast that amp 'til glass explodes!"), more EHX and other pedal oddities/exclusives would be a VERY welcome addition. After spending all of my 2011 & 2012 money on the Axe FX II, I cannot afford those sweet little boxes of aural goodness. Then again... the Axe is filled with SOOOOOO much evil-grin inducing depth of tech-no-geekiness that I doubt I will find time to miss those hunks of metal that much.

The amps!
(sigh) Ready to cut me apart yet? As Yoda said.. "You will be. You. Will. Be."
I do not like the preamps with the II any more than I did with the Ultra. (braces for impact). Before finishing that swing of your lightsaber, please allow me to elaborate.. I actually liked the Ultra preamps. I did not love them though. Still present is an exaggerated attack (picked or not), and still present is the modeler-like fizz. I liken it to.. the 4k-ish part of paper being torn. Imagine making an IR of a piece of paper being torn in half (moderate speed), EQ out all but a semi-high Q of around 4k, and then run a preamp through that, and mix it in with the really good part of that preamp sound. I can EQ it out rather easily (but lose upper *definition* in the process), but there is still this.. the body and harmonics are just not.. completely.. 100%.. (eeek).. there. I wish I could explain this properly. At times I think I have the answer.. that it might be a matter of those "paper torn edges" simply needing to have more.. "body." If they had "body," they would lose that harsh edge.

To qualify the previous paragraph a bit, please understand that I have NOT tweaked anything yet! I have not played with EQ, I have not played with amp settings, and I have not tried changing IRs. I am very aware of how these factors can have incredible affect. This is an initial, personal observation. Also, as I previously stated in the last post, I do have SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder). I am incredibly sensitive to high-pitched sound. I am unable to be around certain types of lighting for very long due to this, for example. So, when I describe a harshness at ~4k, this is likely not a typical reaction/observation. Ditto, times a thousand, for the attack thing. I am simply attempting to be honest here, but constructively so. I doubt I am the only one to experience this; even if I am, someone may come along and have a similar experience. They will be able to have the benefit of how I overcome these things :D And I will! I have experienced it with tube amps, so this is not solely a "modeler" thing here. This is NOT the same as typical modeler fizz, though I did describe it as such prior. When I described it, I did say, "modeler-LIKE." Plus, this is firmware 2.00c. Version 3.xx might eliminate these things completely. Plus, they are the ONLY true downsides.. true "cons".. to all the pros I am discovering.

Axe-Edit
F'ing AMAZING!
Yes, caps. Axe-Edit, back when the Ultra was young, was a tortuous yet rewarding experience. It was like.. having toes slowly cut from your feet.. but then being able to run more quickly following the horrid amputation (no offense to horridly toe amputated folks out there!). It was a multiple torture.. DeSade smiling as one would attempt to find a magical MIDI box that actually worked.. an app to allow Axe-Edit to function well (or at all). But when it did, it was glorious! With the Axe FX II, we have USB. Oh, the tears of joy! IT WORKS!!!! I spent about ten minutes playing with the various features.. but not playing guitar while doing so.. and then I went and did it. Yes, the "big thing to do." I updated.. no, upgraded.. to version 3.02. And it worked! I grabbed some papple pie (pumpkin and apple.. one word, only one piece technically :lol), and when I returned, the Axe was sitting there all happy on preset 000. I hopped over to Utility -> Firmware and lo and behold- 3.02 Nov 16 2011. Next, I uploaded the new syx banks. The latest were included with the latest version of Axe-Edit, so no need to search for the others I downloaded.

Loading the new syx bank files without searching for destructions on how to do so (the true test of "ease of use"!) was actually very intuitive.. yet more kudos! to Fractal. If I were traveling on the road with the Axe FX II, I would have to have a laptop.. or netbook.. just to at least have Axe-Edit. Plus- AxeManage!!! Oh, the expletives I would so love to use to emphasize how &^#$%#$%@ happy this makes me!!! I imagine I will find bugs; it is a beta still, and the Axe FX II is still on foal legs (relatively speaking). I love editability, I love organization, I love libraries, and I love computer *stuff*. So.. I &%$@&^$# love this!!! For traveling.. no, scratch that.. for anyone who owns an Axe FX II and a tablet (ipad, Galaxy S, etc), iOS and Android versions of Axe-Edit would be... even more &^%$#%$% incredible! (okay, calming down now.. I am sorry, but this is just.. amazing!!! I could go on.. and likely will in coming days/weeks/months).

I must stop here, for version 3 awaits. I will only have time to try the new version with my studio monitors. Besides- I am very interested to experience the new Pentode feature and other goodies that really require that type of situation (versus "power amp/speaker/mic off for real power amp + cab use"). Overall, so far, I am giving it an 8 out of 10. I am loathe to do so, as I truly feel it is shortchanging the Axe, but I am interested to see how version 3 will impact my impressions, and even more interested in how time will affect them. The only remaining qualms from my Ultra trial appear to be the aforementioned preamp bits, which may be a simple matter of tweaks and cab/mic selections that are just right .. for me :mrgreen

I would check out ver 3 as that one seems to add a lot of punch.
Also load the new 3.02 presets that will stop the clipping if there is any and balance the levels.
Make sure you have cab sims off when going through the 412 BUT keep the poweramp sim engaged .They will work in conjunction with your tube power amp and do not interfere.

Have fun!!

Before writing about version 3, I need to update one thing...

Hardware
I had not played around with the Output knobs on the unit; I used the potentiometer for my monitor system to control levels as I switched between presets. While trying out Axe-Edit a bit more deeply, I discovered a few things, including some missing amp models in the list (FAS Wreck and Prince Tone). I went to the unit itself to verify, and to search for the Pentode option (completely absent?). After fidgeting for a bit, I began surfing presets again, and since i was near the Axe, I decided to use the Output knob on the unit to control the level. And that is when I discovered that Output 1 is (Boston accent on) "wicked loose." Output 2 is.. well, it does not feel "reliably stable and solid." No way am I opening the Axe without a "go ahead" from Command Central; I am curious if the fix is a simple tightening of the pots...

Version 3.02
Wow, wow, wow!
Decision time.. good news or bad news first? Hmmm...
Bad news: The attack "issue" (for me!!!) is still there. It is not as bad as it was with version 2.00c with fingerpicking and legato hammer-on/pull-off play, and it is definitely toned down the "mellower" the gain of the model. I say "mellower" because some of the cleaner amp models.. the brighter, harder ones.. still produce this.. "attack issue." Effects seem to exacerbate this a bit, so until I can either come to terms with it or derive some solution, I will simply need to take care. Oh- and this is not a matter of pick type; I tried a softer pick (I usually use.. and have for decades.. Tortex/Dunlop Jazz3 type picks), and then tried some simple hammer-ons. When I was doing hammer-ons, the string contacting the fret with varying force produced the effect proportionately. Once again, this is likely an issue due to my own comorbids (SPD).

Good news:
That "modeler-like fizz"? Diminished significantly, enough to be a non-issue for me now. There are a ton of features additions and enhancements with version 3.xx that really allowed me to begin tweaking. Having worked on, mod'd, etc tube and solid state amps, I was VERY impressed to find so many additional aspects of "amp innards" to "design" with. I have used the word "deep" a bit, and will continue to do so, especially with the additions version 3 has brought to the table. The tweakability of these various bits are... fascinating. With a "real world" tube amp, there are tons of mods one can do, and tweaking can become an obsession.. great fun for some, utterly life draining for others. However, the amount of work to implement and then test little tweaks versus the "payoff"? Diminishing returns IMO. Well, not always, lol :lol In the Axe FX II though.. :ugeek 8) Okay, obsession worthy times one thousand!

Version 3 also seemed to.. thicken things. I did not find every amp model to noticeably benefit from this upgrade, but I am not a fan of every amp type either. I will say.. they probably did, because every one I do like (uh, that would be most of them!), did. As I mentioned, the added tweakability is HUGE. I looked for the Pentode/Triode feature, but could not find anything pertaining to it. If pentode-triode options are supposed to be present for only certain amps (ala only certain Marshalls, say.. or as some amps will utilize for a "half power" mode), I could not find any (for instance, would be cool on a Bassman 8) ). I am guessing all of these options will come in a future version of Axe-Edit?

And that brings me to a couple of questions: Does Axe-Edit have any "hidden" tweaks? Say, Ctrl + Click on something, or maybe a secret panel or something? Second, are there options/parameters present in Axe-Edit that are not available via the Axe FX II edit screen?

EDIT: I just grabbed the Mac version (older MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.5.x), and the "Prince Tone" and "FAS Wreck" amps are present in Axe-Edit. I will need to figure out what is up on my W&x64 system tomorrow.

Day One done
Long day, so much playing. Tomorrow.. bass time! I suppose I should have downloaded Axe-Edit before getting the Axe FX II. Why did I not do so? This might be the last piece of really nice gear I get for awhile, so I guess I wanted it to be a cool Birthday gift and celebration. Opening the box, turning it on.. trying out Axe-Edit with it for the first time. As you can tell from the part of my review on Axe-Edit, I was pretty excited (and still am). As much of a jump on understanding the Axe it would have given me, I am glad I waited. To fire it up and interact with the Axe like that? Priceless.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
I feel it will require far more than a (simple) 15-day period to properly dig into, and thus give a fair shake. -- Uh, yeah... This is my second go round and I've had about 7 AxeFX Standards. NO WAY is 15 days enough time to even begin to dig into this thing. I've run through a handful of presets and centered all of my initial patch building / testing around the Princetone. I have NOT upgraded the preset banks from 3.01 to 3.02, I don't believe I need to.
One suggestion is to stick with ONE monitoring solution for your initial review stage. Bouncing around through all of those cabs/power amp solutions AND a full blown recording/monitoring solution could be confusing.
I also stray away from deep editing until I have down light editing and I spend a decent amount of time (but not TONS of time) finding the right cab / mic / proximity and mic placement for the job. You can fine tune the intricasies with advanced params til you're blue in the face... then switch the cab or mic and realize you've just wasted hours tweaking.

I feel it will require far more than a (simple) 15-day period to properly dig into, and thus give a fair shake. -- Uh, yeah... This is my second go round and I've had about 7 AxeFX Standards. NO WAY is 15 days enough time to even begin to dig into this thing. I've run through a handful of presets and centered all of my initial patch building / testing around the Princetone. I have NOT upgraded the preset banks from 3.01 to 3.02, I don't believe I need to.
One suggestion is to stick with ONE monitoring solution for your initial review stage. Bouncing around through all of those cabs/power amp solutions AND a full blown recording/monitoring solution could be confusing.
I also stray away from deep editing until I have down light editing and I spend a decent amount of time (but not TONS of time) finding the right cab / mic / proximity and mic placement for the job. You can fine tune the intricasies with advanced params til you're blue in the face... then switch the cab or mic and realize you've just wasted hours tweaking.

I agree....how can I seriously read this review in regards to someone owning the Axe Fx Ultra for less than 15 days. I do not say this with disrepect to the reviewer...but come on...not enough time to be taken serious in a comparitive war.

Reviewer seems very knowledgeable and has "definite" opinions on things. Overall good review...but I must say that anyone reading this....there is no perfect circle.....but the Axe Fx II is damn close....and nit picking at such a detailed intensity level makes me think the reviewer is a "never satisfied" person.

I don't want a mess of pedals...or multiple tube amps.....the Axe Fx II is bliss

I discovered a few things, including some missing amp models in the list (FAS Wreck and Prince Tone).

They should be there ( as the last two in the list) if you are running the latest version (1.0.242). They are on my Win 7 64 machine.

Last edited:
I feel it will require far more than a (simple) 15-day period to properly dig into, and thus give a fair shake. -- Uh, yeah...
I realize I "over communicate," so I am apologizing again for that.
However... I did state that the 15-day wait was not a consideration with the Axe FX II. The reference to the 15-day guarantee was from my previous trial of the Ultra. To elaborate a bit, when I purchased the Ultra, it was as a replacement for my favorite tube amps, and in lieu of keeping (at least) one and grabbing a decently powerful rack unit plus some pedals. Faced with a budget restrained "either or" decision, the Ultra had a few personal dislikes, plus my own psychological hurdles. The Axe FX II resolved most of the dislikes, and time has provided me the ability to come up with a "psychological plan" for resolving those issues as well. Primarily, this time I made sure it did not HAVE to be "either or." Well, not entirely true... If I do not find the Axe FX II to be to my liking to a high enough degree, I will need to recoup the money I spent. However, with the resale value remaining at and above what I paid, I no longer need to worry about time constraints.

I hope that clarifies what I attempted to communicate early on (first post). I truly wanted to be sure that anyone reading understands that I have absolutely no real boundaries or restrictions while evaluating the Axe FX II. I will move quickly and thoroughly though.. but, this is due to my "obsessive, hyperfocused" nature, not from any *external*, derived "pressure." Today will be finding a select few amps and then playing with stock IRs, and, hopefully, making a few of my own. I am already pretty confident the Axe will be staying right where it is. At this point, I have a few concerns, but only one (currently) has to do with "how it sounds and feels."

As for the amount and diversity of equipment being utilized... I provided that list initially so as to reduce redundancy in later postings. For instance, if I state I am "using the Axe with my studio monitors," I would not need to elaborate in detail; a simple hop to post one would provide such information. Since I intend to evaluate and cogitate upon the IR aspects of the Axe FX II today, IMO this will be best served by incorporating equipment I have. I try to be methodical and reductionistically practical, but also realize I am easily tangentially distracted.. often due to simple awe and fascination. I have often forgotten to eat, hydrate, etc. due to this. Or, fashion ridiculously long posts though I had intended a *simple* reply to a single point originally.:lol Point being, I may end up spreading the IR part over two or more days, though my intention is to (only) touch upon it for now. Part of my reason for doing this type of review is to provide a "living journal" of sorts, so that any interested reader might be able to derive.. something.. from my experiences; from day one of first impressions, to peeling away those topmost layers and discovering yet more treasure, to days perhaps weeks from now when those unexpected gems suddenly shine through. It is the expectant promise of depth that intrigues me.. and the possible resultant rewards that thrill me. I will stop babbling for now, lol.

Overall good review...but I must say that anyone reading this....there is no perfect circle.....but the Axe Fx II is damn close....and nit picking at such a detailed intensity level makes me think the reviewer is a "never satisfied" person.
Thank you.
And.. I am often satisfied. I reach for more stars continually though, always striving for more. If you check my first post, for instance, you will see I have used the same make/model practice amp for more than 20 years. Even with megaubersuperterrific offerings, I stick with what I am satisfied with. But, I have tried many of those new ones! I have owned many Les Pauls, but once I found "it," that one has stayed. I still pick others up now and then, but not necessarily to replace. I had another LPC and an Ibanez Universe (UV7PWH) that I loved, but when I needed a new wheelchair, I had to sell some things I cared for. I could describe the Ultra experience in full if so desired, but I would prefer to keep this thread free of it. I provided that as a point of comparison only to emphasize my intention to NOT involve any constraint upon this evaluation. I am satisfied with my Legacy head; I modified it to be what I want. I did not feel I could do the same with the Ultra, but the Axe FX II already surpasses the Ultra in ways I did not require, and resolves most issues that were detrimental in my decision to not keep the Ultra. "Issues" are always personal, and relatively so. I have, and will continue to, list them, though some/many.. even most.. may seem trivial, non-existent, or possibly of greater concern to others. I see "YMMV" thrown about as a qualifier; I prefer, "YMWV"; "Your Mileage Will Vary."

I am smiling as I write this; I hope it has not come across as confrontational in any way; I am simply trying to clarify. I also do not see this as a comparative war; I attempted to assuage those (potential, likely) "fears" in that first post. To reiterate (just a little bit): my comparatives are not based nor intentioned to provide any type of, "Does this sound like a tube amp? Can I make it sound like EVH on their first album?" IMO, that is ridiculous, though I understand why people will do so. The Axe, for me, is supplemental. With no expectation of it directly "replacing" something, or as a lower cost alternative to, say, an H8000, I can simply experience for what it is. However!!! I am comparing it with my Legacy, but simply to understand it better. No shoot-outs, no "Damn thing does not even come close to a tube amp!" or other such nonsense. I have tried tons of amps, and few are.. "me." One of the most "me" amps is solid state, lol. If I am not comfortable with something after 7-10 days, it usually turns into a battle to *mutilate* it into something I can begrudgingly accept, which leads to disgust at some point. Be it a guitar, clothing, a car, etc. At 45 years old, I have more rigid, self-defined comfort zones, but I have been open to debate, investigation, and other epistemological pursuits for as long as I can remember. I may have what appear as definites, but I am always open.. and searching.. for new data. I have no known absolutes in my mind; everything is malleable to some extent with proper logic and reason.

Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom