Impedance curves with solid state power amp + cab

Rockuronium

Hi all,

I recently picked up an Orange Pedal Baby as an Amazon Warehouse deal to use with my homemade 1x12 V30 cabinet. I'm hoping someone here more knowledgeable than myself can share the correct* approach to using impedance curve modeling with the solid-state class AB Pedal Baby.

When not simultaneously running into a PA, does it make more sense to turn impedance modeling off and let that happen in real life between the Pedal Baby and the speaker? Or, do solid-state amps not exhibit this behavior (thus suggesting that using the 1x V30 impedance curve would offer the greatest accuracy)?

Thanks in advance!

*"Do what sounds best to you." Yep, got it. Asking about accuracy.

Most solid state amps don't have that type of interaction with the speaker load, so you'd likely want to use the modeled impedance curve close to that of your real cab if you want to recreate the effect driving that cab would have on the tone. I'm certainly no expert, but I believe it has to do with tube amps being transformer coupled to the speaker load and their output behaving more like a current source than a voltage source. Typically it boosts the lows and the highs in the tone giving a bit more thump and cut.

If you were running a tube power amplifier, then you might want to use the flat impedance curve option and let the real tube power amp add its own flavor with the real cab. Using a modeled impedance curve there would give you double the resonant effect, once from the model and once again from the real tube power amp.

Hi all,

I recently picked up an Orange Pedal Baby as an Amazon Warehouse deal to use with my homemade 1x12 V30 cabinet. I'm hoping someone here more knowledgeable than myself can share the correct* approach to using impedance curve modeling with the solid-state class AB Pedal Baby.

When not simultaneously running into a PA, does it make more sense to turn impedance modeling off and let that happen in real life between the Pedal Baby and the speaker? Or, do solid-state amps not exhibit this behavior (thus suggesting that using the 1x V30 impedance curve would offer the greatest accuracy)?

Thanks in advance!

*"Do what sounds best to you." Yep, got it. Asking about accuracy.

Leave all power amp modeling and impedance curves on. Mr. Fender is right.

I tested a bunch of power amps last month and the pedal baby won. I sold all the others. Best feeling and natural sounding amp of those I tried. You'll enjoy it. But it does have a mid hump at around 4000 hz if I recall. PEQ -2.5 dB with Q to your taste should fix it.

Thanks, @mr_fender and @JRod4928.

Curious which power amps you compared, @JRod4928. With the Fractal unit, was your sound comparable to traditional amps? I haven't been thrilled with the combination yet, but I've admittedly had little time to mess around with it, and have only done so at whisper volumes.

Back
Top Bottom