Impinged shoulder anyone?

I personally wouldn't let a chiropractor anywhere near my body. They are quacks. Read about the guy that invented chiropracty, He was a complete nutjob that came up with it while attending a Séance.

At least read some of this before allowing one to work on your body. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/chiropractic/ There are a ton of references where. It's complete pseudoscience. At best, it's probably more like a placebo, and they can do real harm. If nothing else, just read the Wikipedia page for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chiropractic

That said, I've also seen doctors that immediately want to cut people open. A friend of mine had a different sort of shoulder injury, and the first doctor they saw wanted to remove an upper rib. All they really needed was a form of PT.

physio worked for my rotator cuff injury from golf - had to rigorously follow the exercises prescribed and not re-injure it.

I personally wouldn't let a chiropractor anywhere near my body. They are quacks. Read about the guy that invented chiropracty, He was a complete nutjob that came up with it while attending a Séance.

At least read some of this before allowing one to work on your body. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/chiropractic/ There are a ton of references where. It's complete pseudoscience. At best, it's probably more like a placebo, and they can do real harm. If nothing else, just read the Wikipedia page for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chiropractic

That said, I've also seen doctors that immediately want to cut people open. A friend of mine had a different sort of shoulder injury, and the first doctor they saw wanted to remove an upper rib. All they really needed was a form of PT.
My Primary Care MD has no problem giving me a referral to a chiropractor, and he is a “by the books” kind of doc as far as I can tell. That said, I haven’t been to one in quite some time as I’ve found I can maintain my back health through a large hard foam roll and ice if necessary.

Having dealt with lower back issues most of my life, I have formed a good opinion of Chiropractic. They’re not all good, but if you can find a good one they are life savers. Each to his own, but your average Dr has 3 options. Pain meds, therapy, and surgery. My backs not bad enough to warrant surgery and the ‘therapy’ I have been referred to was a waste of time. For the most part, I have had far better results from Chiropractors. Chiropractic on an occasional basis along with exercise and stretches is all I need.

I don’t trust Wikipedia for anything. Highly biased and subject to manipulation. They just re defined what a recession is for political reasons. Many doctors distrust chiropractic and holistic approaches to health care. There quacks on both sides.

That said, when I had shoulder issues, chiropractic didn’t even occur to me as an option. Maybe one could have helped, maybe not. I needed a behavioral change to fix my impingement. I did see a Dr who prescribed anti inflammatory meds. Never even tried to determine why I developed an issue. They just wrote a prescription and done.

Having dealt with lower back issues most of my life, I have formed a good opinion of Chiropractic. They’re not all good, but if you can find a good one they are life savers. Each to his own, but your average Dr has 3 options. Pain meds, therapy, and surgery. My backs not bad enough to warrant surgery and the ‘therapy’ I have been referred to was a waste of time. For the most part, I have had far better results from Chiropractors. Chiropractic on an occasional basis along with exercise and stretches is all I need.

Same here. Had a great one up in NoPho up until just before I moved. Still getting acquainted with the new area we moved to last year.

Many doctors distrust chiropractic and holistic approaches to health care. There quacks on both sides.

Also agree. One thing I have noticed is that very few chiropractors are pushing pharmaceutical products....

That said, when I had shoulder issues, chiropractic didn’t even occur to me as an option. Maybe one could have helped, maybe not. I needed a behavioral change to fix my impingement. I did see a Dr who prescribed anti inflammatory meds. Never even tried to determine why I developed an issue. They just wrote a prescription and done.

Lots of regular doctors are just there to push pills and potions on you. The masseur I used to visit up in NoPho was a miracle worker with my shoulder and a couple of my other frequent issues. Lost track of him with COVID and the move out to the sticks. Still looking for someone as good down here where I moved....

Same here. Had a great one up in NoPho up until just before I moved. Still getting acquainted with the new area we moved to last year.

Also agree. One thing I have noticed is that very few chiropractors are pushing pharmaceutical products....

Lots of regular doctors are just there to push pills and potions on you. The masseur I used to visit up in NoPho was a miracle worker with my shoulder and a couple of my other frequent issues. Lost track of him with COVID and the move out to the sticks. Still looking for someone as good down here where I moved....

NoPho. Is that north Phoenix? Just guessing.

I relocated myself a few years back. Took awhile but I found a good chiropractor and a good doctors office. As always, I hope I don’t need to see them often. I’m not sure if chiropractors are able to prescribe meds. They definitely don’t push them. Doctors on the other hand are pill pushers. How many times have you seen a pharmaceutical salesman coming through an office waiting room? Lot of money involved.

I’ve met some quack chiropractors too, getting people hooked and running them through like an assembly line.

I bought one of those impact massagers. When my shoulder starts getting tight, I bust it out. Pretty happy with it but it can be brutal. It basically pounds muscles. Learned about that from a back pain visit. The chiropractor said my shoulder was tight and went to town on it. It worked well enough for me to buy one.

Yeah,

My left shoulder is impinged because of a failed old rotator cuff surgery from 2007. I had held off too long on the surgery for the ruptured anterior bicep tendon, and the orthopedist who performed the surgery cautioned me that the surgery might only be 50% successful long term. I went through with it and the arm healed, but the repaired tendon let loose again after 10 months.

Fast forward to 2019, prior to Covid. Had hoped to use my health insurance benefits at my local fitness center, in order to strengthen/tone, etc. Part of the fitness interview involved checking my flexibility, and that's when the fitness instructor noticed my poor range of motion (holding my hands vertically against a wall with my back against it). Couldn't do it. The instructor forbade me from using the back and shoulder exercise machines until I'd seen a physical therapist to restore range of motion.

Well, over the course of late 2019 into April 2020, just as Covid was ramping up, the therapist said that my health insurance would no longer cover PT visits, and that my PT would need to finish up. So here I was, half chomping at the bit to be able to get back to the gym, and half deciding to bag the whole idea and just live with the poor range of motion.

While locally the gym was in lockdown because of Covid, it seemed a waste of time trying to pursue PT without any guidance or direction, and I scrapped the idea of ever heading back to the gym.

Instead, I do everyday things like gardening and yard work, house maintenance and cleaning, cooking and laundry, walking at various speeds. I seldom waste time watching TV unless its usually something educational like PBS. I'm not a sports fan (really never have been). My choice of 'play' is computer work, listening passively to music, cooking, building things, or practicing guitar. I also work part-time, which helps manage my weight.

The shoulder impingement doesn't affect my day-to-day life, because the fitness instructor's requirement of being able to touch the wall with the back of my hand above my head seldom if ever happens IRL. I'd need to start over with PT exercises from day one and work towards recovery without a therapist's guidance, and chance that the fitness instructor might give the green light for the back and shoulder machines.

I just don't have or can make the time to invest in PT again, though forearms and legs aren't limited according to the instructor. It wouldn't be possible to get a whole body workout in, even if I tried, simply because the fitness center would not be liable if I went against their recommendations.

Today, the shoulder impingement does not play a significant role in my well-being, though it might be nice to be able to reach the top shelves in my kitchen without needing a step-ladder...

NoPho. Is that north Phoenix? Just guessing.

Yes. :)

I relocated myself a few years back. Took awhile but I found a good chiropractor and a good doctors office. As always, I hope I don’t need to see them often.

Yeah, same here with the doc, but I have a monthly plan that gets me 4 visits a month, and I use them all. Pretty much any time I do any around-the-house or around-the-car work, I end up throwing myself out of whack. Could use a helper sometimes, but have no helper I can depend on, so I do a lot of stuff by myself that really should be a two-person job. It adds up. Need to find a chiro named Stephanie, so I can walk in with the old Johnny 5 line, "Reassemble, Stephanie!" :D

I’m not sure if chiropractors are able to prescribe meds. They definitely don’t push them. Doctors on the other hand are pill pushers. How many times have you seen a pharmaceutical salesman coming through an office waiting room? Lot of money involved.

Yeah. Pretty much given up on finding a doc that is more interested in my health than in the kickbacks from the pharma companies. They probably exist somewhere, but I don't have 5 days a week to go hunting, and so far, in this area, I have not really found a doctor I really feel good about. Last doctor I felt good about was Dr. Fiore in Toms River, NJ, 40 years ago....

I’ve met some quack chiropractors too, getting people hooked and running them through like an assembly line.

Yeah, they're out there. When you find a good one, you stick with 'em. Same with car mechanics. I drive an hour, past a TON of repair places to take my MINI to see Jerry. :)

I bought one of those impact massagers. When my shoulder starts getting tight, I bust it out. Pretty happy with it but it can be brutal. It basically pounds muscles. Learned about that from a back pain visit. The chiropractor said my shoulder was tight and went to town on it. It worked well enough for me to buy one.

I have an older one that can get semi-deep, but have thought about some of the ads I've seen for those ones that you see online where the thing literally has the person's neck or leg or whatever muscles vibrating like jello....

I had surgery on my right shoulder to remove bone spurs and it now feels 100%. Was playing again in 3 weeks or so.

I also had impingement in my left shoulder but my Dr. showed me a few stretches and now my left shoulder is at about 90-95% without surgery. If I get it in just the right spot I can feel it but the stretches have loosened me up enough that I feel good.

My advice is to start stretching then some light weight dumbell training after things start feeling better.
If you do need surgery make sure you do the PT. I did mine on my own at home after being shown what was expected of me.

Back
Top Bottom