I'm Using Axe Fx 2 as Recording Interface For My New Gaming YouTube Channel

Gamedojo

Power User
First off, this is NOT a guitar related post at all. But it is AxeFx related.

I started a new YouTube channel over the weekend. Gaming is a hobby of mine outside of guitar and I don't think too many guys here are going to be interested in the channel itself. But I wanted to call out the great AxeFx unit for use as a mic input/preamp for my voice over. I think it really sounds great for this application... even if it doesn't help me sound any less like a dork.

Gamedojo Gaming YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9itT3Azk-DqiI9UGUzxbVg

WARNING: Its dorky video game commentary and playthroughs. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Last edited:
Don't get anytime to play nowadays, but I still like watching playthroughs (and the occasional tournament like EVO). Nice stuff!
-
Austin

The only problem with using the Axe as a mic-pre is that it doesn't provide phantom power. So I bought a dedicated mic-preamp for that. If it weren't for phantom power, I'd have used the Axe directly.

Other than that, good luck with your gaming channel. It's nice to see a gaming channel with proper micing and sound for a change. Aside from the big Youtubers, most gaming channels have horrible audio...

Anyways, I know you didn't ask for it, but here's some advice from someone who watches way more Let's Plays and gaming channels than is good for your health:

- I like your selection of indie games so far. But I still recommend mixing it up with some classics to generate a steady viewer-base. Indie games alone won't create the buzz you need for a successful channel.
- If you have a female friend or wife who is an extroverted person, invite her as a sidekick.
Co-op channels are way more fun to watch, as people watch Let's Plays for the chatter, not the actual gaming.
- Remove the camera window if you play horror games or dramatic games; as it always destroys some of the atmosphere these games create; camera windows are good if you play trash or rely on funny faces to generate viewers... depends on where you want to go.
- Don't be that guy who begs for like & subscribe after every video. This is so annoying. If people subscribe, they do it because they like your content, not because you told them to. If you want people to subscribe for the ad revenue, it's far more effective to establish a fixed content schedule, like uploading a video on every tuesday and thursday.
- Don't have lengthy intros. They become extremely annoying very quickly. Always hop right into the action.

Last edited:
...Anyways, I know you didn't ask for it, but here's some advice from someone who watches way more Let's Plays and gaming channels than is good for your health:

- I like your selection of indie games so far. But I still recommend mixing it up with some classics to generate a steady viewer-base. Indie games alone won't create the buzz you need for a successful channel.
- If you have a female friend or wife who is an extroverted person, invite her as a sidekick.
Co-op channels are way more fun to watch, as people watch Let's Plays for the chatter, not the actual gaming.
- Remove the camera window if you play horror games or dramatic games; as it always destroys some of the atmosphere these games create; camera windows are good if you play trash or rely on funny faces to generate viewers... depends on where you want to go.
- Don't be that guy who begs for like & subscribe after every video. This is so annoying. If people subscribe, they do it because they like your content, not because you told them to. If you want people to subscribe for the ad revenue, it's far more effective to establish a fixed content schedule, like uploading a video on every tuesday and thursday.
- Don't have lengthy intros. They become extremely annoying very quickly. Always hop right into the action.

no no! I welcome suggestions. I'm winging it here and am learning as I go. I am far from any expert:
1. I agree. In my last video I even mention going mainstream in the next video. Though there are anought GTA5 and Skyrim Videos to choke a cat so I'll have to find something else. Any suggestions?
2. I've got one friend that I plan on inviting to do just that down the road, but most of my gaming buddies would probably just make fun of me a bit:)
3. I've thought of limiting the window to ONLY when I make a face, or experession..or react...etc. Wasn't sure. I'll probably implement this more in the future. Though I THINK i wanted to make more funny faces and expressions in games. I figure it helped give the channel character.
4. I figured a very quick mention at the very end wouldn't hurt. Do you think my small mention is annoying? I suppose its not necessary, but I had read its a good practice to help remind folks...
5. Intros... yes, I think I agree. I figured I was avoiding this problem by starting each video with a quick clip of something cool.. but I may be turning that into a crutch to give me license to blab too long before playing. I'll cut these down.

THanks for the advice! Hey, maybe if I improve I'll be able to get YOU to subscribe...ha...see what I did there?

no no! I welcome suggestions. I'm winging it here and am learning as I go. I am far from any expert:
1. I agree. In my last video I even mention going mainstream in the next video. Though there are anought GTA5 and Skyrim Videos to choke a cat so I'll have to find something else. Any suggestions?
This is the complicated part. You shouldn't waste your time with games that everyone played already; instead, select those games that are good, but likely sparkle the curiosity of people that did not actually play it but are interested in figuring out the hype about it. My favorite example is Bioshock. Everyone knows it's a damn good game for the story, but few people (including me) actually never played because shooters aren't their thing. Basicly, grab a story-game for your first larger project. Must not neccesarily be a new game.
What's your favorite game genre? Decide on that. There is no point in playing games you personally hate.
The best thing is doing some research directly on Youtube: take some of your favorite games and just search on YouTube and see what comes up. Endless channels of bad audio commentary or wannabe casters? Here's your chance! PewDiePie played it? Doesn't matter, because a lot of people (like me) hate this guy.

2. I've got one friend that I plan on inviting to do just that down the road, but most of my gaming buddies would probably just make fun of me a bit:)
Friends beating up each other are always entertaining to watch. Just make sure any banter doesn't look scripted.

3. I've thought of limiting the window to ONLY when I make a face, or experession..or react...etc. Wasn't sure. I'll probably implement this more in the future. Though I THINK i wanted to make more funny faces and expressions in games. I figure it helped give the channel character.
Don't get me wrong; this is great when used in moderation. Like pausing a game on an absurd event and then giving a funny face; the key is moderation. Also, only do that if it doesn't ruin the mood. I absolutely hated watching "The Walking Dead" Let's Plays from people that just didn't get that. Having some cracking jokes constantly completely ruined the feels.
A face cam is great for pointless indie games like the toilet simulator.

4. I figured a very quick mention at the very end wouldn't hurt. Do you think my small mention is annoying? I suppose its not necessary, but I had read its a good practice to help remind folks...
It's okay to mention it from time to time. People like honest people. So if you say something like "you know, guys, ad revenue helps me to continue what I'm doing and you can support me with just a single mouseclick.", that's cool. As a rule of thumb: mention it once or twice for every game you play. Most people watching LPs don't skip episodes, so there is no point in mentioning it more than once or twice per series. Definitely don't make it part of your Outro-routine. It just feels cheap. Like as if you are not proud of what you are doing. The best products advertize themselves. ;)

5. Intros... yes, I think I agree. I figured I was avoiding this problem by starting each video with a quick clip of something cool.. but I may be turning that into a crutch to give me license to blab too long before playing. I'll cut these down.
It also saves you some work. In the end, people will skip these scenes anyway if they watch for the series. If you record more episodes in advance, you can make an intro with funny scenes in every first episode of a new series to hook random dudes into your channel.

Hey, maybe if I improve I'll be able to get YOU to subscribe...ha...see what I did there?
I actually couldn't check it out yet as I'm still at work. ;)
All those suggestions were general purpose, not specifically aimed at you.

I'll take a look later that day. If I like your style, I'll push dat button, cause I always do.

...I actually couldn't check it out yet as I'm still at work. ;)
All those suggestions were general purpose, not specifically aimed at you.

I'll take a look later that day. If I like your style, I'll push dat button, cause I always do.

Well thanks for the tips!... once you DO get a chance to see a couple of my videos, I'd be interested in your reaction/suggestions.

..also, I'd be curious of some channels you DO enjoy. Might be a good reference to your tastes.

Last edited:
Well thanks for the tips!... once you DO get a chance to see a couple of my videos, I'd be interested in your reaction/suggestions.
Just watched your series on Gynophobia... and boy that was a crap game. The whole time I thought there was a big twist at the end like with "Gone home", but nope, straightforward.
The intro is actually pretty good. I'd say just cut out the preview from the intro and leave that making sounds and the logo thing there for every video. Then jump straight into the game without further commentary. Less is more. ;)

The casting itself was solid. You sometimes mumble a bit too much instead of doing some actual talking, but I guess that is something that comes with more experience.
When playing themed indiegames, don't forget sharing your oppinion at the themes discussed or the game in general; some of them are pretty amazing and deliver awesome narrative that one could discuss for days. This game was a bit boring unfortunately.
The mixing however was excellent; game volume and voice volume was perfectly matched. You don't see that a lot these days. Voice could need a bit more compression so that you don't miss out on the mumbled stuff...

All in all, I can see your channel going places. Think about that sidekick idea, though. You need someone to talk to to spice things up. It's also way more entertaining to have someone laugh when you screw up as much as in Gynophobia. ;D

..also, I'd be curious of some channels you DO enjoy. Might be a good reference to your tastes.
I guess that won't help you much, as most of them are german, but here are three channels I enjoy the most:

Gronkh - most successful german YouTuber who has an extremely adaptive style (depending on game genre and mood) and is overall funny dude. ... if you manage to create over 1500 Minecraft Let's Plays and STILL have more viewers on each of them than most bands on YT, you are clearly doing something right...
His Slender LP is legendary, in which he trys to lighten the mood at 14:00 with funny music and kids show commentary, but ultimately ends up getting even more scared because of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0noFhiUh1U

LagTV - a canadian duo that casts almost exclusively Starcraft II (which is unfortunately a pretty unpopular game); but they have an awesome duo-dynamic which is a nice example for great co-op casting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u92PA5wmH1U

Day9 - pretty fun dude all around and actually someone who has sufficient gaming skills to make it not painful to watch him playing. Bonus points for the cat sidekick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqUNAGD8UPM

Last edited:
Just watched your series on Gynophobia... and boy that was a crap game. The whole time I thought there was a big twist at the end like with "Gone home", but nope, straightforward.
The intro is actually pretty good. I'd say just cut out the preview from the intro and leave that making sounds and the logo thing there for every video. Then jump straight into the game without further commentary. Less is more. ;)

The casting itself was solid. You sometimes mumble a bit too much instead of doing some actual talking, but I guess that is something that comes with more experience.
When playing themed indiegames, don't forget sharing your oppinion at the themes discussed or the game in general; some of them are pretty amazing and deliver awesome narrative that one could discuss for days. This game was a bit boring unfortunately.
The mixing however was excellent; game volume and voice volume was perfectly matched. You don't see that a lot these days. Voice could need a bit more compression so that you don't miss out on the mumbled stuff...

All in all, I can see your channel going places. Think about that sidekick idea, though. You need someone to talk to to spice things up. It's also way more entertaining to have someone laugh when you screw up as much as in Gynophobia. ;D....

Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed response.

I'll go ahead and cut out the previews...

Mumbling...BAH! yeah... I'm hoping to get better at that. It seems to come from inexperience because of the need to be both conscious of playing the game and clear commentary. I'll focus on that a bit more.

Yes, Gynophobia is a bit of a dull game when it comes to narrative...
...I'm thinking Bioshock Infinite will be my next game to tackle. I was a HUGE Bioshock 1&2 fan and haven't gotten around to the new one yet.
...or maybe Diablo 3

Thanks again, every little bit helps!

Last edited:
Asking for likes and subscribes is the only way to go. Even for channels i like and watch everyday, I forget to click the like button, and then they remind me in the video, I do it right away.

Yo GD, lemme tell you how to run your channel too...

Whats with your negativity lately? I just stated my oppinion because he requested the feedback. >_>

Sarcasm doesn't really translate well on text messages, forums, etc. Chris is just being snarky Chris.

I subbed, GD. Best of luck, you worthless turd.

See? It doesn't translate well.

Edit: LOL!

Now it's all better.

Sarcasm doesn't really translate well on text messages, forums, etc. Chris is just being snarky Chris.

I subbed, GD. Best of luck, you worthless turd.

See? It doesn't translate well.

Edit: LOL!

Now it's all better.
I know it was sarcasm. I'm not an idiot. But there's a tiny difference between being sarcastic and being destructive.

@GameDojo:
Here's a game suggestion with an extremely strong narrative if you like to check out some heavier stuff:
This War Of Mine

This game hasn't been played by the big channels yet (probably because of the theme), so that could be a great opportunity to get people hooked into your channel.

That IS a dark sounding game! :) I'll keep it in mind. I'm getthing through the maze game and then I'm going to find a mainstream game (probably counterstrike or such) ... but That War of Mine looks good! ....lots of walkthroughs already, so it might be hard to get heard through the noise, but I may tackle it.

I know it was sarcasm. I'm not an idiot. But there's a tiny difference between being sarcastic and being destructive.

@GameDojo:
Here's a game suggestion with an extremely strong narrative if you like to check out some heavier stuff:
This War Of Mine

This game hasn't been played by the big channels yet (probably because of the theme), so that could be a great opportunity to get people hooked into your channel.

Back
Top Bottom