iMac tech folks out there....need help

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Ok just got a new Imac in 2020 to replace my 2011 Imac(looks identical, but that is a whole other conversation). Want to give the old Imac to my daughter. I wiped the 2011 Imac, but when I turn it on, it goes to Apple logo and then a series of 2 beeps indefinitely.

Just trying to install an old MacOS on it and get it going. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I know this is off Fractal topic, but it is the Lounge!

Maybe this will help:
On some Mac models, you might hear one of these sequences of beeps at the beginning of the startup process, while the screen is still blank. These are not the same as the startup sound (chime) that a Mac can play when starting up normally.

One beep every 5 seconds​

Your Mac isn't detecting any memory (RAM). If you recently added or replaced memory, make sure that it's properly installed.

Three beeps, then a 5-second pause, repeating​

The memory in your Mac didn't pass an integrity check. If you added or replaced memory, make sure that it's properly installed.

Three long beeps, three short, then three long​

To resolve a firmware issue, your Mac is restoring its firmware. You might see a progress bar, after which your Mac should start up normally.

Maybe this will help:
On some Mac models, you might hear one of these sequences of beeps at the beginning of the startup process, while the screen is still blank. These are not the same as the startup sound (chime) that a Mac can play when starting up normally.

One beep every 5 seconds​

Your Mac isn't detecting any memory (RAM). If you recently added or replaced memory, make sure that it's properly installed.

Three beeps, then a 5-second pause, repeating​

The memory in your Mac didn't pass an integrity check. If you added or replaced memory, make sure that it's properly installed.

Three long beeps, three short, then three long​

To resolve a firmware issue, your Mac is restoring its firmware. You might see a progress bar, after which your Mac should start up normally.
I'll check this out. Probably beeps 3 times and not twice as mentioned. Thanks and I'll report back.

I'll check this out. Probably beeps 3 times and not twice as mentioned. Thanks and I'll report back.
Found this:
A looping three beeps in between three seconds during startup is your iMac's way of telling you that the operating system you're trying to boot into is incompatible with your Machardware.

Found this:
A looping three beeps in between three seconds during startup is your iMac's way of telling you that the operating system you're trying to boot into is incompatible with your Machardware.
I wiped everything. Just trying to reinstall MacOS. This computer did work and should again. Hopefully without having to take it in to have done if possible.

To use any of these key combinations, press and hold the keys immediately after pressing the power button to turn on your Mac, or after your Mac begins to restart. Keep holding until the described behavior occurs.

If I recall, Option-Command-R gives you the most recent OS your iMac can run & Shift-Option-Command-R is the original OS the iMac shipped with.

Just trying to install an old MacOS on it and get it going.

Which MacOS did you attempt to install? You will need to download High Sierra on your new iMac and follow these instructions:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Offline High Sierra download available there also.

According to this site, the 2011 iMac is only compatible to High Sierra:

1626112661236.png

Do you know which OS was installed on it? Or did you just perform a Recovery install using the iMac built in installer?

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom