Imitate vibrato arm in a single move? Down, back up + a little vibrato at the end

I can do down & back up, but I haven't found a way to add a little vibrato at the end. Is it possible in a single movement, or only possible by activating two blocks in succession? It's be great to step on one button and do it all (or expression pedal).

Main guitar is fixed bridge and I am reducing switching of guitars. I want some surf sounds without changing guitars. Hit a chord, it goes down a half step or so, comes back up does a small vibrato at the end. Any ideas?

Update: tried it. Yes, it's possible. I used the damping knob to smooth out the steps and used real small increments on the sequencer. I haven't got it to where I want it yet, but getting there. I'm messing around with less sequencer steps, wider pitch change, slower rate vs. more sequencer steps, less pitch change and faster rate. Lots of variables to play with.

If anyone is looking to do this, here's what I did:
pitch block / adv whammy / stop knob - right click, sequencer as controller / close that / open controller tab / select sequencer / turn the run button on / set your sequencer steps and choose the number of steps

what you want to do next is attach the run parameter in the sequencer to a momentary switch. press and hold for wobble. every time you hit the switch, the sequencer will start back at the beginning. also, if you set the sequencer tempo to a subdivision of the global tempo, your wobbles will always be in time if you tap the tempo in.

pitch block / adv whammy / stop knob - right click

Did you mean "Control" knob? A "Stop" modifier would snap to semitones instead of changing pitch smoothly.

An LFO might be easier to work with than the sequencer, and the vibrato will hold indefinitely without the initial dip repeating. Damped modifiers allow a rate increase and depth decrease after the initial dip. (Preset 1 below)

An LFO B phase modifier (assign with FracPad) could make the initial drop quicker by moving from 0° to ~90° with slight damping, then hold for a short time (or not) based on LFO run modifier damping. Preset 2 has this plus an increased ±2 semitone whammy range for a larger dip. If you increase the range, you'll probably want to reduce min. LFO depth to keep the vibrato depth about the same as before.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nq0aukgtr2ah6bo/fakebarvib.mp3

These use External 2 to activate the effect; adjust modifier sources as needed. If not using FracPad you'll need to access the LFO 1B Phase modifier from Axe-Edit's Controllers - Modifiers list.

Attachments

• Fake bar dive & vib..syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Fake bar 2 QuickDive.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
Did you mean "Control" knob? A "Stop" modifier would snap to semitones instead of changing pitch smoothly.

I was referring to a knob called "Stop" in the adv whammy. (next to the "Start" one ). they appear only in adv whammy i think. But yeah, maybe that's why it's difficult to smooth it out.

Man, you're suggestions are intriguing. Can't wait to try them! Thanks for the syx files!

These use External 2 to activate the effect; adjust modifier sources as needed. If not using FracPad you'll need to access the LFO 1B Phase modifier from Axe-Edit's Controllers - Modifiers list.

Bakerman, hey this is excellent. Thanks again. Only one thing I can't adjust. I'd like the initial dip to be slower. I tried putting Output B Phase on 90° and damping the modifiers, but I can't get that slow dramatic dip (for a slower tempo song).

Bakerman, hey this is excellent. Thanks again. Only one thing I can't adjust. I'd like the initial dip to be slower. I tried putting Output B Phase on 90° and damping the modifiers, but I can't get that slow dramatic dip (for a slower tempo song).

If it's preset 2, increase the B Phase modifier damping value. For preset 1, keep B Phase at 0° and reduce min. value of LFO rate modifier.

You might have to increase damping for the LFO Rate & Depth (also Run, on preset 2 only) modifiers so the pitch doesn't go back to around zero too early. More rate/run damping (relative to depth damping) will make more of a pause between the dip & vibrato effect.

All sounds complicated and ‘guessing’, not real ‘natural’ In the end. But, I’ve never thought to even try.

My cynical’ answer ... get a guitar with a bar. 😁

If it's preset 2, increase the B Phase modifier damping value. For preset 1, keep B Phase at 0° and reduce min. value of LFO rate modifier.

You might have to increase damping for the LFO Rate & Depth (also Run, on preset 2 only) modifiers so the pitch doesn't go back to around zero too early. More rate/run damping (relative to depth damping) will make more of a pause between the dip & vibrato effect.
Ok, I'll check it out. Thank you!

All sounds complicated and ‘guessing’, not real ‘natural’ In the end. But, I’ve never thought to even try.

My cynical’ answer ... get a guitar with a bar. 😁

Yeah, my Strat. But like I said in the original post, I'm reducing the swapping of guitars. In fact, I'm playing the whole show with a Les Paul and an acoustic. That's all I bring for most situations.

...And that's why I'm looking to the AxeFx to provide a couple of tricks. ...and it delivers! I'm still amazed by what this thing can do. Love getting into parameters and blocks that I haven't used much. Thanks again to all who made suggestions.

Yeah, my Strat. But like I said in the original post, I'm reducing the swapping of guitars. In fact, I'm playing the whole show with a Les Paul and an acoustic. That's all I bring for most situations.

...And that's why I'm looking to the AxeFx to provide a couple of tricks. ...and it delivers! I'm still amazed by what this thing can do. Love getting into parameters and blocks that I haven't used much. Thanks again to all who made suggestions.

Agreed, the AXE definitely delivers. I don’t use much effects except reverb, delay and chorus... maybe sometimes something else (usually associated with the above mentioned).. but that’s me. I’d personally use a guitar with a whammy bar if I needed it... that way I’d have complete control of what I want. I meant nothing bad in my first reply.

I bring two electric guitars to every gig in case I break a string, or want a different sound from the instrument. Of course, unfortunately gigs aren’t happening now.

I meant nothing bad in my first reply.

I bring two electric guitars to every gig in case I break a string, or want a different sound from the instrument. Of course, unfortunately gigs aren’t happening now.

No problem, man. It's all groovy. So much is lost in the written word. No offense taken here. I've just fallen in love w my '90s Les Paul again, and it's the only electric ax on my current gigs. Strat stays home (for the moment, I'll probably fall back in love w her soon). ...but less equipment to carry is a plus. ...new strings before every show, check the saddles, no string breakage. One guitar will do.

As far as shows regarding the pandemic: I live in Germany and we're starting to open back up. Had my first show since Feb. last weekend and I have one tomorrow. (open air, lots of spacing between people). As a former L.A. resident, I have to say, I'm glad I'm here now. Here in Germany, we have socialized medicine for all. No cost when you go to the doctor or hospital. Why don't they let you have it over there? I used to pay a fortune for health insurance in the states! anyway: Stay healthy USA! 👍

Back
Top Bottom