In ear monitoring live

im going direct to board from axe with in-ears going to personal mixer. i have gigged with my kemper this way. just got my axe a week ago so i am trying it out live next week.

Board feed. Unless the stage volume is really loud, it's hard to hear the monitors when I run straight from the modeler.

I have used it in ear for 2 years in a lot of gigs. Coming from the monitoring board. Super hi fi sound, and the other musicians also say to me they think its a great sound.
Just , for me, a little bit hard to set the level stages of the presets (clean, crunch, lead) in the live situation.
I usually leave head room for a 10db boost of my clean patch for a clean solo lead.

Using a Psm 200. Has two inputs. Can take a board feed. Or if it's a smaller gig (aka no Soundman). I just take an output from the AxeFx so I can hear my guitar better. Stage volume will be determined by the band. I don't run stereo.

The biggest struggle , for me, is not blowing my ears when I go from clean, inside the mix, to a distortion lead sound! If I lower the level of the leads (so I don't go deaf) the PA Technician will ask if I can raise the levels of the solos...
Definitely, it is "easier" to mix with some FRFR monitors, of course, more stage volume, than with in-ears...

Using a Psm 200. Has two inputs. Can take a board feed. Or if it's a smaller gig (aka no Soundman). I just take an output from the AxeFx so I can hear my guitar better. Stage volume will be determined by the band. I don't run stereo.
i have the PSM 900 and love it. I bring a monitor feed into one side of the transmitter to get the rest of the band and then run the headphone jack out of the Axe to the other input of the transmitter and balance them with the Shure body pack and set my own volume here as well. Use an inexpensive set of etymotics and can hear everything really really well.

When running with a venue that has it's own sound guy, I bring my own little mixer and ask for a monitor feed with no guitar and mix in the Axe to my IEM's myself. This way they cannot mess with what I hear.

So many times, I get into arguments because they are summing my stereo feed and insist that it's my IEM's and not their board.... Then they get mad that I am talking down to them because i'm not getting what I need to perform and the summed signal sounds like razor blades..... funny how when I use a cheap mixer and route the signal myself there is no problem...

I don't even bother anymore. Just use my own mixer all the time and ask for a guitarless monitor mix.

I've been running IEM from my AxeFx/AxeFx2 since 2008. My main outputs go direct to the FOH but are split off into my band's own digital IEM desk.
I run in stereo with Sennheiser 300 series and Shure drivers.
I used Etymotic drivers for a while but they couldn't stand up to the rigors of live work.
I run an RCF wedge from Output 2 so i can give my stage sound a bit of 'balls' otherwise it's too clinical.
The only problem with IEMs - the freakin' drummer is so loud even though he's behind plexi.
With six open vocal mics i can't isolate him from my ears.
Prior to this it was brilliant.

my band buy a X-Air 18 mixer witch a split patch bay for our monitors, I go direct to mixer and do my own mix form my iPad.
best 1500$ spend in a long time

I also have a PSM 900 and some UE18s but used output 2 since it lived in a rack with the Axe. The issue for me was getting a consistent monitor mix despite the fact that it was the same weekly venue. I have considered trying again now that we have an Aviom system which would allow me to setup my own mix but the CLR is working so well!

i have the PSM 900 and love it. I bring a monitor feed into one side of the transmitter to get the rest of the band and then run the headphone jack out of the Axe to the other input of the transmitter and balance them with the Shure body pack and set my own volume here as well. Use an inexpensive set of etymotics and can hear everything really really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a PSM 900 and some UE18s but used output 2 since it lived in a rack with the Axe. The issue for me was getting a consistent monitor mix despite the fact that it was the same weekly venue. I have considered trying again now that we have an Aviom system which would allow me to setup my own mix but the CLR is working so well!

Just curious - Did each member of the band drop close to a grand (for Aviom) for their monitor mix?

The church invested in an amazing system that included the Avioms [emoji2]

f339cbe9231ed57726ecace3e5f1faf5.jpg

Board feed into 1964 custom mold IEM's. I've found this is the most accurate way to tell what my Axe-FX tone will sound like in the final analysis. All of our sets are professionally mixed and posted online, and the tone I get live in my IEM's is extremely close to the tone in the final mix. No adulteration from an FRFR or anything else. It's great to know exactly how changes I make in the Axe-FX will affect the final mix. Hearing protection is the next big benefit. Our stage volume is brain-melting at times, and it's nice to not have my ears ring after a set. I have no interest in going back to monitor wedges.

In the past I've run a band mix into one channel of my wireless beltpack and the Axe-FX directly into the other channel (not through the board), and used the pack's mix control to give me more of my guitar if I need it. That also worked well, gave me more control, I didn't need to ask the monitor engineer for more of my guitar.

Last edited:
X32 rack, splitter snake, Sennheiser IEMG3, custom triple driver buds. mix on ipad or iphone. sound guy cannot mess up my mix. This weekend we did old school ear plugs, and no IEMs and still got by fine, but I missed my ear mix very badly.

X32 rack, splitter snake, Sennheiser IEMG3, custom triple driver buds. mix on ipad or iphone. sound guy cannot mess up my mix. .

This was the reason I used to have the setup I referenced with one channel of my wireless pack devoted to Axe-FX only. We had this sound guy who would start randomly messing with the channel gains on the board DURING GIGS. Not to control clipping, but to make changes to the FOH mix. Yes, with the gain controls. So of course it would f**k my monitor mix completely. Unbelievable. The direct Axe-FX setup fixed that at least with regard to my guitar. Fortunately in my current gig we have a dedicated monitor console and excellent monitor engineers, so it's no longer an issue and a straight monitor board mix works great.

my band buy a X-Air 18 mixer witch a split patch bay for our monitors, I go direct to mixer and do my own mix form my iPad.
best 1500$ spend in a long time

I m loving the X18, so convenient. Adjust my monitor mix from my phone on the mic stand 8). After they sort some minor iOS bugs, these things are lead the way to a new world imo.

Back
Top Bottom