In case you have seen this yet

One more dead giveaway that this is CGI 1:46 upper left corner. The infamous Corridor Crew hockey stick.
We've been punked.

Last edited:
I wonder how many hours it took to develop the program and successfully get just one of those dancing robots working as expected?

One more dead giveaway that this is CGI 1:46 upper left corner. The infamous Corridor Crew hockey stick.
We've been punked.
They use the hockey stick in their other videos to push the robots to test their balance and push the boxes they’re trying to pick up.

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”. — Arthur C. Clarke

If you mean the 10 years where CGI, photoshop and easily manipulated video / audio is almost mainstream, well, I guess I have! But yeah, I agree there’s no way it’s edited because some dude with a fake name on the internets said so... 😎

Bet you believe the earth is flat too.

In the Boston video, look how the robots interact with the environment: correct shadows and reflections on the shiny mat; you can see the mat give under the weight of the feet and wheels at times and then relax back into shape afterwards. You see the reflection of the first robot on the big plate glass window. Now compare this to the Corridor guys' fakery: there's little evidence of light interaction from the robot on to the environment other than the shadow of the original guy doing the mocap. As it's balancing on the boxes, look where the feet meet the boxes: there's no contact shadow at all. Similarly, other than the precomputed light being used to illuminate the robot, we see little/no dynamic light from the environment back on to the robot: they throw all these boxes at the robot but never do we see any shadows or reflections of the boxes on its shiny surfaces.

In the Boston video, look how the robots interact with the environment: correct shadows and reflections on the shiny mat; you can see the mat give under the weight of the feet and wheels at times and then relax back into shape afterwards. You see the reflection of the first robot on the big plate glass window. Now compare this to the Corridor guys' fakery: there's little evidence of light interaction from the robot on to the environment other than the shadow of the original guy doing the mocap. As it's balancing on the boxes, look where the feet meet the boxes: there's no contact shadow at all. Similarly, other than the precomputed light being used to illuminate the robot, we see little/no dynamic light from the environment back on to the robot: they throw all these boxes at the robot but never do we see any shadows or reflections of the boxes on its shiny surfaces.

That's the thing about CGI. As you pointed out, it does so much really, really, really well. Like our beloved AXE FX, it wouldn't exist if it weren't so believable. However, I see flaws and inconsistencies in some of the exact things that you pointed out as being the proof that it's real: the opacity in the glass looking outside appear to have elements of global illumination, the two high tension electric poles are overly distorted in some frames which indicates layering, the too perfect lighting indicates something like VRAY was used - but especially the footfalls on the mats and the tiny glimpses of the motion capture of the robots where there doesn't seem to be a mechanical joint.

If this was a competition of pointing out what is right vs what is suspect, right absolutely dominates. I concede that there is so much right about this it's uncanny. But, when you can find just one or two elements that aren't right, it's probably due to layering, editing, video compression, rendering, video plugins - the elements of CGI. But certainly, most of those can also be blamed on the overuse of Final Cut video filters or a plugin like VRAY. Keep in mind that the software needed to do CGI is as attainable and as affordable as a lot of audio plugins or amplifier modeling computers.

Anyway, this same discussion is everywhere on the internet. It's interesting. It's even more interesting that one or two participants on this forum, where we are so invested in the realism of audio modeling, find the suggestion that this video might be CGI so offensive that they're making personal attacks.

In the end, we may never know the truth and that is fine. It doesn't matter. We have seen enough evidence that the robots could easily do this if they were so programmed. After reading interviews with Boston Dynamic's CEO regarding their current mission and the fact that they're not yet profitable, I have a hard time imagining BD wasting engineering brainpower do to do a viral video when there are probably a half dozen companies within a 20 miles radius that could do a decent job with CGI at a fraction of the cost.

Happy New Year!

You agree the robots could do this, but think instead Boston Dynamics hired a vf x shop to mock it up? Why would they? If it became obvious that it was a mock-up it would harm the company's reputation. And no, there are no half a dozen companies in a 20 mile radius that could fake it convincingly. Probably a handful in the world, and they're not cheap. I've already pointed out some really obvious flaws in the Corridor stuff - no vfx supervisor would let that work pass in a modern movie. As for the cheapness of CGI software: it's really about finding artists with sufficient skill and training to get the most out of it, plus the time to iterate on the work until it passes muster, plus the huge amount of compute power needed to render the frames quickly enough so that the artists can do this iterations. At which point you need a licence for each rendering instance running on the compute farm.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here :). Anyway, happy new year to you too!

Two of the most renowned VFX shops in the world are within a 15 minute drive - Brickyard and ZERO. Throw in the shops with TV and blockbuster movie credentials in the NYC and PHI area and you’re well over a half dozen. With the US film industry all but shut down, I imagine there are a lot of VFX artists aggressively reaching out to produce whatever they can.

I also wouldn’t view a CGI video as damaging the BD brand - and it could turn out that there’s a mix of live video with enhanced CGI, as would be expected in any CGI film. If the goal is to make a viral video, then make the best you can! CGI would certainly help.

I’m certainly not an expert in CGI or video production. I can barely get a video out of Final Cut. But, I see what I see. Regardless of which technologies are real and which are an illusion, it’s pretty mind-blowing. If you look at the work of some of these VFX companies, you start to realize how much of what we see in TV, commercials, streaming, film is CGI. I think we’d all be surprised that even some of the most mundane scenes are not real.
Just for fun, here’s a video from Boston based Zero VFX on their work on Little Women.

Last edited:
When I think of world-renowned vfx studios, In think of Industrial Light And Magic, Weta Digital, Moving Picture Company and Double Negative. It's true that smaller shops will take up the slack and work on simpler shots, but these are the big hitters.

I'm not an artist, I don't have an artist's eye, and so details might elude me. But I am a senior engineer working on one of the most widely used renderers in the industry. This is our 2020 show reel:

Last edited:
When I think of world-renowned vex studios, In think of Industrial Light And Magic, Weta Digital, Moving Picture Company and Double Negative. It's true that smaller shops will take up the slack and work on simpler shots, but these are the big hitters.

I'm not an artist, I don't have an artist's eye, and so details might elude me. But I am a senior engineer working on one of the most widely used renderers in the industry. This is our 2020 show reel:

That’s amazing! TBH, I thought your show reel was more convincing than BD’s. LOL. Now, I don’t know what to believe! 🤪

I bet there will be a behind the scenes on the “Do You Love Me“ video released within a few weeks. Until then, this discussion is ongoing in a lot of forums and comment sections.

When I think of world-renowned vex studios, In think of Industrial Light And Magic, Weta Digital, Moving Picture Company and Double Negative. It's true that smaller shops will take up the slack and work on simpler shots, but these are the big hitters.

Much respect!

FYI - articles in the press are so full of shit usually, they’re not worth reading. This is true of most topics, but the problem is especially rampant in “harder” tech. My work was written about twice, once by NYT, once by TechCrunch. In both cases what ended up getting published bore so little resemblance to reality, it was embarrassing. And it’s pointless to request a retraction because nobody reads them. TechCrunch in particular should know better. The reason why people have any trust in the press at all (or had before 2016 when all propaganda and narrative peddling was laid bare) is called Gell-Mann amnesia. To see it in action read an article about events you were a part of, or about something in which you’re an expert. It’ll almost always be total horseshit. What doesn’t usually “click” in people’s heads is that all other articles are horseshit as well.

Dr. Michael Crichton MD… (Yes that Michael Crichton who also wrote ER and Jurassic Park plus more.) He gave a series of seminars in ~2000 on various topics. One of my favorites was this specific issue/topic.

He summarized by saying that a person would read a paragraph on one page of the newspaper understanding the topic deeply, and knowing that not only did the journalist get it wrong - but got it exactly wrong. However the reader would then turn the page and credibly believe everything else he read.

AndyOrr, I think it's time you stopped digging your hole before you blow the cover on the Moon landings. :)

AndyOrr, I think it's time you stopped digging your hole before you blow the cover on the Moon landings. :)

Either Spot is a little less fluid in his // her motion than the other videos or there's a stop motion edit at :57 Watch the rear legs.
Now, let's talk about those shadows on the moon... :)

The moon landing?

This is a picture of Leon Vitali, Stanley Kubrick’s long time assistant, and myself at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado - the hotel that inspired “The Shining”. I attended a film festival with Leon in 2015. I’ll reveal what he told me about the moon landing on my death bed... 😜🌗🌘🌙😎

Attachments

• B865490B-36A4-43A4-8A97-BBECD8F1CF94.jpeg
    B865490B-36A4-43A4-8A97-BBECD8F1CF94.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom