Importing Fm 3 patches into Axe FX III mk 2

johnnyspys

Inspired
I had the opportunity to upgrade my FM3 to an Axe FX III mk 2. I backed up my FM3 presets using fractool not as single presets but as blocks using fractool (all of them into one file). When I get the new axe fx do I use import from the Axe Fx edit software or is it best to import using fractool? Is it as easy as when I restored my FM3 presets when I updated my FM3 firmware? I looked at the manuals and the forums and everyone says it can be done and its easy but I have not specifically seen any documentation on the best steps of importing FM3 to Axe FX III MK2.

So any suggestions to important the 20 song presets I have instead of the entire last 1/3 of all presets would be helpful.

Last edited:
(Not yet helpful) - why did you do your backup as blocks as opposed to presets? It seems it would be harder to reconstruct the FM3->AXFX3 presets, as you'd need to remember the various blocks used in the preset(s). I'm of the school that backing up presets is best.

I had the opportunity to upgrade my FM3 to an Axe FX III mk 2. I backed up my FM3 presets using fractool not as single presets but as blocks using fractool (all of them into one file). When I get the new axe fx do I use import from the Axe Fx edit software or is it best to import using fractool? Is it as easy as when I restored my FM3 presets when I updated my FM3 firmware? I looked at the manuals and the forums and everyone says it can be done and its easy but I have not specifically seen any documentation on the best steps of importing FM3 to Axe FX III MK2.

So any suggestions to important the 20 song presets I have instead of the entire last 1/3 of all presets would be helpful.
Don't back them up as blocks, back up the bank or export them as presets.

Use FM3-Edit and Axe-Edit III because they're the best tools for the job. Both have Fractal-Bot embedded, which is the easy way to back up presets, then use the Preset Manager to install them in the slots you want.

Exporting a preset as blocks is great if you're populating the library to reuse those blocks in other presets, but you'll end up having to recreate your presets by hand if those are all you have available.

The FX3 can load FM3 presets and backup files without any problem as long as they're on their current firmware.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fractal-Bot

Well I can explain. I backed it up with fractalbot because I was a noob and when reading forums and watching videos I kept hearing use fractal bot. So I got the FM3 in late June, took a month reading the manual, watching videos etc and then after creating a live set list I had several practices, tweaked some more and then backed everything up using fractal bot, figuring I would later back up the fractal individual presets when I was done experimenting. It was only later that I found out that fractalbot was in the editor software and I made plans on backing up my fm3 presets individually after a recording session but then the usb went out during the session. Fractal tech was very nice but they warned me up front that 90% of the time they get units in with connection complaints ther is nothing wrong and someone has a bad cable. Turns out the unit needed to be replaced. I don’t want to bore anyone with the rest but I decided I loved the FM3 so I bought a AXe FX instead as a replacement so I no longer have access to the FM3….and only realized oh crap this might be a problem. The good news is after all that tweaking I can probably do most of everything by memory but I had had some complicated patches for the fm3 and wanted to speed up the process with the axe because I plan on making even more complicated presets for faster switching with the Axe. So I was hoping to see the tempos of each song, the delay and amp settings etc. and move on from their to create all new super axe presets. I love the fractals flexibility but while I see this flexibility as a strength I also see it as a curse because there are a ton of variables that need to be tweaked. That is what I love about fractal compared to my experience with helix and others is that every menu change has consequences and as a result one slight miss and I will be griping that it doesn’t sound right. I have to live with my noob mistakes because I was still in the process of tweaking and didn’t invest enough time in understanding backups
. What I planned on doing is backing up the axe when I get it, loading the last third of the banks where my song presets are, tweaking them briefly, backing them up individually now that I know how and then reloading the factory settings and the uploading them individually. However I would like to avoid more noob mistakes if I can.

Last edited:
I have not specifically seen any documentation on the best steps of importing FM3 to Axe FX III MK2.
drag the invdividual preset file from your computer folder to the Name area in Axe-Edit. or use Manage presets to load the folder first, and drag the bank file or individual preset files to the list of preset slots and save.

Got the Axe FXIII last night. Loaded the presets and went to practice.
First: Thanks to everyone with the suggestions. Second, things sounded different than the FM3. I really believe the Axe FX III sounds different, but that could have been the settings because for some reason the volumes and some of the other settings were different. I spent a month tweaking the FM3 for how wet effects were, consistent volumes between presets etc and now I have to tweak again.

I am not saying this is a bad thing because I planned on using two amps instead of one (for faster scene switching) and I planned on increasing the quality of the verbs and adding even more effects. But wow, at the moment I swear the Axe III sounds better than the FM3.....I can't explain why but even though I had some preset volume issues, things just sounded better. It could be affirmation bias, the way Axe III imports the presets, or a million other things but besides how big the axe is compared to the FM3, I am finding the Axe III Mk2 to be well worth the difference in price. It is phenomenal. Now I think I will have to buy the FC-12 because I have yet to find an FC-6 similar to the OM9 setups online. I am still looking, I am a noob so it might be right in front of my face, but I am still going to try to get the FC-6 to work for me.

Back
Top Bottom