AFIII Incredible Dream Theater cover by 15 y/o phenomenon Owen Davey

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
In case you didn't see the posts on our Fractal Audio Instagram or FB, check out this absolutely ridiculous cover of the Dream Theater song This Dying Soul by 15 year old Owen Davey using his Axe-Fx III. It would be one thing for someone his age to play this song on any instrument, but Owen plays all of them in this amazing video! Wow...just incredible talent!!

first you suck cause you cant make yourself morph into each dt player, literally I mean why cant you grow a huge beard and muscles?
2nd you dont sing so what good are you
3rd unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I am impressed, I cannot help by sometimes thinking that kid got a look in his eyes saying... "ok dad.... I´ve learned your favorite song now, can I go out and play..."

While I am impressed, I cannot help by sometimes thinking that kid got a look in his eyes saying... "ok dad.... I´ve learned your favorite song now, can I go out and play..."
Actually you couldn't be further from the truth. Owen introduced Dream Theater to Me. You can't make a kid do this and he didn't learn anything from me. This is what it looks like when a combination of talent, curiosity, passion, physical ability, mental ability and incredible drive come together and are not crushed by a parent. We simple clear the path as best as we can to allow him to do what makes him happy.

Axe FX only for guitars ?
There is a real Boogie behind him.
It sounds like a good amp miked
Owen does a lot of covers emulating many different tones. He uses the Axe FX for his guitars, bass and keyboards as well as sometime mixing in real miked amps. It would be next to impossible or cost prohibitive to get the variety of tones he uses if he didn't have the Fractal unit. Axe Fx, while it can be used on its own, is also amazing used in conjunction with an amp. John Petrucci uses Mesa Boogie and Axe FX combo. Owen spends a LOT of time exploring the Axe FX to get tones and editing and profiling guitar tones from stems. I can't tell you how many times he has called me after exploring tones to hear what he created. It inspires him when he finds a tone and says this sounds like "x" on "X" album. Next thing you know he is playing that song or in that style. It is awesome.

Actually you couldn't be further from the truth. Owen introduced Dream Theater to Me. You can't make a kid do this and he didn't learn anything from me. This is what it looks like when a combination of talent, curiosity, passion, physical ability, mental ability and incredible drive come together and are not crushed by a parent. We simple clear the path as best as we can to allow him to do what makes him happy.
if only more parents helped their kid's learn to do amazing things such as this !!! love it !!

Amazing talent! How do you get that great gear at 15??
My thoughts exactly-Amazing talent and How do you get that great gear at 15? Lucky I could afford an amp and a guitar at 15.....He is very good though. Not really my fav genre but I do appreciate talent in any genre..........That equipment cost more than my house :)

BTW, The kid is a hell of an illustrator\Artist............Some great stuff.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom