Increased Sustain (Without Increased Volume)

DanielB

I can crank my amp and get sweet feedback and sustain for days. Does anyone have any good tips for increased sustain at reasonable volumes? Obviously there are a lot of factors, from string gauge, to guitar wood, etc. I am mostly curious to hear if there are any effects/settings in the FX8 that can help make vibrato'd notes sustain for as long as possible, without adding other external pedals like the FreqOut.

I can crank my amp and get sweet feedback and sustain for days. Does anyone have any good tips for increased sustain at reasonable volumes? Obviously there are a lot of factors, from string gauge, to guitar wood, etc. I am mostly curious to hear if there are any effects/settings in the FX8 that can help make vibrato'd notes sustain for as long as possible, without adding other external pedals like the FreqOut.
Extreme gain settings with the Bender fuzz get me there. It's all about EQ (experiment with Tone and internal EQ settings, especially mid boost). I've put a Comp block ahead of it at times. I know some folks find putting a Comp block after a fuzz is also effective, but I don't generally care for the way that sounds, but you can get even crazier sustain that way.

You probably know that at least part of the equation for getting feedback is proximity of the guitar pickups to the amp. I don't believe (for example) that you can get there if the amp is behind a plexiglass shield.

There are of course compressors, boosters etc but a more physical approach would be to touch your speaker cabinet with the headstock of the guitar.

Good compressor use can get good sustain from even clean tones. It isn't a panacea, but can be a great option if it fits your playing style.

Back
Top Bottom