Impulse Response Capture Tutorial video for Axe-FX II Firmware 3.0+

To make an IR of an Acoustic Guitar modeling box (Fishman Aura, etc)

Please tell us what would be done differently to make an IR of an Acoustic Guitar modeling box (Fishman Aura, etc) which doesn't involve mics or cabs?

Thanks!

Please tell us what would be done differently to make an IR of an Acoustic Guitar modeling box (Fishman Aura, etc) which doesn't involve mics or cabs?

Thanks!

You don't need mic or cabs, just plug the fishman into the input and output 2 and run it through the ir capture routine.

Is there a place people have taken their favorite pedals we can't emulate on the Axe FX and made IR's of them public?

IRs are limited in what they can do, apparently more than you think. The only type of pedal this feature could successfully recreate is an EQ.

thanks!
can you tell me how important the mic preamps´ quality is, or could i also do that with my mixing desk and the purpose is simply to achieve a line signal...?
thanks,
rudi

just got an insanely great IR capture of my 2X12 slant Engl cab.

Gear used was an sm57, Universal Audio 2-610 mic pre and RME FF800. I just used my Engl E840 power amp with the presence turned all the way down.

Tried a few different mic positions- 0-2 inches cap edge and 45 deg cap edge.

Wow! That was way easier than I thought it would be. Glad I tried it...:mrgreen

gonna try my avatar 2X12 next...

UPDATE: The Avatar 2X12 came out awesome as well....I must have more cabinets to try this on mmmmmmmmmm......:p

Last edited:
An impulse response captures the frequency response of the system being measured. In this case, the system is "power-amp-> cabinet-> microphone".

I have no idea what "iron color" is. Sounds like marketing mumbo-jumbo to me.

Definitely not marketing mumbo-jumbo. When I was researching mic preamps, I learned that a lot of the classic pres (and modern versions thereof) have a distinctive sound thanks, in large part, to their big, iron transformers. People a lot smarter than I can go on and on about what mic pres with "iron" sound like versus those that don't. So, it was a legitimate question.

The reason I came back to this thread was to research IRs, in case the forthcoming amp matching procedure was similar. If I use a really great mic (or two) with a really great mic pre, I would hope the results would be better than using mediocre equipment--"iron" and all.

Please excuse my late bump and ignorance (i'm new here! :) i'm literally 30 minutes away from buying! SO EXCITED!) anyway, but does this IR capture tell the axe fx how to get the correct tone to come out of your cab? Or what does this do? I figured the tones you create on the computer would come out and sound different through different cabs correct? Is this IR capture the way to tell the axe fx how to process the tones and frequencies to ensure the patch sounds just like it does on the computer through your cab speakers?

Please excuse my late bump and ignorance (i'm new here! :) i'm literally 30 minutes away from buying! SO EXCITED!) anyway, but does this IR capture tell the axe fx how to get the correct tone to come out of your cab? Or what does this do? I figured the tones you create on the computer would come out and sound different through different cabs correct? Is this IR capture the way to tell the axe fx how to process the tones and frequencies to ensure the patch sounds just like it does on the computer through your cab speakers?

An IR is an Impulse Response, which is a simulation of how a Guitar speaker cab responds. e.g. a Marshall 4 * 12 will sound different to a vintage 1 * 12 cab with whatever sets of speakers are in them. The Axe FX already comes with a lot of IRs or Cab simulations. Or you can buy others from Redwirez or Ownhammer and load them into the user Cabs. What this video is showing is how to capture an Impulse Response of a cab you already own in order to model it. If you are then playing through a Full Range Flat Response system, the IRs or Cab sims, give the colour of the traditional cabs that the selected IR is modelling. Hope this helps.

It definitely does. I'm learning lots :) Which leads me to kinda of back up my question. If I was to IR capture my cab, then used it as the cab model on my axe fx, then build my tone with that capture on Axe-edit. Would I be able to take it back to my real cab, then just turn of the cab model and have my real cab take over to achieve the same sound I created on axe edit? Essentially replacing the IR capture of my cab with my real cab to use for live? I hope this makes sense. If it wouldn't work then it was just a thought I had :p Thanks again for the info.

If you were running into a real cab, you wouldnt use an IR as the speaker already has the characteristics itself.

You would use an IR when running into an FRFR system to provide a model of the cab to colour the sound with the characteristics of the cab which is modelled.

If you meant you used an IR of your cab, when running say into studio monitors and created a preset, could you then take that preset to live rig use with the IR disabled and achieve a similar result basically yes.

However next thing for you to research now is the Fletcher Munson curve.

Take it easy there is a lot to learn.

If you meant you used an IR of your cab, when running say into studio monitors and created a preset, could you then take that preset to live rig use with the IR disabled and achieve a similar result basically yes.
Yes this is exactly what I meant. Very awesome I cant wait to try it. I've made models before then took it to the cab and had it sound way different. Good to know its going to probably work :)
I only Asked this cause my cabs stay at the studio band shed while this Axe fx will be staying with me. It would be nice to be able to IR my cab and be able to still create tones on my monitors that I could easily take back to my cabs later. You know? :)

Take it easy there is a lot to learn.
I cant take it easy when you just gave me my next couple hours of research! hahaha "the Fletcher Munson curve"

I just finished learning about the CFR12's I need to get with the setup i just bought. I just got the Axe FX2 with the Matrix GT1000FX power amp :p

Thanks again for the help

I made a batch of IR's for the first time earlier, but (in hindsight) I only had the input tickling 2nd green. Came out quite nice though, if a bit lacking in the bass- this was from a combo though so probably to be expected. I take it the IR algorithm normalises all the impulses upon saving anyway, so it's not very likely that things would improve if they were done again?

Yes, the IR algorithm does normalize the impulses.

Ideal input level means you'll get ideal signal to noise ratio. The accuracy of the bass frequencies however are the most likely to be affected by lower input level as the coefficients for the low-end are the most "sensitive" so to speak.

One thing I forgot to mention in the video is input modes should both be set to Left Only for best input level results.

I all... I'm thinking to a great gift for the Axe Fx community
I'm the proud owner of a HIWATT SA212 Custom 50 half open combo loaded with 2 great Fane (ultraviolet!!!) speakers and I'm thinking about IR it whit some mics (SM 57, R0de, AT4040, AKG C1000) in many distance, positions and mix flavours through a great RME FireFace 800 audio interface with crystal clear mics preamps and A/D D/A converters.
Do you like it? Think YEAAHHH :encouragement:
BUT before starting this proj... i NEED to know just 1 thing:
ya know... HIWATT so... no loop... no send/return... no nothing!!!
just normal/bright hi/lo (or two of the 4 holes bridged) guitar inputs ... and tubes ... and Partridge... and point2point milspec soldering!!!
Ok... what kind of impedance is the out of the AXEFXII?...
I think is a line-level output
But the HIWATT have only a guitar/Hi-z input.... so... can the non-matched impedance link be a prob for the IR capture?
Gimme a bump about that... and then I start IRing!!!
Cya

Back
Top Bottom