In case you have seen this yet

Interviewer: ”What do you want people to take away from this?“

BD: “We really want people to spend more time with robots.”

That’s hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

follow the $$$

then Add in human psychology of not wanting to raise your head above the herd your fear of being lopped off ... that’s today’s “science”

Just a bunch of group-think people vying for the next research grant.
I wouldn’t quite use such a broad brush. It’s only the issues that help the ruling elite to achieve its aims that are politicized. So scientists themselves are, ironically, “useful idiots” in these situations, not drivers. Withhold a grant, or threaten them with ostracism, and they’ll produce whatever it is they have to produce to get it, even if it’s bullshit. It’s not a coincidence that most of the stuff you’ll find in scientific papers is not reproducible.

This is not a new phenomenon: the guy who got a Nobel Prize for figuring out what really causes stomach ulcers was treated like that. Had he not peresevered, we’d still be cutting people up to fix something that’s easily fixed by antibiotics.

I wouldn’t quite use such a broad brush. It’s only the issues that help the ruling elite to achieve its aims that are politicized. So scientists themselves are, ironically, “useful idiots” in these situations, not drivers. Withhold a grant, or threaten them with ostracism, and they’ll produce whatever it is they have to produce to get it, even if it’s bullshit. It’s not a coincidence that most of the stuff you’ll find in scientific papers is not reproducible.

This is not a new phenomenon: the guy who got a Nobel Prize for figuring out what really causes stomach ulcers was treated like that. Had he not peresevered, we’d still be cutting people up to fix something that’s easily fixed by antibiotics.

We may not be on the same page, but I think we’re in the same book. 👍

Knowing what I know about code security, backdoors companies leave in, and the complete failure of the govt to ensure anyone's privacy, I think it would be a long time before I'd want to have a robot around the house. Not that it matters in the grand scheme, but I don't litter my house with Google Nest, Amazon Echos, or any of that other stuff either.

Come to think of it, I should have chucked my Google Home Mini into trash long time ago. It’s pretty useless anyway, and in terms of AI it’s on the leading edge of what’s doable today, so everything else is even more useless.

I'd love to have some verbal automation at my house, but until I can get something standalone, it's never going to happen. Since the current model of all things seems to be making the users the product instead of just selling a product, I doubt it will ever happen.

I actually work in this field, and other than for data mining, there’s no reason to do voice commands through the cloud today. Sub-$10 ARM CPUs are more than capable of processing them locally.

I actually work in this field, and other than for data mining, there’s no reason to do voice commands through the cloud today. Sub-$10 ARM CPUs are more than capable of processing them locally.

But you can't buy one off the shelf. There was a company stringing people along for a while that was supposed to be an open platform for voice commands like this, but then they ended up going to the cloud as well. I'm sure it had plenty to do with VCs wondering why they weren't monetizing their users.

Cloud basically means you’re either buying a subscription, or they’re selling your attention through ads, or even both. With a standalone device, there’s really no way to charge you more than once reliably. I’ll tell you more, there’s really no reason for surveillance cameras to do person recognition through cloud either. It can be done directly on device as well. But then they can’t shut you out if you stop paying a subscription fee, which they see as a grave injustice.

I wonder how much autonomy there is in this arm. Grasping, and particularly grasping deformable objects is a ridiculously difficult problem. Humans think nothing of it though, since for us it’s completely natural.

You know how to make me smile after a hard day at work:D. And people still state that robots are soulless creatures? Just look at these ones. If I had a lot of money, I would buy this one to dance with me. Recently we got a few high-resolution photos from Mars. Imagine if NASA sent us a video of a similar robot dancing on Mars:tearsofjoy:. Who knows, perhaps, we ourselves will soon dance in the Mars colony.

Back
Top Bottom