In Ears - How do you all mix?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I use the Axe Fx II. You guys do stereo mix or mono? I use the QSC Touchmix 16 and can do an awful lot with that and curious. My MIPRO 909 rec/trans can do mono or stereo too.

I also have the Touchmix 16 and the In Ear experience is light years better panned in stereo than mono. Panning not just my guitar and mic but also the others in the band makes it a lot more natural. Using other venues sound with everything mono down the middle works, but it's not at all close to being the same.

Stereo - for sure if you can.
Pan stuff based on their stage position.
Personally, I remove stuff I don't need - like toms and overheads. SINGLE mono instruments like keys/fiddle/pedal-steel or horns I center, with multiple guitars being panned based on stage position. I keep "me" centered so I can have "more me" and pan my vocals slightly off-center and slightly lower than centered lead vox.

What works for me MAY NOT work for you. You have to take the time and figure it out.

We use stereo with a DL32R.

I personally like my mix more like an album, not based on people's position... But everyone in my band controls their own mix so are free to do what works for them.

We use the same thing....dial in your own mix. I’m not real big on it. I am trying to get a master house mix sent to my ears. I wanna hear what the audience hears. I wanna know if I’m too loud, not loud enough. Unfortunately we are not blessed with quality sound people. Kind of the opposite really. So they have no idea what I’m doing as a musician. A master mix to my ear allows me to blend better. I think it would be great for vocals as well. Harmonies can drop back better, lead vocals change, so they can sing a little louder, because our sound guy didn’t notice and adjust the levels. Man, a good sound person is sooooo important! They can get a good mix, but then don’t know when a solo comes in, or I switch instruments, or the lead vocals changed to someone else and the harmonies are too loud.ugh...

My last church used a Aviom system. Each musician could dial in their own mix.
How would this be needed if you had a QSC Touchmix 16 that you can control your personal mix via an iphone or ipad? Asking as the only real benefit I can see to having this, with my system, is fast manual knobs and buttons to manipulate. Please advise, thanks!

How would this be needed if you had a QSC Touchmix 16 that you can control your personal mix via an iphone or ipad? Asking as the only real benefit I can see to having this, with my system, is fast manual knobs and buttons to manipulate. Please advise, thanks!
Aviom and similar systems came before the full iPad revolution in live sound. So at a time, they were the only way to go. As iPads got better and WiFi got faster, 5 or more iPads (or phones) could connect to systems and finally allow everyone to dial their own mix.

As you said, tactile buttons and knobs are the main benefit of these systems today. Probably don’t need them at all with a stable WiFi network and recent devices from all band members. Just make sure people stay in their own channels when mixing.

Stereo, pan stuff around your space, it makes for a more realistic experience and less fatigue. It's a stereo world, your brain gets tired trying to discern all those sources coming at you in mono. My band had an x32 and used ipad and iphones to control the mix. Everyone else besides me had the hardest time understanding it, so I abandoned it and got a 1u 4 channel stereo mixer and went back old school just for me. I run my guitar on channels 1&2 panned hard left and right, then a split of my vocal mic on 3, then a band mix without me for 4. not ideal but works.

When we had the x32 it was really easy to adjust quickly on the iphones, but sometimes knobs are better for people.

It would not be needed if you have a different controller that accomplished the same thing. The Aviom has a snapshot feature that allows you to set a specific mix, save it, and then recall it. Nice feature.

Just make sure people stay in their own channels when mixing.

Ya that would be bad! I'm sure it has happened plenty. I'll give the stereo a go and start using another ipad to mix and keep it on a charger "always on" on top of my rig for fast tweaking.

One of the benefits of the Touchmix is the ability to assign aux channels to each device so each person only has access to their own aux mix. We had a new sound guy once that didn't like our order and decided to change them all. It took awhile before we figured out we were all controlling someone else's mix.

Back
Top Bottom