I'm thinking of purchasing an AX8, do you reckon there could be a mkII soon?

Gene

Inspired
Hi all, I am thinking of getting a AX8. I have an AXE FX II XL but need something handy to grab for gigs that come in - unexpected, I fill in on guitar and bass with groups who's guitarist or bassist is ill etc.

Prior to buying my AXE FX II XL, I had only just purchased the MKII (without the XL) when the MK II XL came out, had I known a new version was just about to be released I would have waited.

My fear is of this happening again with the AX8, buying it and a new version being released a few weeks later. Given that the AX8 is out a while now do you reckon there is a chance of an AX8 mkII being released any time soon?

What do you think?

Thanks.....................

Maybe, maybe not. It has only been out a little over a year now. Just get it. If a new one comes out. Get it too.

ha ha! I guess it's one of these things you have to take a chance on, but it's very annoying when that happens!! mmmmmm........ Might go for it

I asked my magic 8 Ball. It said, "Definitely soon". Based on that advice, I traveled to Tibet to ask the Lali Dama. He confirmed it. Definitely soon.

There has been no mention of a new version. The AX-8 is good as is so even if a new model does come out, the old one will do as designed for a long time.

You have to go in with the understanding that there’s a chance it might happen.

However, the question I ask myself is, does the unit suffice my need today? If yes, and if I think it’s worth it, I’ll buy it.

The flip side to this is that there will eventually be a new unit. How long are you willing to wait? 6 months? An year or two?

If the AX8 does what you need it to do today, then why not purchase it, use it and worry about upgrading later.

Just my $0.02

How could it possibly be better than it already is?? They're always adding new amps and updates. The thing can do just about anything you can imagine!! If you need more you can go the AX-FX and MFC controller option. Pull that trigger!! you won't be disappointing!!

I have a II and bought the AX8 a year and half ago. I figure the AX8 has paid for itself in what it has saved me on load in and out and foot control programming hassles. I keep the II at home and use the 8 out. The only things with the 8 are 1) noticeable lag on preset switching (which can be compensated for), 2) occasionally buggy footswitch behavior (resetting firmware fixed for me), and, of course, 3) less memory.

These things are tools, not collectibles or investments. If the tool will work for you, I would get it.

I find it reassuring to see the way earlier versions of the AxeFxII still get firmware updates, and all the new amps etc.

If there was released a new floor based unit, I’m not too worried FAS would stop supporting and developing the AX8 plattform.

I asked my magic 8 Ball. It said, "Definitely soon". Based on that advice, I traveled to Tibet to ask the Lali Dama. He confirmed it. Definitely soon.
Could you ask your magic ball for a release date? lol

I was looking at these others too, the Atomic Amplifire 12, headrush etc but from what I have read the Fractal is still most like the real amps in terms of feel and sound.

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a AX8. I have an AXE FX II XL but need something handy to grab for gigs that come in - unexpected, I fill in on guitar and bass with groups who's guitarist or bassist is ill etc.

Prior to buying my AXE FX II XL, I had only just purchased the MKII (without the XL) when the MK II XL came out, had I known a new version was just about to be released I would have waited.

My fear is of this happening again with the AX8, buying it and a new version being released a few weeks later. Given that the AX8 is out a while now do you reckon there is a chance of an AX8 mkII being released any time soon?

What do you think?

Thanks.....................

You're not gonna get an answer to this.

I don't think a new version is coming yet. The AX8 has limitations compared to the Axe-fx, but its meant to be like this, it's been out less than 2 years, and it works (without me having inside info on support cases or anything related to the production). Just speculating, I'd say that if an AX8 mk2 was planned I think it'd be a new product with more features, more like the axe-fx on the floor, and not replacing the AX8. Again...just my guesses.

Even if FAS came out with a AX8 wizzbang tomorrow it will more than likely use the same firmware so it would sound the same.

I have a II and bought the AX8 a year and half ago. I figure the AX8 has paid for itself in what it has saved me on load in and out and foot control programming hassles. I keep the II at home and use the 8 out. The only things with the 8 are 1) noticeable lag on preset switching (which can be compensated for), 2) occasionally buggy footswitch behavior (resetting firmware fixed for me), and, of course, 3) less memory.

These things are tools, not collectibles or investments. If the tool will work for you, I would get it.
That is kinda what I am thinking, using the rack unit in the studio and a floorboard one out live. I need to travel light when out as a pickup player, means I can unload from their vans quickly at the end of the night.

Back
Top Bottom