Impedance curve to use with Matrix GT1000 through EVH 2x12

AXEMike

Hi All
New to the AxeFXIII but busy reading and learning.
I have tried to read through as many of the Speaker Impedance Curve threads as I could find to figure out how I should set this up.
I can see that there is a built in IR for the EVH 4x12 and Peavey 5150 4x12. I don't see anything for the
EVH2x12 cabs. I do have the Celestion IR pack for the EVH cabs that I use in my DAW. Is there any way to figure out what the impedance
curve should look like by using an IR of the real cab.

I did search and read everything I could find so if there is a write up explaing how to do this already just point me in the right direction. :)

Thanks in advance for any info.

My advice. Don't try getting "perfect" matching numbers. Will drive yourself crazy doing that with every IR and curve. Just pick a curve. Does it sound good? Then play guitar.

Doing the measurement of EVH2x12's SIC on your own, then looking for the closest one from the existing 2x12 SICs and tweaks to make it closer will put you in the ballpark maybe?
Doesn't 2x12 Godzilla or 2x12 Recto work?

Thanks everyone for the tips. So it is not so much about trying to match up the Impedance curve exactly with a IR as it is just seeing what sounds best (like trying different cabs with different amps to find the best combination with real amps).

One other question. I want use the same IR for FOH as real cab on stage. Are there any issues with importing 3rd party IR's (I have the ones generated by Celestion for EVH cabs that I currently use in my DAW). There is a version that is listed as for use with Fractal devices but was wondering if there was a sound quality difference between imports as opposed to the built in IR's

Tone in every IR maker will be different. Many of the stock impulses in the Fractal product line are already third party. Ownhammer, ML sound lab, etc.

As far as is there like some kind sonic difference of like I think you’re asking basically, are the IR’s in the axe special or just “better”, no, not really. All IR’s done correctly are the same “quality”. The sound however will be different. Different mic positions, different rooms recorded in, different mic preamps, etc.

Personally speaking, I do not like celestion’s IR’s that much. The ownhammer EVH impulses sound better to me.

Oh and the “version for fractal” someone else can explain it much better but that just is talking about digital formats. Not really anything to do with how the IR’s sound. Axe FX uses specific format for IR files as does Line 6.

.wav is the “general” format.

@AXEMike The EVH 2x12 and the Mesa Recto 2x12 have nearly identical dimensions, so I’d use the 2x12 Recto curve as a starting point. You can try that curve through your real cabinet and see if the low resonance frequency feels right to you or if you need to shift it up or down a little to get a better match for your cab.

The EVH 2x12 has H30 speakers in it, which are different than the EVH (M20) 20w speakers you’d find in an EVH 4x12, so even using an IR with the EVH speakers won’t be a perfect match for your real cab.

Personally, I’d use an impedance curve that best fits your IR so you’ve got a great foundation at FOH/monitor world, and then you can tweak the Output 2 EQ to fine tune your live cab for some stage oomph if you need to.

Back
Top Bottom