Importance of guitar volume and tone controls

hughj

Inspired
This is probably common knowledge to most of you, but for the noobs like myself, use your onboard controls more. I have recently learned that to dial in almost every sound I like, I have to make it 10-15 percent harsher than I would usually want it and dial it back with my volume and treble controls. Absolutely killer tones this way with the ability to dial various sounds on the fly. I find that I often turn it max to really cut through the mix. I guess that what sounds good in the comfort of my little home studio often doesn't translate well live. This approach has really helped that and added a whole other dimension to my playing. Again, most of you know this already, but for those that don't, this is a life saver.

Thanks to everybody that contributes to the greatest forum that I have ever been a part of!

I use PRS pots for all my guitars because I prefer their taper as opposed to CTS and other similar pots. I like to have full range and control of my guitar's volume and tone knobs. CTS pots seem to be on average 0-3 is nothing, 3-7 is the full spectrum, and 7-10 does nothing. I thought the first few were bad pots, but it turns out its the pots taper. The PRS pots are 1=10% output 5=50% output, 10=100% output. I also always use a treble bleed on my volume. Nothing I hate worse than rolling back the volume knob and everything gets dull and muddy. If I want to take off the top end a bit, that is totally what the tone knob is there for.

For me, I use the volume pot constantly. I'll go from heavy rhythm and roll back for a lighter less driven sound. The treble bleed helps keep the cut shining through in the mix and keep from getting muddy. Also use it a lot in lead work. From a super smooth/searing lead tone, then roll back the volume a bit the throw a more mellow section in the middle, then roll it back up full blast again. I use the tone pot to take some of the extra high end bite off for certain leads when using higher gain. But use it quite a bit when playing clean jazzy stuff to keep it more mellow and smooth. Its something that I could show better when you see me play as opposed to explaining it with typed words. Learning to use your guitar's volume and tone controls really opens up the dynamics of your playing as well as your guitars own dynamics and tone. Use your ear start experimenting both clean and gainy tones.

I too have been playing with my volume knob much more than I used to. My initial guitar teachers told me to always run the volume at 10 on my strat. Rolling off the volume changes the volume and also the tone. I was learning to play a blues song and one of the videos I watched mentioned that the original artist played with the volume know somewhere between 6~7. I thought that I as was just learning the song and would like to achieve his tone, for fun I tried lowering the volume and cranked up the amp. Much to my surprise how much deeper and better sounding it was. I could not believe the magic that just happened. I went back and watched the video a couple more times for more hidden jems. Noted the mention of using the pickup selector switch in position 2 with the song. With the volume cranked down, the amp cranked up, the pickup selector switch made much more tone difference, especially when running multiple pickups. Getting the pickups out of phase really made a awesome tone. I love it..
I still have much to learn about this 50 year old technology..

loopie...

Last edited:
The volume and tone controls to me are very important to me. I've tried cheap ones, common brands, bournes, PRS, different caps on different branded pots, and I prefer the taper of the PRS pots. However if I did volume swells a lot, the CTS pots would fit the bill perfectly. I know everyone is different in styles and tastes so my preferences might not work well for other musicians. Another thing that blows me away is how the XL works when I roll the volume back.. it CLEANS up nicely just a like a real tube amp. Something the rest of the modelers I have tried over the years would not do at all.

Thanks for info on pots. My PRS and Strat have really good range but my Les Paul is horrible. Definitely changing them out.

I make my patches pretty bright because I roll back volume and tone on the guitar most of the time because it gives me a squishier feel and attack. But really I find that I'd rather have too much there and dial it back rather than just not have it when I want it.

I don't like to share patches because I know that a lot of people just crank everything to 10 on their guitar and I don't want to hurt anyone's ears. :)

My scratchy PRS volume knob is now in my strat. I love it that much. (New pot -> PRS, old pot -> strat hand me down)

Speaking of volume knob manipulation I find the 5150/6505 amp models don't clean up well with the volume knob... not like the real thing. Which makes me sad :-(

Try using some contact cleaner to clean up the internal components in the scratchy pot and you should be good as new!

Not a high-gainer (anymore), but I highly recommend RS Guitarworks SuperPots in the vintage/50's wiring configuration, which incurs some interaction b/w the Vol and Tone pots. Not the cheapest option but they have a nice taper and are on the high side of the tolerance spectrum (500+ KOhms). Easy to dial back to 7 Vol/7 Tone and get a nice cleanish tone that dials up to a nice medium drive on 10/10.

@hughj - many LPs are outfitted with 300K pots. Definitely duller sounding than 500K.

I tend to not use volume on my guitar much. I'm just more of a foot-control guy and don't like anything that creates further distraction for my hands and fingers while playing.
Plus, it's hard to nail settings on the fly, especially when performing.

It's already difficult enough for me to coordinate switching both preset and pickup at the same time, let alone volume/tone, lol.

This is probably common knowledge to most of you, but for the noobs like myself, use your onboard controls more. I have recently learned that to dial in almost every sound I like, I have to make it 10-15 percent harsher than I would usually want it and dial it back with my volume and treble controls. Absolutely killer tones this way with the ability to dial various sounds on the fly. I find that I often turn it max to really cut through the mix. I guess that what sounds good in the comfort of my little home studio often doesn't translate well live. This approach has really helped that and added a whole other dimension to my playing. Again, most of you know this already, but for those that don't, this is a life saver.

Thanks to everybody that contributes to the greatest forum that I have ever been a part of!

I never used Volume or tone pots while playing. Sort of thought that made me even more of a hack than I already am. Watched a clip with Robben Ford talking gear and he runs volume and tone on 10 all the time. I am still a hack, but the volume and tone thing is not the contributing factor.

It is or should be pretty common knowledge, but still most players neglect it even though manipulating your volume and tone controls will give such a variety of tones.
IMHO it's a very important lesson you've just learned and one that many forget - especially with a piece of gear like an Axe Fx II as you can make and store a ridiculous amount of presets.
In one classic rock band I've lately played entire sets on either a Komet K60 or Friedman Drity Shirley preset as the touch sensitivity on these models and their range of clean to mean with a volume dial is just really great.

Back
Top Bottom