In the studio with and ultra and a II

Larry Mitchell

Power User
It's been a long day but a good one. I just about to leave to studio here in Richmond beach WA (Bob Lange's studio. After tracking all day. I'm a new jam band called "the swell kollective" the other guitar player in the band is Ari Joshua (guitari) on the forum.
The last time we where in the studio was March and had an all tube rig with lots of pedals and stuff. I had my ultra. When we set up in march Ari was trying to be really nice to me, I think he figured I didn't have any gear with me on the road, cause he offered to lend me guitars, effects and amps then. All I had was my ultra, MFC and a couple of Ibanez guitars. :0)

Guess what he was using when on the studio today? Yes and ultra. He still likes his tube amp he has a cool little Mesa trans Atlantic head and the ultra and he is running direct with the ultra wet and mic'd dry with the Mesa and a 1 x 12 cab.
Anyway, it went great and Ari is great to play with. Here is a sampler video of when we where setting up. We did record a duo of atmospheric stuff too. I'll put that up along with some of the bands grooviness once I get the footage back from the the producer.

YouTube - ‪Larry Mitchell and Ari joshua in the studio with "Swell Kol‬‏

I can see why Ari likes the Mesa Trans-Atlantic I tried one a few weeks ago while in a Guitar Center by my friend’s house in Conn. Only spent a short time with it but could really got allot of great tones out of it. Had thoughts about getting it myself (I’m a 20+ year Mesa player), although I always was more into the Mark series and caliber series lines. Anyway!

What stopped me? I heard the Axe Fx II at the NY amp show not the best setting for Fractal or anyone else really but was still taken back. And I still love my Standard! Bottom line for me and what I do I just don’t see the point in getting another tube amp, and that’s not a hit against tube amps, just what works for me.

I would be curios if Ari puts aside that Mesa in the future, or at least for playing live purposes.

I can see why Ari likes the Mesa Trans-Atlantic I tried one a few weeks ago while in a Guitar Center by my friend’s house in Conn. Only spent a short time with it but could really got allot of great tones out of it. Had thoughts about getting it myself (I’m a 20+ year Mesa player), although I always was more into the Mark series and caliber series lines. Anyway!

What stopped me? I heard the Axe Fx II at the NY amp show not the best setting for Fractal or anyone else really but was still taken back. And I still love my Standard! Bottom line for me and what I do I just don’t see the point in getting another tube amp, and that’s not a hit against tube amps, just what works for me.

I would be curios if Ari puts aside that Mesa in the future, or at least for playing live purposes.

The TA is cool. I have a ton of amps, including a Marshall, a Mesa dc. 50, a Mark II, a Mark IV, a Silkyn Combo Amp, a Polytone and a bunch of other stuff. The TA is great with the Axe cause it has all the in and out options you need + switching options galore. Now a days every place you play a gig at, you don't really need the 100 watt or 50 watt set ups unless you want to be the loudest thing
on stage (not my priority). 15 watts is Plenty for most situations - if you need more head room flip it to 40 watts...
Granted! I am more of a Jazz Player by training and style so that's gonna shift my priorities.

I still think most of what makes a Great tone comes from your Hands, your Ears, Your Heart, and Your Soul.
Still working on that myself - it can be a life long quest I am told. Great gear def. helps. The Axe is the coolest thing I have come across to date. I have to say also it was really cool to hear how Larry was using his on these sessions cause it's way different then
the way I use it and also sounds Killer! He is really a master of the unit, and a masterful player.

Everyone has different tastes.
I tried to run the Axe in a few ways but to me I really like having the amp for dry sounds.
The Trans Atlantic works great for a nice compact head with lots of options.

Will I put it aside? Haven't tried that yet!

Everyone has different tastes.
I tried to run the Axe in a few ways but to me I really like having the amp for dry sounds.
The Trans Atlantic works great for a nice compact head with lots of options.

Will I put it aside? Haven't tried that yet!

You might, you might not, and like you said different taste. Hey! I can always go back to my Mark IV and Recto cab. I totally agree with you about the wattage thing. And it’s two weeks later and I still have that Mesa TA on my mind, just a great little tone monster.

I too have been thinking about picking up a Mesa TA30. I love Mesa amps and especially their customer service if you have questions or problems. Have you tried the Royal Atlantic?

Back
Top Bottom