Incredible resource for comparing dialed-in amp tones

Dolphinado

Inspired
I just came across this channel (Sonic Drive Studio) recently, and saw that he just uploaded an unbelievably meticulously done comparison between 26 amps for clean, crunch, hard rock, and metal tones:

Like, seriously, I’m beyond impressed.

Although he’s comparing the real world tube amps, a lot of the amps he’s comparing we have available to us in the Axe-Fx 3, and he’s using readily available IRs (and shows which ones he’s using). He shows the amp settings for each tone too, which means we can pretty readily translate them directly to the Amp block.

Really wish I had something like this when I was trying to come up with a shortlist of amp models I wanted to audition.

It seems like the IR's held each of the 4 tones to a similar quality no matter which amp was used. I could definitely hear the difference between the amps, particularly the EL-34 vs 6L6 amps. I was floored by the JMP-1. I thought the Marshall cleans were a tad brighter and was expecting a bell like quality from the Mesa's but didn't really hear it. Really a cool video.

I found this channel when I first tried finding a good phat bass tone for the Axe-FX III. Their demo's of OwnHammer's IRs helped me decide which packs I might like too. Really good channel.

If anyone needs a good bass preset, check out their video called Axe FX bass guitar tone tutorial (pop &rock/metal) on their YouTube channel. I would just add a studio compressor block after your input, and drive the output gain of the compressor block to help find that perfect saturation between the low end and distoration.

Yeah. Those were all great songs and great playing. I’ve never re-amped before. I fast forwarded thru the middle and kind of stopped on amps i was interested in. I don’t recall, but I’m assuming he used the same IR for each song. I recall the clean song using the same T-75 and v30s for the harder stuff. It would be interesting to hear some of the amps with a different speaker IR just to demonstrate how different the amps can sound.

I guess I’ll be able to do all that and more around 4:45 -6:45pm TODAY!!:cool:

I just came across this channel (Sonic Drive Studio) recently, and saw that he just uploaded an unbelievably meticulously done comparison between 26 amps for clean, crunch, hard rock, and metal tones.
Great video but is this an advertisement for the Line 6 Helix Rack?

I just came across this channel (Sonic Drive Studio) recently, and saw that he just uploaded an unbelievably meticulously done comparison between 26 amps for clean, crunch, hard rock, and metal tones:

Like, seriously, I’m beyond impressed.

Although he’s comparing the real world tube amps, a lot of the amps he’s comparing we have available to us in the Axe-Fx 3, and he’s using readily available IRs (and shows which ones he’s using). He shows the amp settings for each tone too, which means we can pretty readily translate them directly to the Amp block.

Really wish I had something like this when I was trying to come up with a shortlist of amp models I wanted to audition.

That's no one other than our friend @Guitarjon I hope he doesn't mind me tagging him here hehe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom