In your face

exleper

Inspired
I played a gig last night and the sound man say that it sounded good but it was too "in your face". I kinda know what he means but not sure what to do if anything.
Thoughts?

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

either use room mix versions of your ir's, or add a touch of room reverb to your patches either from a reverb block, or the cab block. soundmen are idiots, mostly, so i wouldn't take it to heart. he's probably used to hearing a blend of the amp onstage and the pa. if you weren't using a real cab, then he's not hearing that blend. adding a touch of ambience may help soften the edges a little, but don't over-do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk using the world's most ironically named cell phone company; sprint.

You got a good point about the reverb. I dont feel like its overly bright but it could be. I play with a lot of mids and not much bass but that's no different from before i got the Fractal. My main patch sounds similar to my Mark V. It's such a clean sound I guess its abnormal. Maybe the contrast between me and the other guitarist is just too different.
I could put my sounds on the exchange if anyone wanted to opine.

I guess the sound guy just thought it was more 'direct' that he's been used to..? That's probably because it was much more direct!

A little more reverb and or room from the Cab Block would likely address the issue pretty quickly
thumbsup.gif

Get a new sound man who can communicate in more professional terms.

Absolutely, it's up to him to make it less "in your face" as he put it. Mind since I've been using the AXE FX2 I've only ever had compliments, such as tremendous and huge sound. And these comments have been off sound engineers too.

It really is the sound guy's job to fix minor issues.

He should only be asking you if there is a real problem like a bad cable, weird levels, radical EQ (something he can't fix with the channel EQ), or the efx mix is way too high.

Basically he should only get with you if its a problem he can't fix at the desk.

So your saying, don't mess with a tone I like and move on to the next club. I like that. Hahaha. I gotta say, it sounds amazing to my ears.

Yes. It's not the sound guys job to 'like' or 'not like' your tone...it's his job to push it out to the crowd. If it sounds amazing to you, then that is ALL that matters! If you see the crowd wincing in pain and their ears are bleeding...that may be a different thing!

It's a judgement call for me.

When you are first coming up, if its a really happening venue, then I would listen to what they have to say at the venue and try to learn something. There are some great folks out there running FOH that you can definitely learn from.

If it's a dive and the sound guys are acting like jerks, just be polite and move on.

Back
Top Bottom