Importance of (or lack thereof) your room when dialing in sounds

Sonarworks as mentioned before has helped me with mixing and creating patches in a massive way. If you get the studio version you can correct your room and flatten the colour that your headphones add. This can sit on the output of your speakers all the time and then the profile changed for headphone use or it can be a plugin in your DAW. Nothing beats room treatment but Sonarworks helps. You can also use Waves NX to do the same thing on your headphones.

Once a year you blow it off with an air compressor.

I used sound insulation in three full walls.

That looks like a great music space. Are you happy with how it sounds?

I'm getting similar done for my own music space, currently specced for fabric lining over rock wool. Fortunately one of the longest walls doesn't exist yet, so it will be built at a small angle (about 9 degrees) to the wall facing it. The ceiling will also not be parallel to the floor. My only nervousness is that with absorption in every surface but the floor, the space will sound too dead. The guy building it for me has done quite a bit of this before, but not with non-parallel facing planes. He tells me experimentation towards the end of the build is almost always the best way to get the room sounding how you want it to. Hopefully that won't mean spending a fortune on diffusers.

I have a decent size air compressor, which is a start I guess!

Liam

That looks like a great music space. Are you happy with how it sounds?

I'm getting similar done for my own music space, currently specced for fabric lining over rock wool. Fortunately one of the longest walls doesn't exist yet, so it will be built at a small angle (about 9 degrees) to the wall facing it. The ceiling will also not be parallel to the floor. My only nervousness is that with absorption in every surface but the floor, the space will sound too dead. The guy building it for me has done quite a bit of this before, but not with non-parallel facing planes. He tells me experimentation towards the end of the build is almost always the best way to get the room sounding how you want it to. Hopefully that won't mean spending a fortune on diffusers.

I have a decent size air compressor, which is a start I guess!

Liam

We are.

More pics:

45CDB56D-560A-4315-9D8E-BECFA055B611.jpeg28533B15-FDAF-41CB-A86C-2BD2EC40B42A.jpeg94073160-C34D-4CCC-AF36-ED86267FD9C9.jpeg

I see this is as a very use-case dependent issue.

Are you dialing for a recording on which you want to do minimal mixing and have it sound good? Then treating and dialing to your room will be incredibly important.

Are you dialing for live use, where arguably the most important thing is whether it sounds good to you? Then dial to your in-ears and let front of house take care of making it rip night-to-night/venue-to-venue.

Most of the best/most widely heard sounds I've worked on were dialed in during production rehearsals, either in rehearsal spaces or empty arenas, neither of which are known for their great acoustics! ;)

Much agony and $$ has been expended improperly treating rooms (not taking out offending freqs as much as just deadening them) when really a few well placed, DIY absorptive panels and a decent ear are all you really need if your goal is a decent mix space.

I see this is as a very use-case dependent issue.

Are you dialing for a recording on which you want to do minimal mixing and have it sound good? Then treating and dialing to your room will be incredibly important.

Are you dialing for live use, where arguably the most important thing is whether it sounds good to you? Then dial to your in-ears and let front of house take care of making it rip night-to-night/venue-to-venue.

Most of the best/most widely heard sounds I've worked on were dialed in during production rehearsals, either in rehearsal spaces or empty arenas, neither of which are known for their great acoustics! ;)

Much agony and $$ has been expended improperly treating rooms (not taking out offending freqs as much as just deadening them) when really a few well placed, DIY absorptive panels and a decent ear are all you really need if your goal is a decent mix space.
This definitely makes sense and gives a perspective I have not thought of.

Back
Top Bottom