In-ear-monitoring sounds totally different, help

I waited until I tried them myself through FOH before I posted a recommendation... they are great. Downside is the connection to the ear piece is two small plugs but for price no complaints.

lots of good suggestions here:

I don't totally believe it's just the product itself. It's not always the gear!

here's another real back to basics one that most IEM rookies make the mistake of:

Make sure they are completely IN your ears so you get them properly SEALED. Follow the exact procedures to get them in (twisting motions etc) and all the way in. Then you'll hear the actual sound of your guitar signal. Not only that, lots and LOTS of first time users, put the wrong ear piece in the wrong ear; ie put left side ear piece in the right ear and vice versa.

Just purchased the KZ AS10s after reading this thread. Will post reviews when I've played a gig with them. Hoping they're as good as people say. My Shure 215s aren't cutting it...

I have been using the AS10s now for a week or so - both for just music from phone to IEM tests and other sources - been very happy with them for the price. I tried the three diff sizes of included molds and stuck with the medium ones. Perfect? No, but until I need/get custom ones done they are fine. My old westone molds were great for about 6-7 years before they no longer fit my ears well.

I have been using the AS10s now for a week or so - both for just music from phone to IEM tests and other sources - been very happy with them for the price. I tried the three diff sizes of included molds and stuck with the medium ones. Perfect? No, but until I need/get custom ones done they are fine. My old westone molds were great for about 6-7 years before they no longer fit my ears well.
given custom molds are over 500 bucks, I can put up with an awful lot for a 500 dollar savings

Thin sounds from in ears is usually a fit issue in my experience. If they don’t have a good seal in the ear they thin right out.

True, I have some soft silicone custom molds. They are not tight enough, so I loose all bottom end, when I wear them. I now use the largest standard Shure black soft foam plug. That gives me all the bottom end I need. They might be a little painful to put in the ear, but the sound makes it totally worth it.

True, I have some soft silicone custom molds. They are not tight enough, so I loose all bottom end, when I wear them. I now use the largest standard Shure black soft foam plug. That gives me all the bottom end I need. They might be a little painful to put in the ear, but the sound makes it totally worth it.
Try a bit of Vaseline or other gel lubricant, 64 Audio actually sells an "ear gel". I almost gave up on my custom in ears because of the discomfort. SInce I started "lubing" my ears, no more discomfort and they seal better as well.

Just use KY

Vasoline and petroleum based products can degrade some materials and really don’t absorb very well, making your external auditory canal a greasy mess, and can lead to occlusion of the sound bore.

Water based lube like KY washes out easily and is safe for most materials

There are plenty of products that say they are for molds, hearing aids etc, but they are really just relabeled KY in a smaller tube, and for more money

That said, properly fit molds shouldn’t be hard to get in, should stay in well, and above all should be comfortable for both wearing and/or singing

Thanks guys,

I should say that my custom molds are made in silicone, so they are soft rather than hard. Most custom molds, I have seen are hard. My custom molds are easy and comfortable to get into the ear, but the fit is not good enough, so I loose bass. This becomes worse as I start to sweat a bit.

The standard plugs I use now are these https://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_eabkf1_l.htm - I think they work quite well. I was definitely exaggerating, when I said they were painful. They just feel big. They are not uncomfortable.

What is this KY? could you give a link. I don't think I ever heard about that before.

I would have never guessed that URL, and honestly, I thought it might have been difficult to google it :cool: (it wasn't)

Update: I purchased the KZ AS10 for about $67 on Amazon. These are just incredible for the price. Did a gig with them Sunday and I have NEVER heard the fractal sound better. I was really bumming doing gigs with just in ears, direct to FOH and no on stage amplification. That has now changed with these. Heard everything clearly and the guitar sounds great all night in my mix. So glad I saw this thread. Thanks for the tip!!!

Update: I purchased the KZ AS10 for about $67 on Amazon. These are just incredible for the price. Did a gig with them Sunday and I have NEVER heard the fractal sound better. I was really bumming doing gigs with just in ears, direct to FOH and no on stage amplification. That has now changed with these. Heard everything clearly and the guitar sounds great all night in my mix. So glad I saw this thread. Thanks for the tip!!!

Glad you liked them I just bought another pair of the ZS10s for a friend of mine. I found these in when I did a search for 3 and 4 driver IEM's. It seems a lot of church gospel groups were using them and raving about how good they were.

Bass player friend bought both the AS10s and ZS10s - tried them both at at last saturday's gig. He was coming from more than a year with the Shure 535s. He loved em both but chose the ZS10s for the extra boom/bass.

I have custom molds for the Shures. They were made in soft silicone. I could never get these silicone moulds to fit tightly in the ear. I lost all bass response. Now I use the standard Shure black foam plugs. They work great for me.

Back
Top Bottom