Wish Implementing an "Expert" Mode on AX3

ApocalypticKatana

Experienced
For example you would be able change the circuitry values of the but not limited to the.. bass, middle and treble potentiometer values on your chosen amplifier...

and imagine this applied to all the other amp parameters that are available in the AX3

it's just like creating your own amplifier from scratch , or another idea is to have a "scratch" amp block that you can customize from bottom to top !

Just an idea !

For example you would be able change the circuitry values of the but not limited to the.. bass, middle and treble potentiometer values on your chosen amplifier...

and imagine this applied to all the other amp parameters that are available in the AX3

it's just like creating your own amplifier from scratch , or another idea is to have a "scratch" amp block that you can customize from bottom to top !

Just an idea !
You do realize that you have a LOT more that is tweakable on any amp module, regardless of amp model selected for the module. These ton of values essentially change values of componants (digitally). Changing screen voltages and frequencies, is the same as changing resistor and capacitor values on a real amp (requires you to do so).

You do realize that you have a LOT more that is tweakable on any amp module, regardless of amp model selected for the module. These ton of values essentially change values of componants (digitally). Changing screen voltages and frequencies, is the same as changing resistor and capacitor values on a real amp (requires you to do so).

While I realise it’s more options than any out there that’s not my point in this post,

I know if I turn knobs on a real amplifier it changes its value resistance

what I meant was if it was if the fundamental values of the potentiometer , capacitor and resistor were changed

For example on an amp’s bass/treble circuit section it had ...to...

Pot=100k to 150k
Resistor=5K to 7k
Capacitor=100nf

It would change the bass ,middle treble’s frequency response , (q values , band width etc..)

I’m personally not an expert on electronics/audio circuitry so pardon me, but this also would be a cool way to understand how an amp works

While I realise it’s more options than any out there that’s not my point in this post,

I know if I turn knobs on a real amplifier it changes its value resistance

what I meant was if it was if the fundamental values of the potentiometer , capacitor and resistor were changed

For example on an amp’s bass/treble circuit section it had ...to...

Pot=100k to 150k
Resistor=5K to 7k
Capacitor=100nf

It would change the bass ,middle treble’s frequency response , (q values , band width etc..)

I’m personally not an expert on electronics/audio circuitry so pardon me, but this also would be a cool way to understand how an amp works
Not my point. I understand what you are asking but I don't think you are following what I am saying.

Mind you my tube amp circuit knowledge is, granted very rusty (haven't modded a real amp in years, haven't needed to with the Axe)

For instance if you go to an Amp block with any amp model, to the Preamp settings you find Low cut Freq. Now in Axe Edit, or the Axe III display it shows as a knob, and you can change the frequency. But, IF this were a real amp, to change the Preamp low cut freq, you are changing a capacitor and resistor value. Triode 1 Plate frequency is shown as a knob, but again you are really changing a capacitor and resistor pair that produce that (if it were a real amp. Basically, almost everything on the Amp Block NOT on the Authentic 'tab', and some of the Ideal 'tab', is represented as a 'knob', that is setting a result, that requires changing capacitor and resistor values, in the amp circuit, if it were a physical amp.

Granted Axe Edit for the Axe II, I seem to remember more settings to be more of the change the capacitor value types.. But, now, with Axe Edit 3 for certain, the parameter/setting is more descriptive as to what you are changing, from a player/tonal/feel perspective. Most guitar players know what more or less SAG is and does, and could care less that to achieve more or less requires changing values on components like changing a ss rectifier to a tube one, or adding a series resistance to the ss rectifier, or changing the value of the filter caps, or different transformer windings etc. Some or all of which is happening in the amp model with just a couple of parameters.

In fact, on most of the parameters, on most of the Amp BLock Tabs, what you are getting is variable value Capacitor and resistors at key locations of the AMp circuit. That is what the little knobs are in these tabs Some are truly just a variable value Cap, or Resistor, others are pairs of a Cap and resistor, others are multiple componants.

And in your example above, you can do, just not the way you describe. WHen you change the tonestack type in the preamp tab of the amp block to one of 119 other amp's tonestack, that is what you are doing. Of course, you would have to research what the different tonestacks from these amps are actually like. Might be nice to know that the Ampeg SVT (Axe SVT Bass) used a Baxandall EQ AND what that does.

Most axe users are, imho not going to want to the kind of granularity you are asking about. I wouldn't mind. But we would be a minority. Adding it as another level in Axe Edit (i.e. toggle on or off), imho, makes Axe Edit too cumbersome to support and upgrade. Again, imho, it would be an additional tool added.

Not my point. I understand what you are asking but I don't think you are following what I am saying.

Mind you my tube amp circuit knowledge is, granted very rusty (haven't modded a real amp in years, haven't needed to with the Axe)

For instance if you go to an Amp block with any amp model, to the Preamp settings you find Low cut Freq. Now in Axe Edit, or the Axe III display it shows as a knob, and you can change the frequency. But, IF this were a real amp, to change the Preamp low cut freq, you are changing a capacitor and resistor value. Triode 1 Plate frequency is shown as a knob, but again you are really changing a capacitor and resistor pair that produce that (if it were a real amp. Basically, almost everything on the Amp Block NOT on the Authentic 'tab', and some of the Ideal 'tab', is represented as a 'knob', that is setting a result, that requires changing capacitor and resistor values, in the amp circuit, if it were a physical amp.

Granted Axe Edit for the Axe II, I seem to remember more settings to be more of the change the capacitor value types.. But, now, with Axe Edit 3 for certain, the parameter/setting is more descriptive as to what you are changing, from a player/tonal/feel perspective. Most guitar players know what more or less SAG is and does, and could care less that to achieve more or less requires changing values on components like changing a ss rectifier to a tube one, or adding a series resistance to the ss rectifier, or changing the value of the filter caps, or different transformer windings etc. Some or all of which is happening in the amp model with just a couple of parameters.

In fact, on most of the parameters, on most of the Amp BLock Tabs, what you are getting is variable value Capacitor and resistors at key locations of the AMp circuit. That is what the little knobs are in these tabs Some are truly just a variable value Cap, or Resistor, others are pairs of a Cap and resistor, others are multiple componants.

And in your example above, you can do, just not the way you describe. WHen you change the tonestack type in the preamp tab of the amp block to one of 119 other amp's tonestack, that is what you are doing. Of course, you would have to research what the different tonestacks from these amps are actually like. Might be nice to know that the Ampeg SVT (Axe SVT Bass) used a Baxandall EQ AND what that does.

Most axe users are, imho not going to want to the kind of granularity you are asking about. I wouldn't mind. But we would be a minority. Adding it as another level in Axe Edit (i.e. toggle on or off), imho, makes Axe Edit too cumbersome to support and upgrade. Again, imho, it would be an additional tool added.

I apologize if I misunderstood you but I appreciate at you understanding my point

I see what you meant thought from your paragraphs o_O

I just like tweaking and we would definitely be the .1 percent that want something like this and what @Zedhed said it would be like a training kit for electrical engineers.. or amp builders haha

Or maybe just a separate app to dabble with the goodies in the amp block. That way novice users wouldn't hose their settings. Have a nice "OOPS you've done it now" badge pop up when you killed the amp rather than that annoying pop and all red lites. LOL Guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice idea mate, but not something I'd ever use - far too much tweakability for a guitar player already in the unit and I've yet to run out of things to tweak in order to get any tone I want. For me, 'expert mode' is what I already have if I go beyond the Authentic tab on the amp block.

Plus, sounds like a ball-ache waiting to happen for Fractal!

Cliff himself, in the II ages, consider an amp-edit mode or app. There were 100+models. The idea was discarghed. I Think it expose too much of the algo, it can make the product sound bad in unintentional way, it's a pain to match all user editing after an update, and so on. The models offer a great palette of tones to choose as a starting point, than tweaking the advance parameters could further expand the tone and sound in the desire design.
I remember Cliff told he could expose each gain stage volume, but never did. Any hi-gain amp has painstacking level equilibrium in each stage, if a user wants to change character & reaction of an amp it could be a useful addiction....

I Think it expose too much of the algo, it can make the product sound bad in unintentional way, it's a pain to match all user editing after an update, and so on.
This was my other thoughts as well, that I didn't mention above. I thought it might show too much of his algorithim, which is his bread and butter and what sets the Axe above the others. Also, right now, what you can change. can make the unit sound bad, but it's not so easy as it would be if you could change every component.

Perhaps a separate app as the OP envisions, that would cost, would be the way.

Or, perhaps a middle ground? Allow in Axe Edit, the ability to use MORE different amp 'sections' from different amps in an amp block. RIght now you can use other amp Tone Stacks. Why not entire preamp sections from another amp. Output sections, rectifier type, Transformer types, etc.. It is one thing I like in PG's BIAS AMP software.

I don't think there's enough demand to warrant more complexity. If anything, Cliff has stated that feedback indicates people want more simplicity, not less. Personally, I absolutely love the advanced parameters and hope they're never removed or scaled back because I use and rely on them; however, as far as adding more complexity, the unit is already perceived by many as extremely (if not overly) complex as it is, so I tend to think it would be counterproductive.

Last edited:
Can't remember the thread but there was an advanced (power amp IIRC) parameter that Cliff nuked because it was causing a nasty feedback under extreme settings and a forumer asked him to bring it back, so Cliff's response was that it was best to leave that out because for every "Expert user" out there knowing what he's doing, there would be tens or hundred users calling support because they didn't know what they changed and now their Axes "are broken".

And I'm not trying to be disrespectful but just look at the many posts by people who don't know what the "Refresh after new FW" is and what it does, so they post about their FM3s having bugs and not showing amps and FXs. And don't get me started on the "Why is the 2290 not working???" thing (and I've been one of them).

Now imagine the number of threads and/or support calls because "I think I've just borked my Axe FX, I don't know what I did but I can't get a clean tone anymore out of my Plexi" "Help, the Rectifiers are overly fizzy", "Can't get an open tone out of my Friedman, sounds sooooo compressed).

Nice idea mate, but not something I'd ever use - far too much tweakability for a guitar player already in the unit and I've yet to run out of things to tweak in order to get any tone I want. For me, 'expert mode' is what I already have if I go beyond the Authentic tab on the amp block.

Plus, sounds like a ball-ache waiting to happen for Fractal!

Don't think it'll happen too, but I think it would be a major next step for fractal to have an option to make your own custom amplifier , you can kind of do that already I guess

Cliff himself, in the II ages, consider an amp-edit mode or app. There were 100+models. The idea was discarghed. I Think it expose too much of the algo, it can make the product sound bad in unintentional way, it's a pain to match all user editing after an update, and so on. The models offer a great palette of tones to choose as a starting point, than tweaking the advance parameters could further expand the tone and sound in the desire design.
I remember Cliff told he could expose each gain stage volume, but never did. Any hi-gain amp has painstacking level equilibrium in each stage, if a user wants to change character & reaction of an amp it could be a useful addiction....

There could always be an option to reset to an internal default if things ever sounded bad

This was my other thoughts as well, that I didn't mention above. I thought it might show too much of his algorithim, which is his bread and butter and what sets the Axe above the others. Also, right now, what you can change. can make the unit sound bad, but it's not so easy as it would be if you could change every component.

Perhaps a separate app as the OP envisions, that would cost, would be the way.

Or, perhaps a middle ground? Allow in Axe Edit, the ability to use MORE different amp 'sections' from different amps in an amp block. RIght now you can use other amp Tone Stacks. Why not entire preamp sections from another amp. Output sections, rectifier type, Transformer types, etc.. It is one thing I like in PG's BIAS AMP software.

you could say that having that kind of internal tweakability could put fractal at a whole level beyond what other amp modelers could do

or Maybe on a future axe fx it could have the kind of "internal" modifications I'm suggesting? Yeah I agree like mix and match internal parts of an amplifier , like bass tonestack from a mesa rectifier, middle tonestack of a friedman, distortion characteristics of a EngL that cleans to a fender deluxe from just turning down gain button

Crazy but I can dream

Back
Top Bottom