In ear monitors

I mostly play solo acoustic gigs with my in ear system. Occasionally, I'll play with a drummer etc. Anyone have any tips on how to keep the volume of the drum kit from bleeding through the vocal mic's and over powering the mix? Yes, I am prepared to tell the drummer to play softer;-) Thanks!

Couple of things, in case you haven't already tried these:
  • Move the mic so the kit is off-axis to the mic capsule
  • Try a different mic. If you're using a cardiod, try a hypercardiod
  • Drum kit shield

Drum shield came in super handy for us at our last gig. The singers were cranking their monitors to hear themselves over the drums and everyone started turning up to match the vocals. We added the drum shield and we had a nice mid volume mix and the drummer didn't have to sit and conciously try to back off the whole night.

If buying used, be aware that the 700MHz band has been sold off and can no longer be used legally. The 600MHz band is expected to be sold off soon so I'd avoid devices that use that range as well.

If buying used, be aware that the 700MHz band has been sold off and can no longer be used legally. The 600MHz band is expected to be sold off soon so I'd avoid devices that use that range as well.

Looks like a 39 month transition period, but this sucks. Especially after just doing this for some people.

Back
Top Bottom