In light of the third party cab libraries...

Would you like the option of using factory IR slots for user IR's?

• Total voters
Yes pls Cliff - I hardly don't really use any of the stock IR's - no offense, but I love the UltraRes, especially die TAF ones. So for testing loud it would be good to have more user-cabs in the Axe as I don't have a Lap-Top:eagerness:

Last edited:
I don't use any of the stock ones. I used to, but that was a real long time ago. What I would like is the Dumble speaker in ultra res.

I think there are maybe 5 or 6 stock cabs I use and that's it.
opening those up would be a great option as long as we have all of them available to reload (in case we overwrote one by mistake)

I think there are maybe 5 or 6 stock cabs I use and that's it.
opening those up would be a great option as long as we have all of them available to reload (in case we overwrote one by mistake)

+1.

I guess it would be there if you reset the Axe for emergency.

agreed. i think some of the later mix it's are good....but i have no use for the earlier it's, redwirez or the v9 stuff.

I use 90percent og's. I find it too difficult to keep track of user ir s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that that area of the chip is read only for the IRs. I hope I'm wrong.
Also in light of the fact that the XL has all those extra user IR slots, Cliff has no reason to re-design anything on the Axe II.

My guess is that that area of the chip is read only for the IRs. I hope I'm wrong.
Also in light of the fact that the XL has all those extra user IR slots, Cliff has no reason to re-design anything on the Axe II.

Your guess is on the money.

Plus, I strongly believe if Cliff could have expanded your access to IRs in the current Axe-Fx II hardware he would have. He's cool like that.

Last edited:
Maybe, as time passes and ultra res IR's become the norm, Cliff will replace the factory IR's with ultra res. As long as the II remains a viable product, it would seem to make sense if users are stating they are not using those IR's.

I don't get this statement at all. I understand how a "normal" company would do this, but this is Fractal Audio. Plus the XL has +500 slots. Opening the factory cabs would give us some odd 130 more user slots. Still half of what the storage capacity of the XL is. Beside, the extended user slots of the XL is only a small part of the extras it offers.

I use the factory cabs when I want to share a patch. I think it's fair to have common ground among users – this makes sharing patches and tips much easier. However, you can't deny that most of the factory cabs are a bit "worn out". They're just taking up that much closet space (with moth balls and all) and rarely see the light of day.

I don't get this statement at all. I understand how a "normal" company would do this, but this is Fractal Audio. Plus the XL has +500 slots. Opening the factory cabs would give us some odd 130 more user slots. Still half of what the storage capacity of the XL is. Beside, the extended user slots of the XL is only a small part of the extras it offers.

I use the factory cabs when I want to share a patch. I think it's fair to have common ground among users – this makes sharing patches and tips much easier. However, you can't deny that most of the factory cabs are a bit "worn out". They're just taking up that much closet space (with moth balls and all) and rarely see the light of day.

I think If this was possible, Cliff would have already brought it up, and I can't say for sure, but I seem to recall reading something along the lines of hardware limitations.

In light of the great third party cab IR libraries, wouldn't it be great if one could overwrite the factory cabs and use those slots for user cabs too?

What say ye?

I don't think the factory slots will change any time soon, so we Axe FX users are stock with just 100 slots and for many that will be just enough, but the truth is that you need more slots in order to really find the special IRs that will become your favourite go to cabs and that is where the XL shine.

If you have $199 to spare, overcome any space limitations and buy the Lodigy ESPi unit and put it in the FX loop of the Axe FX Standard, Ultra, II or XL and you will also get true convolution reverbs and way longer IRs and it is STEREO!!! that will ensure countless hours of fun.

This s going to be the year of the IRs for sure.

I don't think the factory slots will change any time soon, so we Axe FX users are stock with just 100 slots and for many that will be just enough, but the truth is that you need more slots in order to really find the special IRs that will become your favourite go to cabs and that is where the XL shine.

If you have $199 to spare, overcome any space limitations and buy the Lodigy ESPi unit and put it in the FX loop of the Axe FX Standard, Ultra, II or XL and you will also get true convolution reverbs and way longer IRs and it is STEREO!!! that will ensure countless hours of fun.

This s going to be the year of the IRs for sure.

Lodigy is cool thanks for that!

I am sooo excited to buy one, ill use mine for so many different things! I want it right now!

Edit: bought it.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the possibilities of the Logidy. How many user cab IRs can it store? Their website doesn't say.

Last edited:
Sharing patches will be more difficult since you have to share the IR also, or it may not sound the same if you have overwritten the factory cab with something else.

Seriously, 50 user cabs are not enough? Most of us use a handful at best.

Sharing patches will be more difficult since you have to share the IR also, or it may not sound the same if you have overwritten the factory cab with something else.

Seriously, 50 user cabs are not enough? Most of us use a handful at best.

It's the auditioning and tweaking of presets where it is really convenient to have your IR collection fully loaded. That is where the massive number of slots pays off.

Back
Top Bottom