Wish Improved rotary block

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
A few days ago I was digging thru the release notes of all firmwares, and noticed that pretty much every effect has received at least one major update since the axe fx III came out.
All except the rotary block.

Don't get me wrong, it's already excellent at recreating a classic leslie sound, but what I think is missing is a bit of versatility and/or some additional models.
Just adding a few parameters to tweak the sound might be a huge advancement in that regard and we might be able to simulate some other rotating speakers design.
For example:

• selector for number of rotating speakers
  • low and high cut for every rotating speaker to set their bandwidth/frequency response (instead of a fixed crossover point as we have now)
  • vertical/horizontal rotation switch for each speaker (or alternatively independent width and pan controls)
  • independent speed and acceleration controls/multipliers
  • brake switch

Maybe having additional models would be easier and more immediate, but with these parameters we could already "build" virtual recreations of something like a fender vibratone, yamaha ra-200, maestro rover, doppolas, etc..

A few years ago I had already posted a wish about this in the axe fx II wish section, but it seems that's gone now.

Last edited:
not trying to de-rail, but can someone reference me some songs that uses rotary "tastefully"?

i see threads about rotary pretty frequently, but to me it has always felt like an extremely "over the top" effect. even the factory presets that use rotary are borderline obnoxious sounding to me. i know effects can be subjective, but I wonder if i'm missing something or if it just isn't my thing

not trying to de-rail, but can someone reference me some songs that uses rotary "tastefully"?

i see threads about rotary pretty frequently, but to me it has always felt like an extremely "over the top" effect. even the factory presets that use rotary are borderline obnoxious sounding to me. i know effects can be subjective, but I wonder if i'm missing something or if it just isn't my thing
Really? You didn't search to find out for yourself?

Let's start with Frampton using it on his guitar…

And move on to Cream's song Badge during the solo…

And move on to some Jimi…

Then there's…

And The Beatles Abbey Road album is full of it. Listen to the guitar part on "Something" in the left channel…

Last edited:

Try playing with the mix. Quite often rotary and dry are mixed in studio tracks and used alongside a dry amp in live performance....

+1, BTW. I sprinkle this on most everything. More flavors (Vibratone, Doppola, MotionSound, etc.) would always be welcome....

+1, BTW. I sprinkle this on most everything. More flavors (Vibratone, Doppola, MotionSound, etc.) would always be welcome....

Agree

I don’t like the real Leslie sound except on organ, but a Vibratone, Doppola etc would be nice for some of the SRV, Pulse era Gilmour etc.

Heck, my fav “leslie” pedal was always the boss rt20, which was always the “worst” at sounding like a Leslie but sounded awesome for Gilmour stuff lol

Listen to Frampton Comes Alive which has rotary all over it - iconic rotary tones - the rotary'd leads on there are anything but over the top / obnoxious.

Outro solo in this Charater Zero

Trey kicks it in on a slow speed around the 4:10 mark while still using the wah.

I was actually coming here to post this exact request. I just bought the axe 3 after selling one a while back…and I’m just blown away by it again. But the rotary…is bad. It’s the absolute weakest link in an otherwise spectacular piece of gear. I still think Strymon Mobius/Lex is one of the better emus and the rotary block is not even close. Not trying to be critical because I’m amazed at how much value and quality is in this box. But it needs to be said.

I was actually coming here to post this exact request. I just bought the axe 3 after selling one a while back…and I’m just blown away by it again. But the rotary…is bad. It’s the absolute weakest link in an otherwise spectacular piece of gear. I still think Strymon Mobius/Lex is one of the better emus and the rotary block is not even close. Not trying to be critical because I’m amazed at how much value and quality is in this box. But it needs to be said.
Curious - what do you find bad about it?

Back
Top Bottom