In Ears for Input / Output 2

bread

Power User
Quick question please

I'm going to run everything from the desk (stereo) into input 2 of the FX3 when it arrives so I can mix the guitar from out 1 and everything else from out 2 as a blend to my IEMs. I can ipad individual mixes so this isnt a problem for separate mixes

Question is of the outputs on the 3 run at -10dbv or +4db ?

You’ll need to add In2 and Out2 blocks in every preset you use. I’d suggest a small mixer if possible.

You’ll need to add In2 and Out2 blocks in every preset you use. I’d suggest a small mixer if possible.

That's a bummer I was hoping to ditch my denon mixer

Dear Cliff, please please please ....

;)

Question is of the outputs on the 3 run at -10dbv or +4db ?
pg 5 of the manual:
Outputs 1-2 are ready to be connected to consumer line inputs (-10 dbV). If you are connecting to professional-grade equipment operating at +4dBu, set the nominal output levels as follows:
  1. Page to the Audio page of the I/O menu under SETUP.
  2. Adjust Output 1: Output Level or Output 2: Output Level to +4dBu.

Thank you

Would be very handy if I could route this in the config menu to be default without having to add extra in and out blocks though.
I think it’s rare to have something go in and out directly without any processing.

How would you mix your guitar in if you can’t route it in the grid?

I think it’s rare to have something go in and out directly without any processing.

How would you mix your guitar in if you can’t route it in the grid?

My guitar goes to the desk on out 1 then to FOH. I hear what they hear ... output 2 on my xl+ is echoed from out 1.

Output 2 goes to my IEM via my denon mixer on a single channel

Everything except guitar is sent from the desk separately as a pre fade mix which comes back to me into my denon mixer on another separate channel.

This way I can control my IEM levels for guitar and everything else separately and very quickly by turning two faders on the denon mixer.

If I could use out 1and 2 "and 3" as separate mixes on the 3 I could bin my denon mixer

So ...

Out 1 FOH . Set and forget
Out 2 - guitar send
Out 3 - everything else to blend with Out 2

I hope this makes sense... sorry for all the edits ;)

Last edited:
My guitar goes to the desk on out 1 then to FOH. I hear what they hear ... output 2 on my xl+ is echoed from out 1.

Output 2 goes to my IEM via my denon mixer on a single channel

Everything except guitar is sent from the desk separately as a pre fade mix which comes back to me into my denon mixer on another separate channel.

This way I can control my IEM levels for guitar and everything else separately and very quickly by turning two faders on the denon mixer.

If I could use out 1and 2 "and 3" as separate mixes on the 3 I could bin my denon mixer

So ...

Out 1 FOH . Set and forget
Out 2 - guitar send
Out 3 - everything else to blend with Out 2

I hope this makes sense... sorry for all the edits ;)
With that, what would be the “automatic” part that the axe could do for you?

Out 2 guitar send... to what?
Out 3 everything else send... to what?

With the 3, you could instead use Out 1 for headphones/IEM.

Put Out 2 on the grid for the FOH send (XLRs), just connect it to the grid under Out 1 block.

Put In 2 one spot left of Out 1 and connect it directly to Out 1.

Done. You’d just have to add Out 2 and In 2 to all your presets.

Otherwise I don’t see how the Axe could automatically know you want In 2 to directly go to Out 1, but not any other output. Or to somehow know to blend Out 2 and 3 (from your example) but not blend anything else.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you got the answer about the output levels on outs 3 and 4. I went to the manual, and all I can find is this:

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 6.16.14 PM.jpg

This doesn't directly state that these are -10 or +4 specifically. It would be great to have a clarification. I know about the unity gain, but at what level?

I'm not sure you got the answer about the output levels on outs 3 and 4. I went to the manual, and all I can find is this:

View attachment 57191

This doesn't directly state that these are -10 or +4 specifically. It would be great to have a clarification. I know about the unity gain, but at what level?

Thanks for your help :)

With that, what would be the “automatic” part that the axe could do for you?

Out 2 guitar send... to what?
Out 3 everything else send... to what?

With the 3, you could instead use Out 1 for headphones/IEM.

Put Out 2 on the grid for the FOH send (XLRs), just connect it to the grid under Out 1 block.

Put In 2 one spot left of Out 1 and connect it directly to Out 1.

Done. You’d just have to add Out 2 and In 2 to all your presets.

Otherwise I don’t see how the Axe could automatically know you want In 2 to directly go to Out 1, but not any other output. Or to somehow know to blend Out 2 and 3 (from your example) but not blend anything else.

I want to mix the guitar with the rest if the band (except guitar) using the inputs and outputs of the axe fx 3 ... without adding extra blocks.

There is no "automatic" I just want to use the i/o of the 3 to do what I do with s denon mixer.

I want to mix the guitar with the rest if the band (except guitar) using the inputs and outputs of the axe fx 3 ... without adding extra blocks.

There is no "automatic" I just want to use the i/o of the 3 to do what I do with s denon mixer.
“Without adding blocks” is the automatic part. Because again, the Axe can’t know what combination of 4 inputs and outputs you want blended in a specific way.

“Without adding blocks” is the automatic part. Because again, the Axe can’t know what combination of 4 inputs and outputs you want blended in a specific way.

I would prefer it if I could set it up this way permanently via the config

Set up a preset template in Axe Edit with those blocks in there and use it any time you create a new preset.

Unity gain means: what comes in goes out at the same level. So -10 or +4 is not relevant here. At unity gain, the level of the signal at the input dictates the level of the outgoing signal.

Just a thought.... using the extra out blocks would take up two rows of the grid that I couldn't use for effects ?

Just a thought.... using the extra out blocks would take up two rows of the grid that I couldn't use for effects ?
Why? Just put them at the very end connected to the same last block that Out 1 is. You don’t need to shunt the entire row if that’s what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom