In between BPM's? i.e. 120.3 bpm?

Trashface

I have a few songs that use weird tempos.

Obviously, if I have a song at 100.5 bpm, I can use 201 bpm. But the in betweens don't work and it can be annoying trying to figure out how to tempo lock effects.

Any work around? Or a feature that could come in the future?

Thanks!

You could use 361 and set for triplets. That'd be weird though and I don't know if you can even enter such a fast tempo. Why so specific?

It forces me to write differently.

I’ve used tempos like 97.7777

But in every professional DAW you can input tempos with up to 4 decimal places.

Logic

Ableton

Pro Tools

etc...

I know it’s weird! But would be great if there was an option on axe fx to have more decimal places if needed. I'd love it locked in exactly as I want to do Program Changes and use midi clock from Ableton Live.

17971_645850847952_4934355_n_zps2nz4mtkr.jpg

Sorry I can't contribute to a work around for achieving such a precise tempo if your other gear won't let you input miliseconds - but as a tangent, can you elaborate on how using 97.7777 forces you to write differently than if you were in 98? I write different kinds of riffs in 125 bpm vs 100 bpm, and there's obviously a threshold at which 1 bpm makes a difference in how something sounds or how cleanly I can play it. But I I'm curious what difference in your writing you perceive with values less than .5 bpm.

Sorry I can't contribute to a work around for achieving such a precise tempo if your other gear won't let you input miliseconds - but as a tangent, can you elaborate on how using 97.7777 forces you to write differently than if you were in 98? I write different kinds of riffs in 125 bpm vs 100 bpm, and there's obviously a threshold at which 1 bpm makes a difference in how something sounds or how cleanly I can play it. But I I'm curious what difference in your writing you perceive with values less than .5 bpm.

Exactly.

I use samplers to make a lot of my music. And when you sample one note and pitch it all over the keyboard instead of having a unique note per key, there can be variations in the sample's timing because of how it is pitched. And the pocket might end up somewhere in between a Bpm. Sometimes stretching it does not work. So I'll just play it where it feels right and then adjust Bpm accordingly.

Same goes for homebrewed drum samples with modulation, that aren't traditional "rock n rock" drums.

It would just be nice to have the axe fx tap tempo locked to whatever Bpm I decide, no matter what.

I don't want to be on a song and look at the axe fx and have it look like (windshield wipers and car blinkers, that slowly line up and then go away again).

Hope that makes sense!

Like I said all the major daws allow for Bpm of 000.0000

I'm double checking my math here.

Relativity says that if you record your song in the International Space Station traveling at 17,500 mph it should slow .1 bpm at 320 bpm. Of course you would never know because your relative clocks also slowed, and I might have dropped a few decimal places.

All in all, I'm in with Nigel on this one!

As a wise man once said...View attachment 29246

Not really. Comes in very handy for U2 songs. I take the MP3 file, dump into Mixmeister BPM analyzer to get the BPM's, then use the delay calculator to calculate the delay time in ms. Then all you need to know is if Edge is using dotted-eighth, which he does for most songs, or a quarter note delay...ie. NYD.

Of course, with the Axe-Fx, you can just use the BPM from the BPM analyzer and then select, dotted-eighth, quarter note etc.

I like to have a synth and/or drums track based on improvised piano. Its freeform and emotional. The point of having decimal, for me, is not to play a U2 song at an exact tempo. (If I was a solo guitar performer or musician DJ I'd use something like Ableton for syncing things to an existing track and change its rate as needed) .

But for me, to follow smooth tempo transitions like my recorded MIDI piano work, makes it nice to use a varying tempo map. Decimal-precise tempos make it not so jumpy sounding.

(Incidentally, did Edge use variations from precise dotted's? There is a web site implying he did, even split with different timings between speakers). I don't know if just using the tempo-delay function gets you all the way there.)

Last edited:
I end up with fraction bpm in my DAW when I am building tempo maps to performances vs. playing to the grid.

I think it sounds more natural. Quantizing everything takes something away from that type of music.

A lot of older music tracked and mixed to tape is not exactly on a BPM either. I was just messing around with Michael Jackson's Beat It. The original is just about exactly 138.5 BPM

And yes a lot of older songs when a drum machine is used with a variable tempo knob fall between a bpm.

I'm saying it would be a nice feature to have the 000.0000 option for bpms.

If I'm in rehearsal or sound check I shouldn't have to break out a calculator and do equations to figure out my delay times.

I know a lot of you don't have a use for this but, some users may require it. Just like I don't have a use for changing the bright cap on amp models. You might though!!!

Back
Top Bottom