INCORRECT / WRONG SETTINGS - Multi-Band Compressor .... tighten bottom-end

ben ifin

Experienced
AS AT 28-10-2016 - PLEASE IGNORE THE SETTINGS AND PICS IN THIS THREAD AS THEY ARE WRONG - THE CORRECT SETTINGS AND PICS ARE IN THIS THREAD HERE:-

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...mpressor-settings-tighten-you-low-end.120625/

SEE POST #9 Below for my solution / settings - updated 23-10-2016

Hey all

Quite new to using the Axe FX Multi-Band Compressor [ MBC ] so just wanted to ask a few super quick questions.

My objective

To " tighten up " the low-end on my crunch / dirty chugga-chugga rhytmns .... and leave everything else in the guitar freq range untouched ..... so .....

-> is it best placed before or after the Amp Block ?

To apply compression only to the frequencies below 120 hz and leave all other frequencies totally un-affected

-> I presume I set Freq 1 to 120hz ?

-> I presume I set Level 1 to 0.0 db ?

if this is correct

-> what settings do I use for Level 2, Level 3 and Freq 2 ?

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
IMO, methods like using the amp's BMT controls, the Cut switch, putting a screamer or a filter block in front of your amp, using the amp block's EQ, etc., will give you much more "natural" control of the bottom end. The multiband comp is more useful for recording and stuff, and even then it's easier to use in a DAW.

On a more general note, however, if you put it before the amp, it will affect the character of distortion, and will have less effect on EQ, and it will depend a lot on the amp you use. If you put it after, it will have a very direct effect on your sound. So, depending on what exactly you want to hear in the end, you can do either.

Huge thanks for the great info

- low in the Cab is already cut /rolled off at 115hz - still leaves a bit of loose-flub I want to tighten up
- will try pre and post too - post may be even better
- those MBC andy Sneap settings are almost bang-on to where I was aiming too

All the best to all,
Ben

Try small cuts at 250 and 500 in the graphic EQ (AMP block). I like to use the 8-band. Always seems to tighten up my sound nicely in the bottom end.

The Low Res settings on the amp block spkr page also help.

Try lowering the amount of Low Res or move the Low Res Freq to around 108hz if it is lower.

Low end flub is caused by pushing too much bass into the amp. Use the Cut switch (below the Bass knob) in the Amp block to reduce the amount of bass at the amp's input (pre-gain EQ). If that's still not enough, adjust the low cut parameter in the advanced page to a higher frequency to remove more bass at the input. If the sound is then too thin, add bass back using the graphic EQ in the Amp block (post-gain EQ).

Hi all !

Thanks again for all the great suggestiosn :)

Even after doing all the things suggested, there was still that annoying loose / flub when chugging ..... lng story short ... the solution for me with my Tele and my patchs was:-

-> place a MBC after the Cab's
-> use the settings in the following 2 pics

Tips

-> the Freq 1 setting will vary for each user - I would suggest look in the 88hz <-> 130hz for your sweet spot

-> the overall MBC Level will need to be jacked up if it is going post-Amp block or post Cab block in order to mathc you levels

-> as others have said, it works ok pre- Amp block but post Amp [ or better still ] post Cab block its super precise in that it just tightens up the lows without impacting on the gain / distoriton / overdrive and any adverse impact on low end tone

-> please note I use an Atomic CLR and these settings for this that

Hoep this helps.

Many thanks again,
Ben

Good MBC tips and suggestions super welcome for the less knowledgable like me on its use in crafting solid tones.

How do others use this block??

Yeah something I've noticed with the Axe FX (and... I hate to use the word... but amp "sims" in general) - for tight metal, high gain low end I have to gut most of the low end prior to the amp. Doesn't matter which guitar, doesn't matter which amp I use in the Axe FX.

5 band passive goes in front of the amp. Then the lowest sliders are at around -10, mid is just down about -3, Hi-Mid and High are at about 0, then i boost 3 db or so going into the amp. (Using IIC+ and Triaxis). On top of that low cut in the Amp block is engaged, and I never use more than 1 on Bass in the preamp. Power amp always around 4 or less, usually less.

It'll sound wimpy at this point

Then the "Mark" 5-band GEQ in the Amp block goes pre-power amp, bring back the lows. Super fucking tight. Don't need as much gain. Really responsive and articulate, and the Cab makes tremendous difference.

Don't have to do this in front of my Mesa Mark V, but anyway. Hope that helps someone, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom