Importing Raw Wave-formats with Cab-Manager to Axe-Fx III

Se7en

Inspired
I usually only use the syx or ir because I never know what file to pick.
There are a lot of different wave-formats from vendors Cab-pack.
Which one do you prefer?

Sample rates
44,1kHz, 48kHz, 88,2kHz, 96kHz

Length
200ms, 500ms

Resolution
16bit, 24bit

Other
Non-Minimum Phase vs Minimum Phase Transformed, Truncated, Stereo vs Mono

The box is internally locked at 48k, so anything you feed it that's not 48k will get up-sampled or down-sampled to 48k. I would imagine if FAS's conversion process is like anything else FAS does, it will be in some way "one better" than the leading conversion process, but I haven't done a comparison myself between [loading a OH 48k wav, vs. converting the same OH 96k wav on the way in.] If it's just sample rate conversion I bet it would be hard to tell a difference.

Use 24 bit wherever possible, there's a lot more information in 24 bits and the AFX will for sure use it all.

I haven't done comparisons between 500ms vs 200ms import yet, the AFX3 will truncate all down to ultra res 170ms, so I don't imagine that would make a difference either.

All that said, I'm about to get beaten down for giving advice on stuff I haven't done yet, so I can say with certainty that 96k 24 bit 500ms wav files imported with axe manage cabs, while taking forever to process 1000 at a time, sound amazing once they get loaded up. Next run I'll try the same with 48k, and see if it takes less time to import, and see if there is an audible difference between FAS's down-sampling vs. OH's provided 48k.

just tried it (48k OH library files vs Axe Edit 96k import conversion)...i can confirm with certainty that there is a drastic difference between importing OH 48k 24 bit files and importing OH 96k 24 bit files. Whatever the FAS conversion process does to 96k files on the way in, the end result is astoundingly different, better (converting the 96k files), incredible sounding. Like "comparing Guitar Rig cabs to Ultra Res" difference.

just tried it (48k OH library files vs Axe Edit 96k import conversion)...i can confirm with certainty that there is a drastic difference between importing OH 48k 24 bit files and importing OH 96k 24 bit files. Whatever the FAS conversion process does to 96k files on the way in, the end result is astoundingly different, better (converting the 96k files), incredible sounding. Like "comparing Guitar Rig cabs to Ultra Res" difference.
I just did the same thing with the 3 Sigma acoustic Gibs 45 IR on my FM3. The 96KHz IR sounded better to my ears. Whatever the FM Edit does in converting to 48KHz seems to be doing a better job than directly importing the purchased 48 KHz IR.

FWIW (zilch) I've always used the vendor's files intended for the divice I'm using.

@York Audio, do you buy this theory, that having the Fractal editor do the conversion gives a better result?

FWIW (zilch) I've always used the vendor's files intended for the divice I'm using.

@York Audio, do you buy this theory, that having the Fractal editor do the conversion gives a better result?
I used to import 96k files into the Axe, but lately I’ve been sticking with the 48k files so the Axe doesn’t have to do any extra “work.” In theory, they should sound the same, but I’d rather stay away from unnecessary conversion if I can. Now if I’m using an IR loading plugin... 96k all day long.

I used to import 96k files into the Axe, but lately I’ve been sticking with the 48k files so the Axe doesn’t have to do any extra “work.” In theory, they should sound the same, but I’d rather stay away from unnecessary conversion if I can. Now if I’m using an IR loading plugin... 96k all day long.
Thanks Justin.

Isn't the "extra work" done just once, when you import, no effect on real-time performance?

Do you record at 96 or 48?
If 48, then there shouldn't be any conversion either way.
If 96, then the conversion has to happen either way, the question is whether the process you use sounds any different that the one Fractal uses.

Thanks Justin.

Isn't the "extra work" done just once, when you import, no effect on real-time performance?

Do you record at 96 or 48?
If 48, then there shouldn't be any conversion either way.
If 96, then the conversion has to happen either way, the question is whether the process you use sounds any different that the one Fractal uses.
You can try it and see if you hear a difference. Import the same IR in 96k and 48k and see if you hear a difference.

You can try it and see if you hear a difference. Import the same IR in 96k and 48k and see if you hear a difference.
Hey, Justin! I noticed in the Axe Edit, there is a section under "Preferences > Cabinet Import" that gives you the option for IR Processing: "Min Phase", "Trim", or "None". I believe at factory it was set to "Min Phase". Do you mess with that at all?

Back
Top Bottom