In ears with AX8

TimMcG1011

Inspired
Wondering if anyone else is going direct to FOH with their AX8 (no amp/monitor on stage) and using in ears. If so, what in ears are you using? Dual, Triple driver? More? Been doing this for some time now and using Shure SE425s (dual driver) and I'm still unsatisfied. Thinking about upgrading, but would like some feedback if anyone has a recommendation that they like.

Thanks!

I go direct with IEMs as well...lucked out on a deal from 64 Audio last summer. They were selling some A6 (six drivers: 2 low, 2 mid, 2 high) for almost half off. I'd recommend something with at least 3 drivers. I don't think 2 is enough for clarity sake.

I took over our tech for our campus and I was appalled at how bad our Westone (also 2 driver)/Shure 425 IEMs were. Somebody was complaining of a short in one, so I started to check them all. I put in the 1st pair and immediately thought they were broke because of how muddy & muffled they sounded. Tried the 2nd pair and got the same thing. Tried a 3rd pair and realized that these things weren't broke, just awful. The Shure IEMs were a little better than the Westone IEMs, but both were awful compared to my 64s.

For guitars, I recommend atleast 3 drivers.
I've been using the Westone UMPro 30 for a while and am very happy. I recently got the AMPro30 and am very happy with them as well.
Didn't like the Shures as they are not neutral.

Custom IEMs there are plenty to choose from if you decide to go that route.

Tons of options and opinions.

A few constants-
Stereo is way better than mono
Triple Drivers at least
Custom molds
Mixer capabilities- a little verb on the drums and vocals helps a lot imo

Personal opinions-
I've had Shure SE535s for awhile that have done well. Recently tried Westone Ambient 3 drivers and found them to not be as good as my Shures. Also the unit I've used MIPRO never has dropouts but is not as clear as the Shure P9. I've not had the pleasure of trying some of the really high end in-ears unfortunately.

Good luck!

Agree with those above, that you need at least 3 drivers . Took my SE425s and had them modified with an additional driver and set in custom molds. Been really happy since.

I go direct to FOH and use IEM's. Agree on the triple drivers. I use AT's. The seal between the earbud and your ear canal is essential to get the low end. Also, watch the volume. Very high noise levels can damage your hearing and it cannot be reversed.

I have A3's and they are very satisfying to use for a full night.
I hear so much better with IEM's so I'm happy to get them back in if I go a song with them out.

I use triple drivers, and they sound pretty good. Much better than my Shure 215's... The problem is the price jumps up when you are looking at IEMs with more that 2-3 drivers.

+1 to the Westone AM PRo 30's (triple driver). They are pretty good...I think I might like that 6 driver solution mentioned above a little better but the Westones sound pretty good.

Appreciate all the feedback! I checked out Alclair triple driver options (reference and tour models). Very reasonably priced. Thinking these and custom molds with local audiologist might be the answer. The 64 audio are way out of my budget unfortunately.

Thanks for all the replies and information. Love IEM for vocals, drums, keys. Have yet to hear a truly satisfying guitar tone through them. Hoping this resolves that or gets me a lot closer.

Back
Top Bottom