In Ear Monitor Users - Please Chime In

pjrake

Inspired
I've decided to go in-ears and bought the Shure PSM 900 transmitter, which came with the SE425 ear buds. Let me give you a quick rundown of my setup, followed by some questions that those using in-ears with their Axe FX can advice me :)

Running a personal monitor mix using the one rack Rolls RM65b mixer. Running the OUT 2 of my Axe to two channels, panned hard L and R. Vocals going to third channel via loop out of my singer's IEM transmitter. Running my other guitarist's Axe OUT 1 to the fourth channel. Running the bass player's DI box out to the fifth channel. Running an MXL1006 large diaphram condenser mic as an ambient mic on the sixth channel to pick up the drums.

We're an original hard rock band so we share the stage with other bands every night and use the house soundguy. Trying to be as independent as I can without bothering the soundguy.

Here are the questions that I am still undecided or unsure about:

* Went to get ear impressions and ordered the Sensasonics custom tips for the SE425. Will it make a huge improvement if I upgrade to the JH16 Pro Custom in ears?

* Should I just use the ambient mic as my "drum" mix (just need to hear the drums, really) or should I get a Whirlwind DI box and take a feed from the monitor (the one on stage right, which is the one I would use if wasn't using in ears). The less setup I need to deal with the better, but will add the extra work if it means a better mix.

* Running a second cab block with FX loop just for my own monitor mix. Have the room level set to 20% with a small room reverb block on it (no reverb block on the cab to OUT 1). Should I adjust the room level more or less to get a better mix? Any other "tricks" I can use to this cab block (since it won't interfere with the FOH sound).

* Drummer uses a metronome and thought about getting a click feed for me, but don't have enough channels. Would you recommend me running on one channel so I can get a click feed, or is that just a bit overkill if I can already hear the drums?

* Any other tips/tricks you would suggest to improve? Are there some things I'm doing wrong?

I appreciate all of your help and suggestions \m/ \m/

I went with the JH16's and they are absolutely amazing. Having a stereo mix and being able to pan your mixes also made a big difference in clarity and separation.

What I think made the biggest difference when upgrading to the JH 16's was that the mold was so much more snug. If you don't have a tight enough mold the low-end will leak out and it'll just sound like a very thin mix. That being said I definitely recommend getting custom molds done versus just a tip. ( Just the tip lol)

Get the whole band on ears if you can. Use a split snake. one input - first tail to sound guy and second to your in ear mixer. Like Anthony said - GO STEREO. WAY BETTER!

However if it were just me using ears. I would have an ambient mic on one side of the stage and another ambient by me. I would be able to feel the bass and pick it up through the ambients. Especially if everyone else has stage monitors. The Ambients will pick up vocals then too..We have two ambient mics with our in ear system and I love them. It makes you feel like you aren't using ears, less isolated.

What I think made the biggest difference when upgrading to the JH 16's was that the mold was so much more snug. If you don't have a tight enough mold the low-end will leak out and it'll just sound like a very thin mix. That being said I definitely recommend getting custom molds done versus just a tip. ( Just the tip lol)

LOL

Will def get the JH16. Thanks!

Get the whole band on ears if you can. Use a split snake. one input - first tail to sound guy and second to your in ear mixer. Like Anthony said - GO STEREO. WAY BETTER!

However if it were just me using ears. I would have an ambient mic on one side of the stage and another ambient by me. I would be able to feel the bass and pick it up through the ambients. Especially if everyone else has stage monitors. The Ambients will pick up vocals then too..We have two ambient mics with our in ear system and I love them. It makes you feel like you aren't using ears, less isolated.

I don't know much about mic phase issues, but if I put two ambient mics on either side of the stage, will it interfere with the mics from the drums (or any other mics, like sometimes they mic the bass cab).

Thanks again!

You should ask the monitor mixer to send you a "minus-me" mix - two channels (L & R) if possible. Split your Axe-Fx outputs, send one pair (L & R) to Monitor World and FOH, and the other pair to your Rolls mixer. Set levels to taste on the Rolls mixer between the "me" inputs (Axe-Fx) and the "minus-me" (rest of the band) inputs.

I run my axe in stereo In my ears only. Sounds huge. I pan hard L and R.

Just some info on our rig. We run into a CBI 16 channel xlr splitter. The splitter has two snakes. One to our 16 Allen and Heath mix wiz board and the other to the house. I run my mix into the mains of the board so that I can use the on board eq, panning and faders to control my mix. I'm the only one with a stereo in ear system. Sennheiser ew300iem. Great unit but I do notice a lot of noise and static While I'm not playing. I heard the shure psm900 units were a little better. I may pick up one of those and test the two to see which I like better

I've never tried running separate outputs specifically for my in ear mix. That does seem like a good idea. Dialing in the eq for your ears separately then the foh mix would probably make things sound even better.

Aurisonics makes in-ears primarily for pro musicians. I have their custom AS-2 set and I find them very neutral and "organic". What sets these apart is the use of a single, large, dynamic driver. That driver covers the entire frequency spectrum so there is no cross-over distortion, and the bass is very realistic (but not hyped). Aurisonics complements the dynamic driver with a pair of special balanced armature drivers to extend the high end, although relative little is needed (they are padded back).

If you're still open to other options, these worth serious consideration, IMHO. I've been very pleased, and they are very competitively priced at $799.

AS-2 Digital-Hybrid Custom In-Ear Monitor [AS-2] - $799.00 : Aurisonics Inc., - The Critical Difference

Terry.

Aurisonics makes in-ears primarily for pro musicians. I have their custom AS-2 set and I find them very neutral and "organic". What sets these apart is the use of a single, large, dynamic driver. That driver covers the entire frequency spectrum so there is no cross-over distortion, and the bass is very realistic (but not hyped). Aurisonics complements the dynamic driver with a pair of special balanced armature drivers to extend the high end, although relative little is needed (they are padded back).

If you're still open to other options, these worth serious consideration, IMHO. I've been very pleased, and they are very competitively priced at $799.

AS-2 Digital-Hybrid Custom In-Ear Monitor [AS-2] - $799.00 : Aurisonics Inc., - The Critical Difference

Terry.

Thanks for the link.

Do you have the ambient option and did you change the bass port or keep them stock.

I really like their story. Especially about body heat activated seal and being resistent to sweat.

Thanks for the link.

Do you have the ambient option and did you change the bass port or keep them stock.

I really like their story. Especially about body heat activated seal and being resistent to sweat.

I have the ambient option but I'm finding that I prefer all the isolation I can get. Even with the customs I still like to wear 28dB ear muffs over top to eliminate stage noise. When I'm walking to/from work however, I can set the level when I leave the house and it's fine. With my old universals I had to turn up to compensate for the noise outside and from walking.

I've played with the bass port and have them dialed in. I had some trouble initially getting them correctly inserted (I have unusual ears) and I ended up fiddling with the bass port. I didn't realize at the time that the hyped low end was simply an insertion issue. Once I got that sorted out I was amazed at how realistic everything sounded. I've started listening to older material again just to enjoy the sounds. Sadly, I can now hear how much my room is hyping the upper mids in my studio monitors. I need some room treatment!

Yes, they seal nicely.

Terry.

I have the ambient option but I'm finding that I prefer all the isolation I can get. Even with the customs I still like to wear 28dB ear muffs over top to eliminate stage noise. When I'm walking to/from work however, I can set the level when I leave the house and it's fine. With my old universals I had to turn up to compensate for the noise outside and from walking.

I've played with the bass port and have them dialed in. I had some trouble initially getting them correctly inserted (I have unusual ears) and I ended up fiddling with the bass port. I didn't realize at the time that the hyped low end was simply an insertion issue. Once I got that sorted out I was amazed at how realistic everything sounded. I've started listening to older material again just to enjoy the sounds. Sadly, I can now hear how much my room is hyping the upper mids in my studio monitors. I need some room treatment!

Yes, they seal nicely.

Terry.

Thanks for the followup Terry.

I like ambience only when I'm singing. It's 99% backgrounds for me when I do sing and I get that stuffed up ear sensation when I sing as described in the web link you posted.

I have been using Ultimate Ear 18s with ambient ports now for almost 3 years with a PSM-900 system and have been extremely pleased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What kind of ambient mics are you using?

I had ambient inears but felt that it somewhat killed the low end and fullness of my overall mix. Especially my guitar tone. In my opinion The isolation is what gives you a solid mix. Ambient mics are the best option for this since its adjustable. Tuneable ambient in ear vents sound cool. Like an on board ambient mic.
If you ask companies like Jh and Ue they recommend ambient vents if you're a guitar player.

My old band (I'm current between bands.. long story) had a different approach. 6-piece band, where 1/2 went IEM, 1/2 didn't. Those that didn't, didn't want to spend the $$.
Have a Presonuse 16-ch mixer, that sends direct out to Behringer Powerplay P-16I (like Aviom sending unit). Have 250' roll of CAT5 that connects to one out of the P16I and runs to stage. It goes into the first P16-M (monitor station) and daisy chains CAT5 to other P16M's.
Power is supplied by CAT5 to first in chain, others need to use power adapters.
One can go direct out of the P16M into IEM's (if for example you are the drummer) or if [like me] you run full wireless, out to a wireless sending unit. We each had full control of 16-channels of mix, no interference or setup (beyond 2 cables) by FOH. And CHEAP, compared to the Aviom or Hearback systems.
My IEM's are currently Westone UM-1's and I was about to go with 1964 Ears when my band income got cut, and I had to rethink things..
see here for more details. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/60484-best-custom-iems-live-use.html

No matter which way you go.. expect to spend some $$ for quality IEM's.

Back
Top Bottom