AFIII In Honor of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s death anniversary......

Sadly and strangely, I was there that night at Alpine Valley, and saw the helicopters parked there, and wondered if anyone was crazy enough to try to fly in this crappy weather......

Sadly and strangely, I was there that night at Alpine Valley, and saw the helicopters parked there, and wondered if anyone was crazy enough to try to fly in this crappy weather......

My wife was there too .... She even saw them preparing to leave. By the time of the accident she was half way home to Madison, WI .... She didn't hear what happened until the next morning. Still remembers the date too ! Really, REALLY Sad ! :(

Yeah I was barely 2 years old at the time of SRV’s accident... but of course after listening to him so long I can imagine the impact that made on the guitar community

This got me thinking about Alpine Valley, in its prime (late 70s-one of the best outdoor venues for bands and audience alike, and how many amazing shows I saw there (only about a half hour away from my family’s summer resort, and we had connections for primo tickets) off the top of my head , I saw Rolling Stones, Supertramp, Grateful Dead, Phish, Kansas, Ozzfest, mr.Sting, and many others....amazing acoustics even on the lawn seating ,which were set on a sloping hill, when it got wet, though, made for some interesting slippery action.....

Sounds fantastic! Love that neck pup tone- throaty and beefy. Do you mind me asking what pickups do you have installed on that guitar?

Used to ski there at night; many times below zero F in the 1970s.
c o o l. but are u old enough to remember the other Southern Wisconsin notorious ski place/ outdoor rock venue Majestic
Hills, outside Lake Geneva? thats where I got my real music education in the late sixties/early 70s ..The Who on their us tour before Tommy came out..
Eric Burdon and War ( the stonedest looking band ever)..Tull on the aqualung tour..Archie Bell and the Drells..steppenwolf...Three Dog Night (Fuxcking amazing live)..my first Zappa show.............

c o o l. but are u old enough to remember the other Southern Wisconsin notorious ski place/ outdoor rock venue Majestic
Hills, outside Lake Geneva? thats where I got my real music education in the late sixties/early 70s ..The Who on their us tour before Tommy came out..
Eric Burdon and War ( the stonedest looking band ever)..Tull on the aqualung tour..Archie Bell and the Drells..steppenwolf...Three Dog Night (Fuxcking amazing live)..my first Zappa show.............

My early music days were mostly jazz artists - but I did work a large outdoor venue in Chicago ‘burbs one year. I saw a lot of acts that summer.

Even went into the green room and tried on a famous 70s singer/songwriters costume, which was way too small for my height. Won’t say whose though ... lol.

I'm convinced a dual rectifier is the miscreant son of an alcoholic abusive bassman father. all you have to do is throw 20db into the front of a bassman and it's a godam apocalypse.

I walked into a random pub here in Auckland (New Zealand) one night in the early nineties looking for a drink. It must have been shortly before he died.
I walked in and saw this dude setting up on stage for a jam with a local band. Got my drink and went back to the band area. I thought, that guy looks like SRV and as soon as they started to play I knew it was the man himself....I couldn't believe it. Wow that was a great night of impromptu jamming by one of the greats. He didn't play any of his known stuff, just improv and I didn't even have to pay to see him play.

I learned later that he was going out with a New Zealand girl, whom he later married which was probably why he was down in this neck of the woods since he wasn't doing any concerts here. I was in the right place at the right time....a night I'll never forget though the actual year evades me.

Back
Top Bottom