Imput levels - Axe FX3, still confused.

danielworks

Inspired
1657774735545.png

I am using my Axe FX3 for 3 months and I still don't know exactly how to set the A/D sensitivity gain and input gain.
I don't really feel how each stage of gain it interferes in my tone.
Input gain at 1 position sounds too hot for my pickups, ok.
A/D sensitivity is another gain setup that doesn't make much sense for me ...
I tried to read the owner manual but didn't find much information about it. Sorry if I sound like a lazy guy, but I am trying to figure it out. Any tip would be greatly appreciated.

don't change Input 1 Gain. leave it at 1.0. this is NOT a level set. it is to compensate slightly when changing guitars, for example from a single coil guitar to a humbucker, and you want a bit more input gain going into all presets.

this is for compensation from time to time, not level set.

Input 1 A/D Sensitivity sets a signal-to-noise ratio. use the Physical Meters on the front panel to know where to set this. you won't really hear any difference changing this, again as it sets a s2n ratio. strum hard and adjust this until strumming hard occasionally makes the Input 1 Physical Meter on the front panel blink red. it should not be constant red. it's ok if you turn it all the way up and you still don't get the red light (mostly for single coil guitars).

I have a core PRS silver sky. I can’t get the levels to even tickle red at all with the input 1 on 100. Anyone else experience something like this?

Once you get a healthy guitar/instrument level into the AFX3 (bouncing the meters green and maybe an occasional red) you’re good to go. Unlike an analog signal chain, digital units are quite forgiving of input level vs noise — you don’t have to go on a “Quest for The Final dB”. Everything you want to do re “pushing the amp” to obtain your sound is done via your preset parameters.

I have a core PRS silver sky. I can’t get the levels to even tickle red at all with the input 1 on 100. Anyone else experience something like this?
yes - my strat with vintagy pups can't tickle the red but
other guitars I have can easily. Set "A/D Sensitivity" to your strongest guitar tickling red and forget it - will still be fine for the PRS unless something is wrong with the guitar - doesn't have any affect on the strength of the signal in the blocks grid (adjust "Input1 Gain" to affect the strength of the signal into the grid (though I prefer to do this, if needed, via Input1 block level, by preset)).

yes - my strat with vintagy pups can't tickle the red but
other guitars I have can easily. Set "A/D Sensitivity" to your strongest guitar tickling red and forget it - will still be fine for the PRS unless something is wrong with the guitar - doesn't have any affect on the strength of the signal in the blocks grid (adjust "Input1 Gain" to affect the strength of the signal into the grid (though I prefer to do this, if needed, via Input1 block level, by preset)).
My PRS CE-24 I had to set between 20 and 30% for a good level

Instrument input 1:
All this control really does is help you minimize the noise floor. For every 1 db you increase to this control, you increase the analog signal from the guitar going into the converters by 1 db… AND you decrease the guitar’s converted digital level by 1 db.

On the opposite side, setting this control to -1 db lowers your analog signal by 1 db, but then raises the digitally converted signal by 1 db internally. This means that

No matter how this control is set, the internal loudness of the guitar going into the grid always stays the same. It’s basically just a headroom control for the input signal. Set it so that your hardest string hit on your loudest pickup barely touches the red on the meter and you are good.

Input 1 Gain:
This is simply a clean boost or cut, applied directly after the digitally converted guitar. It behaves similarly to what a clean boost pedal would do.

Last edited:
I don't agree with this:
don't change Input 1 Gain. leave it at 1.0. this is NOT a level set. it is to compensate slightly when changing guitars,
And Chris knows more about the Fractal gear than I do, and also uses a Majesty, but I find I like that gain on the low end of its range.
The Majesty pickups are somewhat hot, but definitely not the hottest, and as such I notice running that Input Gain level on the low end really helps tame the "fizz" you can get, especially on EOB or clean settings.

I've pulled my hair out over that fizz aspect of the tones, and I now realize it has to do with volume and how you monitor yourself, but I like using headphones at low volumes, which conspire to making it much more noticeable. Switching to the ATH-M50x phones really helped, but still, so does keeping that Gain low. YMMV

I’ve got a Solar A1.6 with DiMarzio D’Activator in the bridge. Barely tickling the red at 100% but still sounds awesome. I would not worry too much about it.

“Tickles the red” seems kind of subjective. I have not touched my input settings and it hits red on certain notes…I assume that’s what that means vs. always in the red…?

Instrument input 1:
All this control really does is help you minimize the noise floor. For every 1 db you increase to this control, you increase the analog signal from the guitar going into the converters by 1 db… AND you decrease the guitar’s converted digital level by 1 db.

On the opposite side, setting this control to -1 db lowers your analog signal by 1 db, but then raises the digitally converted signal by 1 db internally. This means that the loudness of the guitar sent into the grid always stays the same no matter where this dial is set. It’s basically just a headroom control. Set it so that your hardest hit on your loudest pick up barely touches the red on the meter and you are good.

Input 1 Gain:
This is simply a clean boost or cut, applied the digital conversion. It behaves similarly to what a clean boost pedal would do.
Are you referring to the red on the front panel or is there a more in depth meter in the menu somewhere?

“Tickles the red” seems kind of subjective. I have not touched my input settings and it hits red on certain notes…I assume that’s what that means vs. always in the red…?
Yep. You know, tickles. Lol
But seriously, I think you've got it right. However, I agree with the ambiguity of this setting. It seems every few months there's a thread asking about it. I've said before that it would make so much more sense if we just had an LED at the top, that's not supposed to light up. Dial the knob up until it lights, then dial it back until it doesn't.

The red LED means -6 dB, not clipping. So the idea is if you adjust the sensitivity so you're just occasionally hitting the red LED, then you've probably got a nice full range to minimize noise while at the same time you're probably avoiding clipping. It's a challenge to get much information out of a meter with only 4 LED's. It is a bit vague and it would be nice if there was a simple unambiguous clipping indicator like you often find in digital devices. Maybe the next gen Fractal device will have that.

The main reason for the question is people don’t hear any difference with most settings of the Input level. They expect changing it to “do something” but it doesn’t change what they hear.

Even with a distinct clip light, the question will come up because these questions always come up. We’ve even had “my tone is better when it clips, you should do it too” comments. People are always looking for “better tone” and explore every part in case they overlooked something, and Input seems to be a logical place for that.

But this setting is simple and boring: Set the Input Level to where the Input red light on the front panel occasionally turns on.

That’s all there is to it.

Back
Top Bottom