Increase number of Control Switches

Chad Beattie

Experienced
I searched and didn't see this already. So if someone already asked, sorry!

Current limit is 6. With the FC-6 and FC-12 out now and the ability to do CS MIDI, I'm finding this is a very useful combination. I can dedicate buttons on my FC-12 in specific layouts to control MIDI devices and label them accordingly with custom labels. Currently I'm using it to control the BandHelper app on my iPad. I've easily used up 6 CS's. Start Automation, Next /Prev MIDI preset, Next / Prev Page, Next Song.

Not sure how much of an undertaking this would be, but having enough CS's to match the amount of switches for the FC's would be great. That would be at least 24 if using both TAP/HOLD on an FC-12.

So why not bluetooth page turners? Sure, for my current usage of BandHelper it would work. But it's using Keyboard commands and not true MIDI. Also, I like the idea of putting this into the FC. It reduces the amount of items I have to deal with. And it's very slick!

(Disclaimer - I'm using / testing out bluetooth midi on the Axe-Fx III and also Axe-Fx to iConnectMIDI2+ to get what the Axe sends out the DIN's to the iPad).

Also, I just starting using CS MIDI. So hopefully I'm not missing something obvious in this approach that will kill my workflow regarding the FC's and assigning CS's to the various buttons.

Thanks!

EDIT:
I can't find how to update title. But maybe it should be:
Increase number of "FC Controllers" CS MIDI Switches

Last edited:
Actually I believe there was already 2 wish threads for more CS.
Anyway, +1 for more CS wish threads, I mean... more CS :D

More seriously, I really hope this can happen, it would be real game changer for my setup. Right now I need to stick with my Liquid Foot controller, but with 24 CS I would be all set for my FC12.

Last edited:
I searched and didn't see this already. So if someone already asked, sorry!

Current limit is 6. With the FC-6 and FC-12 out now and the ability to do CS MIDI, I'm finding this is a very useful combination. I can dedicate buttons on my FC-12 in specific layouts to control MIDI devices and label them accordingly with custom labels. Currently I'm using it to control the BandHelper app on my iPad. I've easily used up 6 CS's. Start Automation, Next /Prev MIDI preset, Next / Prev Page, Next Song.

Not sure how much of an undertaking this would be, but having enough CS's to match the amount of switches for the FC's would be great. That would be at least 24 if using both TAP/HOLD on an FC-12.

So why not bluetooth page turners? Sure, for my current usage of BandHelper it would work. But it's using Keyboard commands and not true MIDI. Also, I like the idea of putting this into the FC. It reduces the amount of items I have to deal with. And it's very slick!

(Disclaimer - I'm using / testing out bluetooth midi on the Axe-Fx III and also Axe-Fx to iConnectMIDI2+ to get what the Axe sends out the DIN's to the iPad).

Also, I just starting using CS MIDI. So hopefully I'm not missing something obvious in this approach that will kill my workflow regarding the FC's and assigning CS's to the various buttons.

Thanks!

Would be interested to hear more on this setup. This is pretty much what I was thinking of doing as well...trying to find a solution to control the following: Axe 3, Axe2, MainStage(patches and instrument hold), x32(scenes) and BandHelper. I have the Yamaha bluetooth as well as an Irig blueboard, but I'm trying to find a solution that can control everything with just the FC. Can you clarify how your using the iConnect? I tried that a while back and could make it work. My bass player is using the Axe2 with an MFC, and I've been trying to come up with the most effect solution...midi is not my strength

Would be interested to hear more on this setup. This is pretty much what I was thinking of doing as well...trying to find a solution to control the following: Axe 3, Axe2, MainStage(patches and instrument hold), x32(scenes) and BandHelper. I have the Yamaha bluetooth as well as an Irig blueboard, but I'm trying to find a solution that can control everything with just the FC. Can you clarify how your using the iConnect? I tried that a while back and could make it work. My bass player is using the Axe2 with an MFC, and I've been trying to come up with the most effect solution...midi is not my strength

Sorry, just saw this. Here is more details on it... and all of this idea is based on @yek posts about his setup using BandHelper. So I can't take credit for it, just expanding on it now with the FC and such.

My Requirements
* USB connection from iPad to Axe-Fx III for...
- FracPad (better experience than over bluetooth)
- Playing audio through Axe-Fx via iPad
- Receiving MIDI from Axe-FX over USB (The Axe-Fx III only sends MIDI data via the DIN port)
* Changing songs on iPad changes presets on Axe-Fx
* Preset changes on Axe-Fx changes to correct song in BandHelper
* If needed, ability to connect to Axe-Fx via Bluetooth to adjust IEM mix via iPhone or iPad during sound check. This post has some info on it.
* Ability to play audio from my iPad and have it route to OUT2 of Axe-Fx for my IEM's for practicing (BandHelper lets you pick the outputs which is awesome)

Setup:
iPad running BandHelper and FracPad
FC-12
Axe-Fx III
MIDI BlueTooth (MD-BT01)
iConnectMIDI2+ (the regular version probably would work also, but I didn't test it)
Apple Camera Kit Connector for iPad/iPhone
USB Hub

FC controls the following on iPad for BandHelper via "FC Controllers: CS MIDI"
1. Next/Previous page for song sections
2. Next MIDI Preset (for changing scenes on Axe-Fx)
3. Start/Stop automation on BandHelper
4. Change to Next Song on BandHelper

Basically BandHelper can be configured to listen for specific MIDI events. So any application that you can control via MIDI should be able to be controlled in a similar manner.

Connections (iPad is the USB Host in this setup)
iPad camera kit connector -> USB Cable -> Host port of USB Hub
Axe-Fx III -> USB Cable -> Device port of USB Hub
Axe-Fx III -> MIDI DIN IN/OUT -> iConnectivity MIDI DIN IN/OUT 1
MD-BT01 -> iConnectivity MIDI DIN IN/OUT 2
iConnectMIDI2+ USB Host port to USB Hub Device Port

Having the iConnect allows the DIN MIDI output of the Axe-Fx to go over USB to the iPad. You can then plug the bluetooth MIDI into the iConnect and still talk to the Axe-Fx that way also via bluetooth.

Why would you need to do this (both wired and bluetooth). Well, as yek pointed out in his posts, for some reason the MD-BT01 does not always send the Program Changes from the Axe-Fx when changing presets. I've monitored this in BandHelper and sure enough, you can flip through presets and the iPad does not always get the changes. Odd... So if you want the iPad to change to a song based on a program change from the Axe-Fx, the MD-BT01 won't cut it. But if you only need to change things on the Axe-Fx from the iPad, you will be fine. And of course, for playing tracks or reliability you would want wired.

Links to Amazon
USB Hub
iConnectMIDI2+
MD-BT01

FC CS MIDI Example for CS1. CS2-6 just increase the MIDI Number by 1
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.00.33 AM.png

My FC-12 Layout example:
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.01.06 AM.png

So in this case, I'm using CS MIDI for controlling all of the following items in BandHelper:
Next Song
Prev MIDI Preset
Automation start/stop
Next Song Section / Prev Song Section
Next MIDI Preset

I've used up all 6 CS MIDI. So the wish is basically to have more than 6. People could then dedicate an entire layout for controlling other MIDI devices using the same method. I had bought a bluetooth page turner and after learning this option was available with CS MIDI, I sent it back as it's no longer needed. Also for starting automation in time with a click I wanted it hard wired to ensure timing is spot on and also in case bluetooth had issues.

I may have forgotten some things. So if you have more questions let me know. I've used this setup several times now without any issues. The USB hub is very small as is the iConnect. So I have them just velcro in the back of my rack unit that houses my Axe-Fx.

If one day the wish for Axe-Fx sending MIDI out over USB is a reality, most of the extras probably won't be needed. I would plug the MD-BT01 directly into the Axe-Fx DIN Ports, and iPad directly to Axe-Fx USB port. And then if the ability to route the USB midi via FAS Link over to the FC's USB happens, then iPad could plug into the FC directly. So basically having more FC MIDI CS's, MIDI out over USB, and MIDI passthru to FC would be a dream come true :) But for now just more CS's would be killer.

Any potential updates on more CS switches yet ??

I'd love to have a bank of CS switches dedicated to sending midi for DAW control, and then also be able to have some CS left over for things like a reverb "hold" switch, applying a dampener function to toggle etc which the custom switches allow via modifiers.

As it stands, I feel I can't fully take advantage of either sending MIDI controls, OR, using the CS for internal stuff, because 6 just spreads things way too thin.....

I think 12 would be great personally

More the merrier really, but really anything more than 6!

I’m getting a Hex midi loop controller so to toggle each of those 6 loops alone I’m out of CS assignments already, and can’t use any for onboard stuff, can’t control my DAW etc

I actually would love to have a layout on my FC for midi control of external devices, and then mix the additional switches among the effects layouts for external loops and also internal control switching.

Would be awesome to go to a control layout that lets me start recording etc at my feet

Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a while but it is actually the first time I post. I am a happy Axe fx III owner for a few months, and I have to say that I am really blown away by the unit.
Now I need a foot controller that will allow me to control the Axe and a laptop with ableton. The FC looks amazing but from what I understand reading the FC manual and this post there are only 6 CS switches that I can configure to send midi commands. I need to be able to send at least 15 to 20 different midi commands (independantly of scene changes).
I would love to go with a FC12 but right now this is a limiting factor for me. Is there any information from fractal if more CS switches are on the roadmap?

Back
Top Bottom