In-Cab Speaker Wire & Wiring

OmegaZero

Inspired
I know there are a lot of generally knowledgeable folks here, and I'm assuming at least a few have built cabs. I need to re-wire a speaker cab (2x12 with V30s) - wondering what speaker wire would be best. I don't need anything fancy, but I want to at least use something decent. The existing wire can't be re-used for several reasons. Any recommendations on what I should get? Seems like a pretty straight-forward task. Any gotchas to look out for?

I guess I should clarify - I'm not looking for platinum-plated "electron aligned" cable BS. I've never bought wire for inside a cab before though, so I have no idea what to buy. I'm assuming any 14AWG oxygen-free cable will work? I find stranded easier to solder than solid, so I was going with that unless someone has a recommendation otherwise. Maybe something like this?

Also, the wiring itself seems easy enough. It's a switchless mono-stereo jack, and I know I need to get he connections right. Parallel for mono (preferably in-phase :p), straight through for stereo. Other than not dropping solder on the speakers and/or burning anything, any issues to watch out for?

Last edited:
If you are handy with a soldering iron/gun you will be fine. As to what speaker to use is up to you... Personally I like straight up V30's but it's going to be what you like! so in my mind, asking for recommendations is asking for a headache there are so many options.

14AWG Ox free wire is fine, wiring in stereo/mono is a good idea just to have the option should you decide to sell the cab.

The only other thing I can think of that would be of concern would be the impedance you are going to wire the cab at. A pair of 8 ohm speakers will be 4 Ohms in mono wired in Parallel. If you run a pair of 16's in stereo would be 8 in mono parallel.

Based on my [limited] experience, standard but 18-16 ga for tweeters and 16-14 for anything else is plenty. If you want serious overkill, 12 ga.
The distance is usually not more than 18" internally, and as long as you clamp the correct fittings on the speaker end and wire them in series/parallel (to get the impedance you want) then you should be fine.

Thanks all. I'm using the 16Ohm V30s, so I'll have 2x16Ohm stereo or 1x8Ohm mono (parallel). Should fit nicely with my GT1000, and I can add another 2x12 later if I need to move more air.

Right there with you vick1000 - was definitely planning to solder everything inside the cab.

Back
Top Bottom