Incoming: Charvel So-Cal MIJ

Doug Lewis

Inspired
I've been a PRS guy since the late 90's. Dabbled in other brands and styles, but they never seem to last and down the road they go. Last year I even told myself to just admit that the PRS neck and fretboard is for me and quit looking. I've owned several Floyd equipped guitars including an Ivory PRS Floyd 24 but never felt like I had control of palm muting and stability. In February I came across a used 2010 MIJ Charvel So-Cal at a local small shop being sold on consignment and immediately fell in love with the rolled almost scalloped fretboard. It was so cheap in comparison to what I've been playing so I gave it a go and couldn't be more pleased. I added a "stutter" switch for fun and it's been the only guitar gigged since.

Black Med.jpg

So this week I open up Reverb and come across another one from the same year, but earlier production in way better shape for the same money in white. I couldn't say no. I'd love to find a San Dimas in the same era. I've tried American and Mexican current Charvels but none have got the same neck and fret work. For anyone looking for a "super strat" this is a guitar to look at.

White So Cal 1.jpg

nice pair! I love the wild cards(got all 8) but my real love is a modified model 2. Charvels make me crazy. I have like 75 + in one room.

Wow! Tell me about your favorite? I just happened to stumble across these and wish I'd known earlier.

Still have my M2. It was my first real good guitar and I like its sound, especially the mid boost. Haven't played it for years now. Badly needs a fret job and a new tremolo arm (no clue where to get one).

If the trem bar is one of the kind with the thumb screw "cap", you can get them at StewMac and AllParts.

Love my USA Select HSS. I’ve got a MIJ 2002 Traditional up on Reverb. The neck on it reminds me of the Ibanez wizard slim profile. Real fast neck with hotrail in the neck position for the buttery neck leads. Really cool MIJ guitar. Just redundant for me. It’s rare to come across a negative post or opinion on any of the Charvels regardless of where they were made. Never considered myself a Charvel guy but it’s my fave guitar. They just feel well built.

I have a Charvel Fusion Custom that I got in high school. Crackle finish. The neck hasn’t moved in 25 years. Plays like a dream.

I have a Charvel Fusion Custom that I got in high school. Crackle finish. The neck hasn’t moved in 25 years. Plays like a dream.
I had one... Rainbow Crackle Fusion Deluxe. Until I got hooked on Ibanez Wizard necks :D

Fantastic guitars - I totally adore mine; slightly modified with a Gotoch bridge and a Suhr Doug Aldrich pickup in the bridge - this thing rocks; and is smooth and fun to play
Charvel.jpg

We need pics of this.
At the moment the house is still a wreck from the hurricane last year when the tree went through the roof over my oldest sons room. All his things are piled and stacked in the room were the guitars are. I hope to have all this finished this summer and be able to get some updated pictures.

A tree through the roof?
Wow, I hope your people are well
Thank you for your concern. We were all in the living room when the tree came down through the bed room, so we were all fine just a little scared after the big bang and the shaking of the house, then it was a long night trying to get every thing we could save out of the room while the rain poured in. All this happened way back in September 2017, But getting every thing repaired has been slow.

Thank you for your concern. We were all in the living room when the tree came down through the bed room, so we were all fine just a little scared after the big bang and the shaking of the house, then it was a long night trying to get every thing we could save out of the room while the rain poured in. All this happened way back in September 2017, But getting every thing repaired has been slow.

Hope this season is a bit tamer. We were lucky and on high ground when Harvey came through. The majority weren't so lucky. But Houston has bounced back.

Back
Top Bottom