Wish Impedance Curve Wish - Lower Minimum Possible Value of Low Res Freq

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
@Admin M@ & @FractalAudio What is the possibility of lowering the possible minimum value one can dial in on Low Res Freq parameter.

As I start to explore capturing impedance curves of certain bass cabs and esoteric ported guitar cabs with unusual speakers, I find the the Dayton Audio Test System gives me resonance frequency readings in 20s or 30s Hz ranges for some of these cabs.

However, both on the unit itself and in Axe-Edit, the lowest frequency one can dial in is 40Hz.

Is it possible that you could allow in a future update to lower the minimum value to say 20 Hz to allow for recreating the low bump for some of these more unusual cabs?

This would seem to make it possible to make the amp models react more accurately to these unusual cabs.

Otherwise, can you give us the ability to load files from the DATS system into the Fractal units using with the text or zma file formats that the DATS system generates?

Thanks for your consideration.

I know that impedance isn't the same thing as frequency response, but still, that's awfully low, below what many pretty serious stereos and PAs will reproduce, and way below what most guitar-oriented reproduction systems will do.

Does this matter, practically speaking?

That said, I'm all in favor or accurate modeling and fewer limitations.

I know that impedance isn't the same thing as frequency response, but still, that's awfully low, below what many pretty serious stereos and PAs will reproduce, and way below what most guitar-oriented reproduction systems will do.

Yes, even though those frequencies are out of normal guitar or bass range, the resonances there affect the way the cab/speaker responds to the amp and affect the amp's frequency response and distortion characteristics.

Most audio reproduction devices slope off at lower frequencies, but it is a slope, not a cliff, so there is still some response outside the advertised pass band....

Think of it this way, if a cab is engineered to reproduce the fundamental of the low B string on a 5 string bass, that frequency is 31 Hz.

So if a cab designer moves the resonance frequency lower than that to avoid a wolf or farty note situation, the frequency would be lower than that.

It would be cool to see how the amp models can react to such a resonance.

I'm all in favor of adding more possibilities for weird stuff, a 4x12 oversized recto with a fundamental impedance at 20ish hz would be fun to try. That's that the Axe is great at!

Back
Top Bottom