IMPORTANT for Front Panel Users - Layout menu behavior change in 15.04

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
IMPORTANT for Front Panel Users - Layout menu behavior change in 15.04+

Update - 15.05 was released shortly after 15.04. The Layout menu changes affect everything from 15.04 and on until further notice.

15.04 was just released today and it has some cool new updates for us.

One of the changes is something very different with the Front Panel UI, something that hasn’t been changed since the very first Axe-Fx Standard! It is the behavior of the Layout menu.

The Layout menu is where we spend most of our time editing our presets – adding and moving blocks. We also edit the Input Noise Gate as well as Output Level and Balance options in addition to individual Scene levels. All of that stuff is still there, but the Input Gate and Output parameters are no longer the 3rd and 4th Tab/Page in the menu. Now it functions more like Axe-Edit where you actually cursor over to the far left Input Gate block and hit Edit to change the parameters. Similarly you navigate to the far right and cursor over to the Output block to change those parameter. The Layout menu also “wraps around” which helps you get from one side to the other very quickly and easily.

Here is a quote from the official release notes:

Moved Noisegate and Main Output edit menus in Layout page. To enter these menus select the “In/Gate” or “Output” blocks in the layout grid and press Edit. The Layout grid now “wraps around” as well.

And here is a quick video I made just with my iPhone to get this information out quickly:

Last edited:
Whoo- Hoo! - "Added 256 more preset locations for Axe-Fx II XL models (768 total)."

I would assume a new Axe-Edit is just around the corner to facilitate a "Bank E" ?

hey guys, 15.05 was released shortly after, but contains the same change, so i edited this info to say 15.04+.

Big improvement, conceptually.

Agreed. It wasn't a huge change but it made the whole grid just look and feel more...I dunno...modern to me. UI refinements are always welcome and I suspect they're pretty hard to do on a screen the size of the Axe-Fx's. Not a lot of great innovation comes from a UI on a screen that size to kudos to Cliff for this one.

I applaud your efforts, but I'm certain this will come up a lot this month. Sticky anyone?

i might re-shoot the video since the low quality is KILLING me haha.

but i kept almost saying "reach around" instead of "wrap around" hahah!

thanks FAS, for the reach around...

It's now like the G-Force has been since 1996 (along with the grid layout). I use the front panel way more than Axe Edit so this is a welcome change!

Thanks Chris for the explain vid. I had no idea what a reach er " wrap around " was.
As mainly a front panel user very helpful change in the interface a bit more intuitive.
Now I just have to wrap me head around all these new EQ's - brain still hurts though from reading about db s and logs and such, math makes my eyes go all funny :ambivalence:

Thanks brah! Appreciate you doing this because I am one of those front panel guys. :)

Take care man and watch those storms coming your way. Tell Hot Licks, Easy Music Center, Island Guitars, etc. to take everything away from the coast. :)

Back
Top Bottom