I'm still a little confused about the speaker page

firmani99

Inspired
I have read about adjusting the amp blocks speaker page to the cabinet that you are using. I have read the posts about it but still don't quite understand and wonder if someone could guide me.

From what I understand it is not important if you are just using IR's? I usually do both IR and through a cab via the FX loop.

Whenever I am running a solid state power amp into a cab it is usually a rectifier oversized 4x12 cab with stock v30's. Where should I set the speaker page and can you explain why? Occasionally I use an over size 2x12 Mesa cab. Would the setting be the same?
What about if I use a traditional sized cab? How would it affect the settings if I were to use a MArshall cab with v30's?

Thanks for bearing with me. I just want to make sure I am getting the most from my settings.

all i adjust is the low res frequency, which relates to the speaker being used, not the cab size. it applies to IR's and real cabs. look up the low res frequency of the speakers you're using on the manufacturer's website and dial n the low res freq so it's +10hz. so for example, if you visit the celestion website and look up the low res freq of the V30, you see it's 75Hz, so set the low res freq in the speaker page to 85Hz. you can do this by ear as well, simply by increasing the level and q and sweeping the frequency slowly across from 120 down to 60 and see where the bottom end really jumps out when you palm mute. then set q and level back to default.

Oh wow that was simpler than I thought. I think I was overthinking it and thought that there was more to it. Thank you!!

Pick a few Mesa amp models in the Axe that are most likely to be paired with your physical cab in real amp setups. Play each one through your cab and select the one that feels and sounds the most authentic. The speaker page settings for that amp should be a good place to start for your cab so make a note of all the settings.

Choose a different amp model, say a Marshall, and play it through your cab. Then set the speaker page to reflect the settings that you noted from the Mesa amp model as above and see how the Marshall model feels and plays compared to the original default speaker page settings that it loads with. If it sounds and feels better, then you may be close to your ideal settings for your cab. The rest is down to how fussy you are and whether you can fine tune by ear.

I think it is important to get this page right, but it is hard to know where to start. This was how I managed to tune for my cabs and get a sound and feel that I was happy with. I hope it might work for you, but I'd encourage you to give it a try as I think you might be surprised at the results.

all i adjust is the low res frequency, which relates to the speaker being used, not the cab size. it applies to IR's and real cabs. look up the low res frequency of the speakers you're using on the manufacturer's website and dial n the low res freq so it's +10hz. so for example, if you visit the celestion website and look up the low res freq of the V30, you see it's 75Hz, so set the low res freq in the speaker page to 85Hz. you can do this by ear as well, simply by increasing the level and q and sweeping the frequency slowly across from 120 down to 60 and see where the bottom end really jumps out when you palm mute. then set q and level back to default.
So if you set for the guitar cabs you are using like you stated above, will that translate to the speakers you are using for FRFR?

So if you set for the guitar cabs you are using like you stated above, will that translate to the speakers you are using for FRFR?

If you are using one amp and a Cab block to FOH, no cab to power amp -> guitar cab on stage, then the SPKR page settings are a compromise for one or the other.

I would set them to match the real cab and live with the IR in FOH not exactly matching.

If you go to the trouble of shooting your own IR of the cab, then it would be spot on for both.

If you are using one amp and a Cab block to FOH, no cab to power amp -> guitar cab on stage, then the SPKR page settings are a compromise for one or the other.

I would set them to match the real cab and live with the IR in FOH not exactly matching.

If you go to the trouble of shooting your own IR of the cab, then it would be spot on for both.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I will try to shoot my own IR.

I will say what I always say on this topic: I don' bother trying to match my IRs - I set the Low Res to the 1st or the 5th of the key I'm in, whichever is closer to the default or sounds better.

Since I'm usually in E it's E (82.41Hz) or B (123.47Hz).

Use this chart, tune it to the note you're gonna be hitting more (or a strong harmonic thereof), and go for gold.

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

Pick a few Mesa amp models in the Axe that are most likely to be paired with your physical cab in real amp setups. Play each one through your cab and select the one that feels and sounds the most authentic. The speaker page settings for that amp should be a good place to start for your cab so make a note of all the settings.

Choose a different amp model, say a Marshall, and play it through your cab. Then set the speaker page to reflect the settings that you noted from the Mesa amp model as above and see how the Marshall model feels and plays compared to the original default speaker page settings that it loads with. If it sounds and feels better, then you may be close to your ideal settings for your cab. The rest is down to how fussy you are and whether you can fine tune by ear.

I think it is important to get this page right, but it is hard to know where to start. This was how I managed to tune for my cabs and get a sound and feel that I was happy with. I hope it might work for you, but I'd encourage you to give it a try as I think you might be surprised at the results.
Oh so the speaker page on a particular amp comes set in the ballpark for the cab that it would typically be paired with? So a Rectifier model would probably already be set for a rectifier cab, Etc?

Oh so the speaker page on a particular amp comes set in the ballpark for the cab that it would typically be paired with? So a Rectifier model would probably already be set for a rectifier cab, Etc?

Yes. Take a look at similar type amps and the speaker page settings are generally quite similar because the real amps would typically be paired with similar cabs in real life. I noticed that certain of the Marshall models sounded really good with my Marshall 4x12 cab, which is similar to what they would have been paired with in reality. When I checked, I noticed that the ones that sounded and felt the best all had similar speaker page settings, but this is also true for other amps. With the right speaker page settings, then the Plexi model sounds and feels very similar to my YJM100 through my 4x12 cab. The YJM is essentially a souped up Plexi.

Once you get the right settings, the model opens up and really sounds and feels much more like the real thing IMO. All this of course is relative to the amp in the room experience playing with a power amp through a real cab.

Last edited:
I'm confused. This entire thread is predicated on using an IR thru a cab. Aren't the IRs generally designed to be used with no physical cab?

No, we are talking about the speaker page on the amp, and not using any IR's at all when playing through a real cab.

Yes. Take a look at similar type amps and the speaker page settings are generally quite similar because the real amps would typically be paired with similar cabs in real life. I noticed that certain of the Marshall models sounded really good with my Marshall 4x12 cab, which is similar to what they would have been paired with in reality. When I checked, I noticed that the ones that sounded and felt the best all had similar speaker page settings, but this is also true for other amps. With the right speaker page settings, then the Plexi model sounds and feels very similar to my YJM100 through my 4x12 cab. The YJM is essentially a souped up Plexi.

Once you get the right settings, the model opens up and really sounds and feels much more like the real thing IMO. All this of course is relative to the amp in the room experience playing with a power amp through a real cab.
Well that certainly helps me. My real cab is a Mesa and most of my go to models are Mesas!

Sooooo many options. Clicking away on the speaker tab just sends my ears into overload. Getting that stellar amp/cab combination is everything to me and I've been able to have plenty of options without even touching the speaker settings... My 2c

Back
Top Bottom