Increasing Input Drive w. Pedal, but limiting volume increase

Miscreant

Inspired
Hi everyone,

I've attached an external controller (pedal) to the input drive modifier, and I'm looking for ways to increase gain with the pedal, but while at the same time limiting volume increase. I'd like a bit of a volume increase, but not too much from when the channel is clean (and the pedal fully up/not engaged).

I figure there must be some connection I can establish to control this volume variable inversely with the gain variable, but I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I've attached an external controller (pedal) to the input drive modifier, and I'm looking for ways to increase gain with the pedal, but while at the same time limiting volume increase. I'd like a bit of a volume increase, but not too much from when the channel is clean (and the pedal fully up/not engaged).

I figure there must be some connection I can establish to control this volume variable inversely with the gain variable, but I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks!
connect the same pedal to the Level in the Drive block, reverse the Min and Max so Min is higher value than Max, while setting those boundaries to what you want to achieve.

Awesome. Thanks for the kick replies. I did what you've suggested, though I'm finding that my volume peaks in the middle of the pedal sweep, then dips back down. If I'm understanding, I'm assuming this is because, with the max min lower than the min, the midpoint between the two on the pedal sweep is the volume apex.

Is there a way I can set it so that the volume increase while depressing the pedal is fully linear?

I'm assuming this is because, with the max min lower than the min, the midpoint between the two on the pedal sweep is the volume apex.

Is there a way I can set it so that the volume increase while depressing the pedal is fully linear?
that shouldn't be the reason for that. max being lower than min just means it's louder when the pedal is heel down, and quieter when the pedal is toe down.

any non-linearities come from the fact that the Drive amount may not increase the volume in a linear manner. this is exactly why similar wishes for "adjust amp level automatically when changing Master Volume or Drive" doesn't work.

you might have to play with the other controls in the Drive Level modifier screen, to change the shape of that graph.

the parameter values are changing in a linear way, but the effect on volume of the Drive change may not be linear.

Try reducing the "mid" value of the level (or possibly both) modifiers first. If you swapped min/max rather than start/end for level, that would actually mean increasing the mid value. It might be less confusing to swap start/end so lower mid value = lower volume halfway through sweep.

Also, the farther you adjust mid from 50%, the more you might want to adjust "slope" toward the "start" value. If you try a large mid adjustment so start/mid/end are something like 100/15/0, the right portion of the curve will bottom out. Increase "offset" temporarily and you'll see the curve changes direction and rises toward the "end" value. Increasing slope to 75% will avoid this. The ideal value will depend on the actual mid value you end up using.

If you like the tonal effect of a drive pedal, then that gets messed up slightly (or a lot) when you reduce the level in the drive block because it is a less hot signal going into the amp and has less excitation of the amp’s distortion characteristics. That output level is how you control how much of the amp distortion flavor to blend with the pedal distortion flavor. The pedal distortion flavor comes from the drive level in the drive block. So I put a vol block after the amp and use the same controller as for the drive and modify the curve as needed. Or I use the pedal on the input gain of the amp and skip the drive pedal to save cpu. Or on the output level of a peq block before the amp. You could also do the overall volume lowering with the output level on amp to save the volume block, but sometimes I forget I’ve done that and the vol block is a reminder.

If you don’t need a continuous controller pedal, you can do the same stuff with scene controllers too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom