In case you have seen this yet

Wow that's freaking amazing ,until they start thinking for them self and take over the world. yea maybe I've seen to many syfi movies

Does anyone know if each robot is autonomous or whether they are communicating with one another to coordinate movements? Either way, as impressive as the movement of the robots is, the programming and the timing that went into this ‘production’ is remarkable.

Does anyone know if each robot is autonomous or whether they are communicating with one another to coordinate movements? Either way, as impressive as the movement of the robots is, the programming and the timing that went into this ‘production’ is remarkable.
They’re using motion capture suits to mirror human movement in this case.

They’re using motion capture suits to mirror human movement in this case.
If they did use it, they likely only used it partially/loosely, since unlike CGI the real world is subject to physics, and robots have to maintain their own balance. Besides, how do you even motion capture the dog or that two-wheeled thing?

...Besides, how do you even motion capture the dog or that two-wheeled thing?
I was thinking the same thing. The two-wheeled thing has funky enough moves on its own. It's an autonomous pallet loader/unloader that's a trip to watch.

FYI - articles in the press are so full of shit usually, they’re not worth reading. This is true of most topics, but the problem is especially rampant in “harder” tech. My work was written about twice, once by NYT, once by TechCrunch. In both cases what ended up getting published bore so little resemblance to reality, it was embarrassing. And it’s pointless to request a retraction because nobody reads them. TechCrunch in particular should know better. The reason why people have any trust in the press at all (or had before 2016 when all propaganda and narrative peddling was laid bare) is called Gell-Mann amnesia. To see it in action read an article about events you were a part of, or about something in which you’re an expert. It’ll almost always be total horseshit. What doesn’t usually “click” in people’s heads is that all other articles are horseshit as well.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
You and Ken Jennings!

If this doesn’t creep you out enough watch Black Mirror episode Metalhead.
Producers definitely saw Boston Dynamics Spot. The doganoid creeps me out more than the humanoid .

Nope, not CGI. You can buy the dog even: $75K.

There's no confirmation other than Elon Musk saying it’s not CGI and we all know that he’s famously wisecracked on speculative tech before. I’m not convinced. If it’s not CGI, it has all the signs of being enhanced, sped up and edited - look at the lighting, the reflections, the floor, the fluid movement of joints where it appears there aren’t any - it’s too perfect. Boston Dynamics was just acquired by Hyundai (its fourth owner) three weeks ago. Perhaps, it’s a promotional video to drum up interest and investment.
I guess time will tell.

Well its like this, There is a McDonalds in a town next to mine and you know how many people work there? 2 thats it. Everything there is automated .

There's no confirmation other than Elon Musk saying it’s not CGI and we all know that he’s famously wisecracked on speculative tech before. I’m not convinced. If it’s not CGI, it has all the signs of being enhanced, sped up and edited - look at the lighting, the reflections, the floor, the fluid movement of joints where it appears there aren’t any - it’s too perfect. Boston Dynamics was just acquired by Hyundai (its fourth owner) three weeks ago. Perhaps, it’s a promotional video to drum up interest and investment.
I guess time will tell.
They have more videos of Atlas and their other robots running, jumping, and doing backflips. Compared to that, this video is pretty pedestrian. I don't see why Boston Dynamics, which has world class robotics expertise and does not have world class CGI expertise would put out a fake video when it has robots more than capable of executing a real one.

Well its like this, There is a McDonalds in a town next to mine and you know how many people work there? 2 thats it. Everything there is automated .
I think I'll see fully robotic McDonalds restaurants in my lifetime. They could actually do it now - the tech exists, but minimum wage being low, humans are still cost-effective. As the min wage creeps up, I fully expect McD's to drop the remaining humans like a hot potato.

I think I'll see fully robotic McDonalds restaurants in my lifetime. They could actually do it now - the tech exists, but minimum wage being low, humans are still cost-effective. As the min wage creeps up, I fully expect McD's to drop the remaining humans like a hot potato.
I agree

I guess time will tell.

I guess you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years.

I guess you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years.

If you mean the 10 years where CGI, photoshop and easily manipulated video / audio is almost mainstream, well, I guess I have! But yeah, I agree there’s no way it’s edited because some dude with a fake name on the internets said so... 😎

They have more videos of Atlas and their other robots running, jumping, and doing backflips. Compared to that, this video is pretty pedestrian. I don't see why Boston Dynamics, which has world class robotics expertise and does not have world class CGI expertise would put out a fake video when it has robots more than capable of executing a real one.

Head of Marketing: “How much engineering time would it take to put together a choreographed dance video with the robots?”

Head of Engineering: “All four robots? I dunno. Maybe a month? It’s not really our objective for design... Those Corridor guys had some fun with CGI and green screen. Give them a call.“

Corridor Guys On Youtube: “This is so much better than CGI!” 😜

Of course, I’ve seen what the robots can do but I still don’t think they did this. There are a lot of clues. The first one is the red marker tape on the floor. Watch how it distorts and bends... My list of CGI giveaways goes on from there. I’ll spare you.

Alas, I’m no expert. I could be wrong. Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom