In Case Anyone Doesn't Know The Beatles Were Songwriting Geniuses...

I think he botched those voicings by not realizing a piano was mixed into those tracks.

I'm pretty sure guitars both play Fadd9: xx3213 (Harrison, 12-string) and 103213 (Lennon w/ thumb on low F), bass plays D, piano plays G-D just above that. There could be some more piano notes but I don't really hear any.

Harrison described his chord as F with a G note on top and there's a good view of Lennon here:

Bachman’s recreation sounds pretty cool but I wish we knew what George Martin was playing on piano.

...just watch this video (turn the sound on; it's audio only)

Isn't that amazing?
Yes it is, and they were indeed geniuses as musicians and songwriters. When you consider the times in which the music was created… the music of the day, the gear used, and how impressive it all is nearing a half century later, it is hard to overstate how creative and talented they really were. The right people coming together at the right time; it was a “perfect storm” in music.

I play it on acoustic as 100213
Musically, D7sus4 would have been a vanilla choice, and you can see that that's where it started.
It's the Fs and Gs "thrown in there" that make it so unique. Probably happy accidents.

Back
Top Bottom