Incoming NGD! .strandberg* Boden OS 7

JayCM800XL

Experienced
image.jpg

Pulled the trigger. Guitar's in transit, should be here Wed./Thu. next week! This is a pic of my actual guitar, courtesy of Ed @ Strandberg

Anyone here owns one of these? Did you like the pickups? How did you find the fit and finish? I think it's a bit expensive for being Korean made but the spec sheet intrigued me. There are similar guitars but not quite and not at the price range.

I'm just curious to hear from other Strandberg owners in the forum... What they liked and disliked about their Bodens? I'm pretty sure I'll end up loving mine!

Yeah, I think if this was around $1200-1400 it would be a no brainer not to at least try them. Apparently, according to reviews, same like Fractal gear, once you gel with it you realize is money well spent.

I'm a Klein style (Forshage Orion) ergonomic headless convert. Soon to be exclusively. But, I still have to try a .strandberg some day. As long as the QC is there, shouldn't be a problem. You get the design, that neck, the fanned frets... They really should offer the option to have coil tap.

The OS6 is on my GAS list but I might wait to check one out at NAMM before shelling out the bucks.

I think that the maple top adds a bit to the overall cost as well as (perhaps) the fanned frets. Most Asian-made guitars have veneer where the Boden has a slab of flamed maple.

This guitar is on top of my list and I will pull the trigger soon :) Please do a NGD thread and tell us about it. Can't wait :mrgreen

oof! that exact one was on my wishlist until recently. i just bought a gibson midtown custom and a fender american special tele, so it'll have to wait. i'd love to know what you think of it when it arrives!

oof! that exact one was on my wishlist until recently. i just bought a gibson midtown custom and a fender american special tele, so it'll have to wait. i'd love to know what you think of it when it arrives!
I sure will! I'm just hoping I pay this off before the AX8 release in a few months!

I have had a Boden OS6 for a couple of months now. It took a while to get used to the Endureneck profile but now it is comfortable. The OS6 is fitted with Seymour Duncan's and with a five way switch offers a lot of flexibility. It is very light. I thought my Parker Fly was light, but this is lighter stil. It is my first headless guitar so that was strange at first but is no issue now. The light weight makes a 2 hour set very easy!

Build quality is good, I have no issues with mine. Overall, there is nothing to dislike. it was possibly a little overpriced, but it was my choice to buy. It was less than half the price of a custom from Ola and without the wait.

I'd love to hear some non-metal samples. Most current users seem to be metal/prog-metal players. I'd love to hear the guitar with some edge of breakup, bluesy stuff, Funk, Motown, classic rock, etc.

What are the options with the 5-way switch, and did you have to add that in yourself?

The 5 way was standard on the OS6 model. Position 1 is neck pup, position 2 is out of phase on the neck pup, 3 is both, 4 is out of phase on the bridge pup and 5 is the bridge pup (well that is how I would describe it).

I'd love to hear some non-metal samples. Most current users seem to be metal/prog-metal players. I'd love to hear the guitar with some edge of breakup, bluesy stuff, Funk, Motown, classic rock, etc.

I am using mine in a wedding/party band so it gets used for pop, motown, funk, rock etc (Uptown Funk, Get Lucky, Summer of 69, Livin on a Prayer ... all the usual suspects) and I am going to use on a jazz gig on Wednesday and I have no doubt it will do the job well.

Check out this clip of Tom Quayle playing a few years back on one of the demos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6CVRxrV4JU.

Also try this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBYaHseStQ

Last edited:
concerning the pickups on these. i did some reading around the web and a very popular mod seems to be to replace the 707's with the EMG 57/66 set. they drop right in, of course and seem to be more dynamic, from what i hear.

I am using mine in a wedding/party band so it gets used for pop, motown, funk, rock etc (Uptown Funk, Get Lucky, Summer of 69, Livin on a Prayer ... all the usual suspects) and I am going to use on a jazz gig on Wednesday and I have no doubt it will do the job well.

Check out this clip of Tom Quayle playing a few years back on one of the demos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6CVRxrV4JU.

Also try this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBYaHseStQ

Tom Quayle does not count. ;-)

It's the ergonomics that interest me the most. Surely there's someone in the Metro Detroit area that has one I could try.

So i've had the guitar for 2 or 3 days now. I'm a lazy typist so I'll be very brief in my review: I love it!:encouragement:

To anyone considering this model, I would say, if the funds for it are available, to at least try one! They have a return period. The question about price/value is one that only you can answer if the features of the instrument inspire you to play more.

On my particular guitar the fit and finish is flawless. It also came nicely set up and almost in tune! (Haven't checked the intonation yet). First thing I noticed: it's kinda hard to adjust the tuners, requires a lot of fingertip strength to do fine adjustments, especially on the wound strings.

Being that the features and specs of the Boden OS models are pretty uncommon, plus the fact that I had never owned/played a 7-string guitar before, I was expecting to be confused, perplexed and shocked but thruth is: it's a comfortable, familiar, fun feeling to play this instrument!

The tone with the stock EMGs is clear and versatile enough, but I must admit that I can't wait to try a few other EMGs (57/66/81), since it's so easy with the solderless plugs. Nothin wrong with the stock 707Xs, I just LOVE EMGs and I'm curious to try others!(I've played 81s for the last eight years!) I might also try a 24v battery mod.

To get the most out of the ergonomic improvements of this guitar design I'm also not wearing it super low with a long strap, rockstar style. I'll have to get used to wearing it higher and looking like a dork.:geek

Now I need to decide if I tune it standard or drop A.... First world problems! Thanks for reading!

Back
Top Bottom