In studio: Direct & IRs vs. Cab & mic?

Rontti

Hello everyone!

Our band is starting studio sessions in a few months and I've wondered, which method have you fellow Fractal users preferred when recording an album (metal):

1) Axe II + good quality IRs --> digital out (usb, spdif, aes/ebu)
2) Same as above but with analog out
3) Axe II + tube amp fx return --> cab and mic
4) Same as above but with solid state neutral power amp

I would be interested, if someone has experience with the first and second options and how have you perceived if there's significant difference compared to third and fourth one, which I guess are pretty common? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I've had. It's just our another guitarist is more of a traditional guy and goes always with tube head & cab, so I'm just curious if I could talk him into this option.

To me the best solution is #1 + a DI track for re-amp/re-cab purpose!
+1

Go with your best attempt at the 'right' tone at first, which will help with the performance. But also record the dry DI track so that you have options as other tracks are added and the mix evolves.

Also, new firmware comes out so fast around here. You can even re-amp some or all tracks if you wish.

just... WHY?!
tons of wasted data overcharging your daw without any influence on the sound!
BECAUSE it sounds better. I've been doing this for many, many, many, many years. I'm also a recording engineer. I personally don't know ANY professional recording engineers who record at 44-48. You can argue with me all day. If you can't hear it with top notch audio gear, you can't There most definitely is TO ME very obvious influence on the sound.

I am NOT going to argue over this though. It's pointless.

BECAUSE it sounds better. I've been doing this for many, many, many, many years. I'm also a recording engineer. I personally don't know ANY professional recording engineers who record at 44-48. You can argue with me all day. If you can't hear it with top notch audio gear, you can't There most definitely is TO ME very obvious influence on the sound.
Actually this is really dependend on the equipment you are using. Especially in modern days it's easier to have the HW sound good at higher sample rates. It's a mere "construction" thing.

So, no arguing :)

If you can't hear it with top notch audio gear, you can't There most definitely is TO ME very obvious influence on the sound. I am NOT going to argue over this though. It's pointless.

It's a real pleasure to talk with the "2001 A Space Odissey" Monolith.
Anyway - if the Monolith can ear - ear this: there is no final user that can ear what you can ear with your top-notch gear @96K!
So THIS is pointless!
bye-bye baby engineer!

Back
Top Bottom