Implement dB meter in my rack

They have free dB meter apps for smartphones that can do a similar task.

Seems like the sort of thing you'd really only need once in a while

They have free dB meter apps for smartphones that can do a similar task.

Seems like the sort of thing you'd really only need once in a while

I agree. It's something you'd use when setting levels, not something needed all the time. Check out the Orban Loudness Meter software. I compared it to the AxeFx vu a while ago and found the results nearly identical.

Looks like a great eye catcher if you don't have enough stage lighting. I like it ! but not available in Europe (and no money for this available anyway, I'd prefer putting aside for another guitar)

So you would run the Axe-Fx through it, to get your signal levels to display?
Yes that was my plan.

It is available in Europe and cheap also (like 50$) I agree its only once in a while but then it would be nice and easy to spot.

Easier to see from a distance, sure, but if you were using the information to make adjustments you'd need to be within reach of a laptop or the front panel anyways....

For preset leveling you might want to check how it measures or if it has different modes. I seem to remember the Axe uses averaging. If this is a peak meter it won't be as effective as the Axe meter.

This isn't gonna be as accurate, but it's a lot more fun to wear on the gig. Plus you can always point to it when the club owner tells you you're too loud. I got one after seeing Moses Mo wearing one with Mother's Finest.

raver-.gif

Well of this is a good tool or not is one thing. My question was if it is connected between my axe output and my speaker would show the same info as the axe VU meter? Does anyone know the answer for this?

Cheers

Well of this is a good tool or not is one thing. My question was if it is connected between my axe output and my speaker would show the same info as the axe VU meter? Does anyone know the answer for this?

Cheers

As of the FW 17 release notes the VU meters measurement is prior to the Output Level potentiometers.
Therefore it would be not the same info. But it should work for levelling presets.

Because of the perceived volume tricks being played on your ear and the way clean vs distorted presets read on a meter the best way to level your presets is by ear in context. Get a 2 button pedal like the Boss FS6. Set one button to + the preset volume and one button to - the preset volume in 1dB increments.

Get the preset in the ballpark using the Axe VU meter and step on the pedals, in context, until it sits right in your mix. It automatically saves the preset so it is fast and easy.

You can mount that rack meter and it may serve a purpose but I could easily see you chasing your tail trying to level presets with it. Especially if it's only a peak meter. After messing (and fighting) with preset leveling on an Axe for near 9 or 10 years this is the best way I have found. Just opinion of course.

Back
Top Bottom