In your face

The way I see it is that it's YOUR tone...not theirs. EVERYBODY has a different tone, and one particular sound guy/gal will like it or not like it...it all depends on their taste. But, they 'should' be objective when it comes to a guitarist's tone. If they are subjective, then they should stick to running sound for a band they like the sound of, and nobody else, because they're going to make you sound like crap out front...

My guess is the guy was telling you there were too many presence frequencies, that you were brighter than everyone else, or at least the vocals. He should have just fixed it; maybe he did and was giving you some advice for next time. The easiest way for (lazy) sound guys to fix this is to pull back the fader, making you sound weak and like crap. I would look into it more.

The guy is just saying you weren't inside the same acoustic space the rest of the band was presenting. If your going direct to FOH, chances are your missing the 'connect' you get (and what he expects to hear) with bleed and such from a mic'd cab on stage. If so, either he makes you fit with a dedicated verb at FOH (unlikely) or you give him something that sits deeper within the overall mix. When the venue changes so do you.

Widrace, I think you are exactly right. And I don't feel like he was so much as complaining as trying to explain how up front or predominate the guitar was if that makes any sense. Maybe the contrast of the other guitar sounding more like a typical live sound, and me sounding more like a produced studio track was strange? Not sure. I'm totally new to this. I just got the AxeFx II a few months ago. On the output eq, I did pull the sliders down for the low/high freq. It's not in front of me but I think it was anything below 100 and above 10k.

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

There is another element to it as well. You could have a decent ambience fit, but dynamically you could be all over the place causing you to pop too far out of the mix. Same observation, different reason. Listen to the other guitarist. Does he lay in nicely against the band as a whole, while your either drowning out one moment then blowing everyone offstage the next? If so, dial in some compression using makeup gain.

Last edited:
I think that we would all agree that it IS in fact the job of the person "running sound" to A-work hard for the best FOH sound possible, B- be willing to use what ever gear the band brings in which ever way the band (reasonably) requests C- be able to adequately communicate with the musicians to achieve the best sound possible.

For most of us though I think those days are long gone (sadly). The cover band I currently play in has been on the local scene (we tend to stick with the 3 hour drive radius) coming up on 2 years. I have been using my Axe FX the entire time. In no way am I bragging but in that time we have built a reputation and a following that has placed us equal with and in some ways beyond the top billing acts in the area. I give that background to lend credence to this observation; when we started a lot of sound guys wouldn't try to run me direct or bitched about doing etc., in the last 2 years though most of the real paying gigs (we only play for guarantee) are moving towards venues with out sound so we take our own PA and the places left the sound guys seem to just want to show up hit a power switch or 2 and unmute the board then get drunk. We have built up a lot of clout in these places through hard work and results due to attendance and bar sales so they are now reluctantly more accommodating but for the up and comers it's hard to get any kind of respect or cooperation from the "sound guy"/house drunk.

There are still places in our area (NC, VA, SC) that still have good PA's and get the right person behind the board and those places are in love with the Fractal it seems like each time we play those places someone before the show wants to check out or talk to me in great lengths about the unit. I miss the good old days when the band's were treated like somebody.

i just loaded it up. to me, it sounds pretty bad, actually. looking at your cabs, you have linked to a global, so i'm getting the wrong ones - what should they be?

swapping out what i had for something with v30's, it still sounds pretty harsh. if it were me, i'd switch off saturation, put both input gain and overdrive on 7 and put the master on 5. i'd also knock pres back to 2 and put depth on 2 as well

the amp sounds really "hard", if you know what i mean...a little unnatural...i can't tell if you've tweaked any of the advanced params, but i'd be tempted to put them back to default

having said that, putting the petrucci mix ir in sounds a lot better, as it has a lot less high end...so it'll depend entirely on what your cab ir is

all the other fx in the patch seem ok to me.

I used the v30 4x12 ultra cab. I'm not at home now but it is somewhere around 67 on the list.

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

that was my first choice, funnily enough, so you can take my comments as read, because they apply (if you choose to...it's all personal taste at the and of the day)

Back
Top Bottom