Impedance Curves are my new Go-To for Tone Shaping

The more I learn about each of these Fractal parameters, the easier it becomes to choose the right parameter to get the sound I want.
Like, adjusting the Impedance Curve to stay in the sweet spot and to avoid, muddiness or dark compressed highs.

@State of Epicicity, I got this from @unix-guy , "My understanding is that speaker compliance is about how "broken in" the speaker is."

There is a more detailed explanation in his post. And also a link to a post by FractalAudio that supports his thought.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/celestion-f12-x200.138674/page-31#post-2194331

I read 50% compliance as a typically broken-in speaker.
Higher is newer, tighter, and less broken-in.
And, lower is older, looser, and more worn.

It makes sense to me. And it sounds like that is what is happening.
But, I can be suggestible.

Last edited:
@State of Epicicity, I just went back and revisited the Speaker Compliance parameter -- to make sure that I didn't accidentally reverse-remember the info. I forgot that I had set speaker compliance to 40% for a Neil Young patch. Lowering the Speaker Compliance definitely brings in the well-worn vintage speaker thing.
It works well, even synergistically, with increased Speaker Compression, in that regard .

@State of Epicicity, I just went back and revisited the Speaker Compliance parameter -- to make sure that I didn't accidentally reverse-remember the info. I forgot that I had set speaker compliance to 40% for a Neil Young patch. Lowering the Speaker Compliance definitely brings in the well-worn vintage speaker thing.
It works well, even synergistically, with increased Speaker Compression, in that regard .

Ah, thanks for looking at that, Man. I actually messed around with it a bunch today and got the most gnarly and awesome results with the Archon Clean channel. It just sounded mildly broken, in the most beautiful way haha. Yeah, that's a new parameter for me really to play around with and no longer ignore. I played back a loop of some bluesy double-stop stuff and decided to to mess with every parameter today, even if it made tone sculpting take a lot longer. For the Speaker Compliance, I definitely heard it the same way, well worn is a good description, when you dial it in right. There are my go to parameters, like Speaker Compression, but this was new to me. And I found that by modding it so far that it was no longer the same amp, it was a thing of beauty, and totally and completely worth it. It felt better under my fingers and just purred like a jungle cat. My goal now is to reread for the millionth time the parameter explanations as I go along, in the wiki, the Tech Notes here, and the Blocks Guide. I'd like to have the kind of understanding to know how to tweak for exactly the right character right away, the way an extremely experienced engineer knows just what compressor to use and what frequency to cut before touching a knob.

@State of Epicicity, I always smile when I think of your writing style and your username at the same time.

I feel the same way. I am trying to get a deeper understanding of each parameter, too. It's funny how a few spot-on descriptions of how a parameter works, or what to listen for when adjusting it, can turn on all the lights for me.

Sometimes, the same parameter can be adjusted in different contexts, for different reasons, while listening for different types of results. Speaker Compression was a lesson in that, for me. I know the old guys probably watch the new kids go through this every year. But, the forum, the wik, and the technotesi have been a huge help.

To answer OP, yeah. The impedence curves seem to be a lot more important than just about any other tone shaping 'thing' in the Axe. Excluding things like radical filters.

This may be expository of the nature of the tube amp itself. I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom