"In the room" tone and "close mic'd" tone simultaneously

CameronCastle

First of all, Hello to all, as I am new to the Axe FX II (purchased the unit 8 days ago).
And am brand new to the forum (first day, second post).

My primary reason for getting the Axe FX was for a recording solution. I have read Yek's
incredible tutorial, as well as the wiki pages and user manual. I'm wanting to develop
a series of presets that will give the DAW it's required "close mic'd" tone while simultaneously
getting a great "in the room" tone via a dedicated FRFR set-up for monitoring.

Being new to the axe, I figured the easiest way would be to use two amp blocks, and two cab
blocks, one set for "in the room" monitoring, the other for recording using both sets of outputs.
Output 1 going to the audio interface (Or USB out as well) Output 2 to FRFR wedges in stereo.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions for this type of set-up?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the fold. You're in for a treat.

I'm not sure why you'd want two weparate amp blocks...or two cab blocks for that matter, unless you want to set one of them to change the sound for monitoring.

Try this: dial in the sound you want on your FRFR monitors, then record it. The COPY OUT1 TO OUT2 setting is your friend. :)

I can get a great feel and response as though having the amp in the room with me, but it's tone is different than the recorded tone needed. When I copy out 1 to out 2, the recording tone is different through the wedges. It looses some of the responsiveness and sounds a little harsh on the high end. I am new to this unit,
so I may be missing something.

Welcome to the Fractal "rabbit hole" - you have no idea how deep this little box will go...

I bought the AxeFX for the same reason you did, as a recoding solution. Here's my set-up which is very similar to what it sounds like you want:
AxeFX-> USB -> DAW
AxeFX -> OUT 1 -> Carvin SRS Reference monitors
AxeFX -> COPY OUT 1/OUT 2 (L/R) -> Pair of Verve 8ma's

For me this a great solution YMMV

-Greg

I can get a great feel and response as though having the amp in the room with me, but it's tone is different than the recorded tone needed. When I copy out 1 to out 2, the recording tone is different through the wedges. It looses some of the responsiveness and sounds a little harsh on the high end. I am new to this unit,
If you don't have the monitors at near-gig level when recording, you're hearing the sound directly off your strings added to the sound you're recording.

Try recording yourself into the looper and dialing in your tone with the looper playing. Then your recorded sound should be the same as what you hear.

CameronCastle said:
It looses some of the responsiveness and sounds a little harsh on the high end. I am new to this unit,

Welcome to the rabbit hole indeed.

Two things you must be aware of:

1) each monitor will have some sonic signature that you won't hear until you hear the AxeFx thru something else. Wedges all sound different, as do studio monitors and headphones.
- the more expensive/high-end you go, the smaller that sonic signature will be, with few exceptions. Atomic Amps' CLR monitors and RCF seem to be the winners for FRFR.

2) there are always methods/tweaks to compensate for or adjust to the sound you want in the AxeFx. Nothing even comes close to the tweak-ability of the AxeFx.
- you might try tweaking the hi-cut on your cab block if it's too harsh. That way you don't change your sound.
- also, if your wedges are low-quality or not even Full-range, the fullness of the AxeFx is not coming thru the speakers, but rather a natural hi-cut & Lo-cut are occurring. Therefore, when you move to something full-range or even with truer reference, you shouldn't be surprised to hear things (like too much treble/bass/etc) you didn't before.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking into the CLR's as far as wedges go. Every moment spent with the axe puts a wider smile on my face. The unit is simply incredible.

Back
Top Bottom